PDA

View Full Version : XP reinstall problem

Bryan
22-09-2011, 09:23 AM
I am trying to reinstall XP but I am having difficulty in files not being found on the install CD.

This is a problem that seems to select different files each time I try to carry out the reinstall. It is never the same file at at each attempt of the reinstall, just a random selection problem.

Has anyone struck this problem before and how can I correct it?

Speedy Gonzales
22-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Is it a legit XP CD?? Are you doing a clean install?

Iantech
22-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Many things can cause random disk errors. Faulty ram is known to cause installation problems just as you have mentioned, but first make sure your CD is clean (no grubby fingerprints) and not scratched or cracked. It might also be a drive error in which case it will require replacing. I would have a good look at the disk first though. Is the drive making any unusual noises when reading the disk just before it faults?

Bryan
22-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Yes it is legit and I am doing a clean install. I did wonder about the CD drive but everything else I have used the drive for has worked perfectly.

The problem occurs when copying files straight after the setting up of the network. I have tried again this morning and the only file not found was hypertrm.dl-.

Can anyone advise a site where I can get SP3? Do I have to load SP2 first?

wainuitech
22-09-2011, 10:09 AM
As its been mentioned, when I've had these problems its either been the CD or the optical drive causing the problem, or a combination of both, the Drive simply doest like the CD for some reason.

if you want SP3 Download from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24) Scroll down to system requirements for answer to needing SP2 first :)

Bryan
22-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Right! I've just attempted to use the optical drive from my main PC and attached it to the problem PC. Same problems so I guess the CD is at fault.

One last chance for it and I will try the memory option.

Bryan
22-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Just completed the reinstall using less memory. Only two files missing this time and I find I can't create shortcuts on the desktop but i will figure it out.

Thanks for the suggestions.