PDA

View Full Version : Forcing an XP driver into windows 7

milkster1976
21-09-2011, 07:39 PM
I was playing around with loading win 7 on old hardware and ran into a problem with lack of drivers
when I mean old hardware I mean really old 1000mhz processor 500Mb ram 32Mb onboard video etc
anyway I worked out a way of forcing xp drivers into seven this has worked for me 75 percent of the time on win7 and server 2008.
so I thought of sharing the technique with my fellow hobbyist and students.
I only force the three main required drivers sound, video, ethernet

WARNING this is for recreational use only there is no substitute for new hardware and sometimes old hardware just stops working or is incompatible.
Anyway here it is.

First you need windows xp running on the target machine with the drivers installed and operating properly

download a free copy of Double driver
from http://double-driver.en.softonic.com/
I used the alternative download located at the bottom of the download page

now extract the files and run the program
select backup
scan current system
now what will happen is all third party drivers will have a green tick
what we have to do is create single, single file self extracting executables for this demo i am just going to do my video driver
go through the list and uncheck every driver except your video driver
now select back up now
choose a location and select the output option single file self extract ( executable )
select ok

now repeat this until you have copies of the drivers you are missing.
Now load windows seven onto target machine ( how ever you normally do this )

now to force the driver you do the following as it is written otherwise it wont work

Right click the executable
select properties
select compatibility
tick the box run this program in compatibility mode for (windows xp service pack 3)
select apply then ok now double click the executable and away you go ( do not forget to restart your computer )

Speedy Gonzales
21-09-2011, 08:08 PM
I would be careful, with doing that. What exactly was it that had no drivers?

GameJunkie
21-09-2011, 08:31 PM
:spam

wainuitech
21-09-2011, 08:48 PM
On some occasions that can give problems and everything turns pear shaped and things really screw up.

Running software & drivers in compatibility mode has been going on for quite a while, thats nothing new,it's always a risk though as anything can happen.

What sometimes can be a challenge, is if the PC/Laptop has Windows Vista or 7 originally and you want to install XP when there are no drivers. Had to do that a few weeks back on a customers Laptop, had Vista, and the manufacture (HP/Compaq) didn't have XP drivers.

The "trick" was actually quite simple to get them to install - download the Vista Drivers, and run the exe as per normal, it would error with a message along the lines of "not compatible with this version of windows". They would unpack to their normal location C:/HP/Drivers, then all you had to do was go in Via device manager, update driver and point at the appropriate folder and they installed.

One thing is curious though -- the title of this thread & saying installed windows 7 ???,
1000mhz processor 500Mb ram 32Mb onboard video etc
I'd be very surprised if windows 7 would even install on those spec's let alone run, as the RAM alone is half of the minimum.

milkster1976
21-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Sorry I have left something out
the original story is like this
I download the XP driver, loaded 7 on to the machine attempted to install the driver using compatibility mode, got the usual this driver isn't compatible with this os reply.
I have reloaded xp on to machine and installed the xp video driver, I have then used the for-mentioned technique to repackage the driver into a package that windows seven can except.. ( so the title of this post should have been how to re package a driver to work on seven. )
I have tried the technique to re-package a vista driver to work on xp but I have only had a 25 percent success rate .so I wouldn't recommend it for that

( sorry for not being clearer ).

wainuitech
21-09-2011, 10:17 PM
That makes it clearer.

One thing I like about the HP/Compaq drivers they unpack all the files in one folder on the C: drive, in their own separate folders - folder for Audio, folder for Video, Chip set etc. Then if the not compatible with OS messages pops up, at least you know where they are to install other ways.

milkster1976
21-09-2011, 10:18 PM
"One thing is curious though -- the title of this thread & saying installed windows 7"

My mistake i shall take that on board and try to be more professional in future post
thank you very much for your creative criticism i find it very helpful and informative

milkster1976
21-09-2011, 10:20 PM
"One thing I like about the HP/Compaq drivers they unpack all the files in one folder on the C: drive,"
I second that :)

wainuitech
21-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Try putting in at least a 1 gig + of RAM as long as the slots are available and the board will take it, even running on 1 GB W7 is a pig or runs like a car with flat tyres and the hand brake on :D

I've once run W7 on 1 GB as a trial :sleep-- lets say it didn't take long to add more RAM

milkster1976
21-09-2011, 10:32 PM
lol this machine was just lying around i was bored and curious,
it was an old dell there is no way on this planet i was actually going to spend money on it, i think right at this minute its out in my shed propping up one of my work benches
someone gave it to me so that they didn't have to pay to dump it
i am almost tempted to reboot it up for a laugh and see what the windows seven performance score is, it will probably read 0.0000001 or error lol

pcuser42
21-09-2011, 11:08 PM
lol this machine was just lying around i was bored and curious,
it was an old dell there is no way on this planet i was actually going to spend money on it, i think right at this minute its out in my shed propping up one of my work benches
someone gave it to me so that they didn't have to pay to dump it
i am almost tempted to reboot it up for a laugh and see what the windows seven performance score is, it will probably read 0.0000001 or error lol

Well this 2006 Dell I have with 1GB RAM scores a 1.0 so you might be right :lol:

mzee
21-09-2011, 11:16 PM
I have often used XP drivers in W7. The error message usually stops normal installation, but the .inf file is usually accepted without question. make sure that you have a backup as the wrong driver can crash Windows.

Iantech
21-09-2011, 11:59 PM
What will win7 run on? Here is a screeny of the lowest spec system I am aware of. 512Mb ram was installed at first as it was required to run the installer, and then it was removed/replaced. Cant say I would actually like to use it for much.

milkster1976
22-09-2011, 12:45 AM
now thats funny
i have no idea on the lowest specs that seven can run on
although remaining usable is another question :)

mzee
22-09-2011, 04:22 PM
I have a 'pruned' version of Windows 7 Ultimate which was running on an Asus Eee701 net book. As the drive is only 4gb there was no room for a swap file, so installed 2gb Ram. Software and some system files were put on an SD Card. It was very stable and reasonably nimble. The processor was run at full speed.

I have now put it back on XP as my son has borrowed it and he wanted to use the SD slot.

Agent_24
22-09-2011, 04:45 PM
If you hack the installer you can get Vista (and maybe Win7 as well) to install under 256MB of RAM.

pcuser42
22-09-2011, 05:47 PM
If you hack the installer you can get Vista (and maybe Win7 as well) to install under 256MB of RAM.

I Remember that patch back in the early days of Vista betas, people were basically saying "why bother" :p

Agent_24
22-09-2011, 05:52 PM
I Remember that patch back in the early days of Vista betas, people were basically saying "why bother" :p

I agree, you'd be mad to do that. 2GB minimum if you want Vista to run well.

Funny though that XP runs a lot better on the official minimum of 64MB than Vista does on its minimum!

mzee
22-09-2011, 09:05 PM

You can also install it on a larger drive and then make an Image of it (Acronis), then do a "Universal" restore to the computer you need it on. Universal restore will remove any drivers which may prevent Windows from running.

Agent_24
22-09-2011, 09:24 PM
You can also install it on a larger drive and then make an Image of it (Acronis), then do a "Universal" restore to the computer you need it on. Universal restore will remove any drivers which may prevent Windows from running.

Not a bad idea, but there's one problem: It's still Vista.

pcuser42
22-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Not a bad idea, but there's one problem: It's still Vista.

Yeah, it needs to be Windows 7 :D