PDA

View Full Version : Great retailers ! - no wonder people buy online !

Digby
22-09-2011, 09:26 AM
I live in Tauranga - NZ's fifth biggest city.

I need an internal DVD writer (Sata) for a new PC I am building (well rebuilding)

So I went to Warehouse Stationery (where I have bought them over the years) and now they only stock an external model.

So I went to Dick Smiths and they had one (just one) in stock at $99.00 !

They have got to be joking - I used to be able to buy them at Warehouse Stationary for about $60.00

I can get them from PB Technology for about $55 incl GST and freight.

If either of these two retailers had them in stock at a reasonable price I would have bought one as I need it in a hurry as getting one from PB Tech will take a few days over the weekend banking payment etc.

I am going to phone a couple of computer shops but won't be holding my breath as 18 months ago I wanted a 500 gig hard drive and the biggest they had in stock was 160 gig ! dur.

(If not I will have to order from PB Tech and wait over the weekend)

autechre
22-09-2011, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't buy any PC parts from Warehouse or Dickies. They're either a rubbish brand or they charge twice the price that you can get it online.

Check out your local PC shops to see what they have, otherwise get one online. DVD writers are dirt cheap :D

Paul.Cov
22-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Shops need a bigger margin because of the extra level of handling involved in simply getting the item into the store, priced and on the shelf, plus the extra cost of stock damage, theft, higher rent, cleaning, upkeep and lighting bills for a shop as opposed to a shadowy warehouse in an industrial area which handles online purchases.

I have the very same issue. My employers have an online store and refuse to let the physical stores match the prices the online store offers. Frustrating for all involved.

wainuitech
22-09-2011, 09:54 AM
I went to Dick Smiths and they had one (just one) in stock at $99.00 Are they friggin kidding :eek: .

$55.00 is about right depending on brand. The Asus are about $3 more expensive than the Lite-ons. 50+ in stock of both brands so theres no excuse for any place not having them.

I wanted a 500 gig hard drive and the biggest they had in stock was 160 gig ! dur.
500GB is the SMALLEST I can get these days :D

Paul.Cov
22-09-2011, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't buy any PC parts from Warehouse or Dickies. They're either a rubbish brand or they charge twice the price that you can get it online.

Check out your local PC shops to see what they have, otherwise get one online. DVD writers are dirt cheap :D

Heh, I had a similar attitude to yours regarding Dick Smith, until I went browsing and spotted a game-worthy laptop that seemed way too cheap (store price $699).
I bought it and went home to check their online price ($899). Seems the store made a boo-boo, which their retail systems / bar code scanners failed to pick up on.
Got it cheaper than any of the offers on Pricespy as well, so I was smiling.

I gave the sales guy a bit of a clue when I said "make sure it's the one with the Radeon", and he still didn't figure out the pricing error.
Even without switching it to the gaming GPU it is still quite capable on the likes of Half Life.

Digby
22-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Shops need a bigger margin because of the extra level of handling involved in simply getting the item into the store, priced and on the shelf, plus the extra cost of stock damage, theft, higher rent, cleaning, upkeep and lighting bills for a shop as opposed to a shadowy warehouse in an industrial area which handles online purchases.

I have the very same issue. My employers have an online store and refuse to let the physical stores match the prices the online store offers. Frustrating for all involved.

You make some good points about retail shops needing an extra margin to cover all of those factors.

But If they only have one in stock and are selling it for far too greedy a price, they will not sell any and will make no profit on stocking it.

I would buy it today from them if it were $50 or $60 dollars as I want it today.
But I do not feel like handing over $40 of my hard earned money for having one item in stock.
And swiping it though their eftpos machine

pctek
22-09-2011, 01:28 PM
I
So I went to Warehouse Stationery
So I went to Dick Smiths

Neither of whom are a PC store.
Both of whom would be expensive.

22-09-2011, 01:56 PM
just remembering another thread about length of warranties...

again, complaints about pricing.
People want retailers to sell things with a $5 profit, & then will expect all the warranty & after sales help in the world
:banana

If you want to buy from a retailer, pay retail pricing.

Digby
22-09-2011, 01:56 PM
So I phoned a computer store this morning and they have some Sata DVD drives in stock at $65.
So I am going to buy one from them this avro.

(But this is the store that a year ago only had a 160 gig hard drive in stock!)

gum digger
22-09-2011, 02:02 PM
That's why you don't do grocery shopping a petrol petrol station.

Agent_24
22-09-2011, 04:52 PM
That's why you don't do grocery shopping a petrol petrol station.

x2 - only a madman would buy a DVD drive from the Warehouse :lol:

For stuff like that I just go to Pricespy and find the cheapest dealer. (!)

However Dick-Smith isn't a bad place for things like 2.5"->3.5" HDD mounting brackets.

CYaBro
22-09-2011, 05:04 PM
We're a computer store / workshop and we don't keep much stuff in stock otherwise it could sit around too long and then you lose money.
Pretty much all customers that come in don't mind waiting a day for us to get stuff up overnight.

Netsukeninja
22-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Yeah DSE are ridiculously over-priced.

Want some RAM for your laptop? 4GB DDR3-1333 SO-DIMM

DSE - $249
Notebook city - $42.26 incl. shipping

You could get 5 SO-DIMM's from NBCity and a 12-pack for $249.

wainuitech
22-09-2011, 06:54 PM
We're a computer store / workshop and we don't keep much stuff in stock otherwise it could sit around too long and then you lose money.
Pretty much all customers that come in don't mind waiting a day for us to get stuff up overnight. Agree with that -- Overnight as long as I order by 4pm, if I'm really in a hurry - 1 hour, but not always the brand I prefer.

icow
22-09-2011, 07:23 PM
+1
DSE is terrible for buying ram.

Bobh
22-09-2011, 07:26 PM
I find it hard to get computer parts from any shops in Invercargill. Last September 2010 I got this computer from ComputerLounge. They assembled it and installed Windows 7 on it for me. I neglected to add a DVD Writer to the list of parts I ordered. I needed a DVD drive to install my software and I was in a hurry so I ended up buying a DVD drive from Bond and Bond in Invercargill for $80. It was snowing that day.

I find it cheaper to buy parts and software online from ComputerLounge or Elive. I recently bought Corel Draw X5 from Elive at a much cheaper price than Harvey Norman was selling it for.

Local shops must be reluctant to hold stocks of computer parts or software that can become outdated before they can sell them.

I do find Dick Smith ok for buying connections.

Greven
22-09-2011, 07:39 PM
The computer shop only stocking 160GB drives might have just been out of stock on bigger drives that day. Small stores can't afford to have too much stock on hand, especially if it is an expensive product that is likely to drop in price soon.
As for pricing, there is no way we can compete with the tiny markups of the online stores - for a lot of products it is almost as cheap to buy from Playtech as it is to buy from Dove.

mikebartnz
22-09-2011, 09:33 PM

I bought a 1TB ext Adata HD from the Warehouse stationary. There was nothing wrong with the price at the time and it is a great little drive.

Iantech
22-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Only time I will use Dick Smiths is sometimes to buy a cheap epson printer for about $60 when they are on special (for a client). They dont like haggling on their prices much though.

Beemer
22-09-2011, 11:18 PM
I wasn't looking for anything more than an ergonomic keyboard but went to Warehouse Stationery as they had a good coupon special on last weekend. Several staff ignored me and my husband for about 10 minutes so after not finding any Mac compatible ones, I asked if they had any. "um, I don't think so, err no" was the answer. I also had to ask where the mouse pads were. The service was sadly lacking by all staff in the store.

What is it with stationery stores? The Office Products Depot in Levin is shocking. I bought some erasable pens there recently and as I bought half a dozen at the time and paid by eftpos, I didn't notice the price I'd paid until I got home but found I'd paid about $9 each for them. I'd bought the last one Paper Plus had the same day and paid $4.99 so I returned them and ordered more from PP. The staff in OPD and Warehouse Stationery are so unhelpful it's not funny, so I won't bother going there for anything now.

Digby
23-09-2011, 09:26 AM
What is it with stationery stores? The Office Products Depot in Levin is shocking. I bought some erasable pens there recently and as I bought half a dozen at the time and paid by eftpos, I didn't notice the price I'd paid until I got home but found I'd paid about $9 each for them. I'd bought the last one Paper Plus had the same day and paid $4.99 so I returned them and ordered more from PP. The staff in OPD and Warehouse Stationery are so unhelpful it's not funny, so I won't bother going there for anything now.

I don't think you can generalise about staff in chain stores etc.

At Warehouse Stationary in Tauranga there is a young Asian guy who knows his tech stuff and he is very good.
OPD are individually owned stores so its up to each store owner to train their staff.

pctek
23-09-2011, 01:46 PM
I don't think you can generalise about staff in chain stores etc.

At Warehouse Stationary in Tauranga there is a young Asian guy who knows his tech stuff and he is very good.

Occasionally you come across some smart person stuck in the wrong job, often you find when you go back, they're gone.

Beemer
23-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Occasionally you come across some smart person stuck in the wrong job, often you find when you go back, they're gone.

I agree. I wasn't knocking big chains as I've had great service from some, but every OPD store I've been in has had staff who really don't seem to like customers! Hals the time I can wander around for ages without anyone coming to help, and if they do help, they don't have what I want or it's dearer than elsewhere.