PDA

View Full Version : kindle

lostsoul62
22-09-2011, 05:02 AM
I wanted to buy a text book in digital format because I read from my computer and not from a book. Now this book is $36 which comes with a DVD and has the Ebook which I can load into my computer and read the book like I want and now I have a 5 pound book that I can keep for my book shelf or just spend $4 less and for $32 get the kindle format. Can I take this Kindle book and put it into my computer which is not on the Internet and read it? What is the value of Kindle? I take a small notebood and put in a PDF file for the book I want so what do I need kindle for? I don't read novels just text books.

Erayd
22-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Noting it's a textbook, I strongly recommend you pay the extra $4 and get the dead-tree version as well. While ebook readers are definitely great, in my experience they can be incredibly frustrating when you want to do traditional textbooky things like constantly flip between sections, write margin notes etc.

You can read Kindle books on your PC if you want, but you'll have a hard time doing so on a PC without an internet connection due to the DRM involved, unless the textbook is provided DRM-free (which is extremely unlikely).

gary67
22-09-2011, 01:53 PM
You can download Kindle for PC but as pointed out I doubt it would work without a network connection. I always go for either ePub or PDF and use Calibre as my host on my win 7 netbook

Erayd
22-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Note that Calibre can't cope with DRM formats either - if you want to use Calibre to read, you'll need to strip the DRM off first.

Agent_24
22-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Note that Calibre can't cope with DRM formats either - if you want to use Calibre to read, you'll need to strip the DRM off first.

You can get plugins for it that remove DRM.

Erayd
22-09-2011, 03:23 PM
You can get plugins for it that remove DRM.Yep, I'm aware of that - just didn't think I should be pointing that out here ;).

Pato
22-09-2011, 04:36 PM
I am watching these threads with interest. I want to get an e-reader but am not sure whether to get a Kindle or the new Sony PRST1BC that is coming
out next month. I think the Sony touch system may be easier to use.?

Erayd
22-09-2011, 05:01 PM
I am watching these threads with interest. I want to get an e-reader but am not sure whether to get a Kindle or the new Sony PRST1BC that is coming
out next month. I think the Sony touch system may be easier to use.?I'd personally rate the Sony readers as miles ahead of the Kindle, mainly for the following reasons: Kindles can't read EPUB files - Sony readers can. As almost all purchased ebooks are provided with DRM, and almost all retailers sell their ebooks as EPUB files, this basically means that you're limited to buying books only from Amazon, unless you want to strip the DRM off files you purchase and then convert them into a format that the Kindle can read.
The touchscreen interface. There's just no comparison; side-by-side, the Kindle's interface feels like a complete joke. Now that I own a touchscreen reader, I will never, ever go back.
Book management. If you have a large collection, Sony's readers do a much better job of making it easily accessible.
PDF reflow. The Sony readers can rewrap the text of a PDF to fit the screen, which makes it vastly easier to view documents with a large page size. The Kindle can't.
Build quality. I haven't seen a T1 in person yet, but the build quality of both the 505 and the 650 is much better than the Kindle.

A little bit more on the touch interface - areas where this really shines are: Double-tap a word for a dictionary lookup.
Menu & collection navigation.
Text highlighting and notation.
Screen-swipe page turning (the traditional page-turn buttons are still there too, if you want them - I find that I alternate between the two, at about 70% screen 30% buttons).

A bit of background to the above: I'm a *very* heavy ebook user, and tend to avoid paper versions if at all possible.
I've owned a Sony reader since May 2008 (PRS-505), and upgraded to the PRS-650 in October 2010.

If you have questions, please feel free to ask, and I'll provide further detail :).

Richard
22-09-2011, 05:19 PM
I have been trying to get a Sony PRS-650 for ages, but it seems they have been in short supply world-wide. Whitcoulls have a new touchscreen Kobo due out at the end of the month. Look on the Kobo website to get specs and comparisons with other e-readers including Sony. Looks quite good to me.

Pato
22-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Erayd, Many thanks for that comprehensive reply. I don't think the T1 is out until the end of next month but they can be pre-ordered from Sony. I presume the T1 will have all the facilities of your 650. It is a bit difficult buying an ereader that you can't have a play with. I wasn't aware of DRM. Have just done a Google search and I can see what you mean. I have an Ipod touch so am familiar with the touch pad. The T1 doesn't have 3G but I guess that is not really a problem.

Pato
22-09-2011, 05:24 PM
I have been trying to get a Sony PRS-650 for ages, but it seems they have been in short supply world-wide. Whitcoulls have a new touchscreen Kobo due out at the end of the month. Look on the Kobo website to get specs and comparisons with other e-readers including Sony. Looks quite good to me.Thanks. I hadn't thought about a Kobo. Have a look at the PRST1BC on the Sony site, it may not be as good as the PRS-650.

Erayd
22-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I have been trying to get a Sony PRS-650 for ages, but it seems they have been in short supply world-wide.Indeed - I believe this was a combination of screen supply shortage, and clearing the distribution channels to make way for the T1.

Whitcoulls have a new touchscreen Kobo due out at the end of the month. Look on the Kobo website to get specs and comparisons with other e-readers including Sony. Looks quite good to me.The previous Kobo models were terrible, but they've been showing a trend of steady improvement - this could well be worth a look :).

Erayd, Many thanks for that comprehensive reply. I don't think the T1 is out until the end of next month but they can be pre-ordered from Sony.No worries.

I presume the T1 will have all the facilities of your 650.
Have a look at the PRST1BC on the Sony site, it may not be as good as the PRS-650.My understanding is that the T1 retains most of the features of the 650, but does make the odd compromise (e.g. no aluminium body) in order to compete price-wise with Amazon (Sony's selling the T1 for $230 NZ - the PRS-650 was $400 NZ). Take that with a grain of salt though; I have yet to see one in person. The software also has a few upgrades.

It is a bit difficult buying an ereader that you can't have a play with.If you live in Auckland, Wellington, or Christchurch, just head down to one of the Sony stores - they should have them available for you to check out shortly.

I wasn't aware of DRM. Have just done a Google search and I can see what you mean.Yeah... it's an annoying situation; my usual approach these days is to strip the DRM off anything I buy on principle (and so that I can use Calibre to properly manage my collection). I wish books would follow the music market and simply sell DRM-free files, but so far Baen is the only publisher I'm aware of who does that.

I have an Ipod touch so am familiar with the touch pad.It's a slightly different technology - the Sony readers use an infrared system in order to avoid putting anything in front of the screen. The end result is *very* responsive, extremely accurate, and picks up more than just fingers - unlike an iPod Touch, hair brushing over the screen will be detected, and you can use a stylus with it if you really want to (although you don't need this, fingers are more than sufficient).

The T1 doesn't have 3G but I guess that is not really a problem.This is one of those features that can be either a blessing or a curse, depending on whether you see it as useful. I personally wouldn't want either 3G or WiFi in a reader; they're only really good for impulse purchases, and shorten the battery life. Thankfully it's something you can easily turn off.

Pato
22-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Great. I now have some idea of which way to go. Appreciate your help.

pctek
22-09-2011, 08:56 PM
what do I need kindle for? I don't read novels just text books.
You don't.
Buy the paper version.
If you were a reader it might have a point, but it won't get used when you're done studying.
And as has been said, can't make notes on a machine.

Agent_24
22-09-2011, 09:23 PM
eBooks are useful, but I find them annoying because you have to have a computer or some other device which runs on annoyingly always-having-to-charge batteries handy.

Also you can't just chuck said device down on a table and expect it to still work afterwards.

Erayd
22-09-2011, 10:44 PM
...annoyingly always-having-to-charge batteries...Not if you're using an e-ink reader; they'll happily go for several weeks between charges :thumbs:.

Agent_24
22-09-2011, 10:52 PM
I don't have one, the most portable device I have is a netbook.