PDA

View Full Version : Search questions - Windows 7

BBCmicro
21-09-2011, 11:54 AM
I accidentally dropped a bunch of files in an unknown location and used the Search box to find them, searching for Suburb*.txt, being part of one of the file's names

Well, it's still going after 23 minutes! The HDD is only 80 GB and this is a reasonably fast computer (i5-750).

I got some tips from a few help screens. In a new instance of explorer I made the same search but with System.FileName:~= in front of the search string. This time the search took a few seconds and found the file. (The other search has just completed. It took 28 minutes but did find the file.)

It would seem that by default Search looks for a string of text even though it should've been obvious that I wanted a file. How dumb is that? Putting System.FileName:~= in front of the string works, but (at my age :() I will never remember that

My questions:

- if I index my HDD, will this make searching for new strings quicker? ('new' = not indexed, such as accidentally-dropped files)

- if I index everything, including a dozen or so external drives, will it matter that the drive letters keep changing? I wouldn't want it start indexing freshly each time I connect a drive

wainuitech
21-09-2011, 12:08 PM
When windows 7 very first is installed, by default it starts to index the system. Thats why many people complain about it slowing down the PC and turn it off, after a short while windows then speeds up as its finished indexing.
Search looks for a string of text even though it should've been obvious that I wanted a file Once again, the search looks for everything, everywhere, including inside emails, documents that has the words you want.
You may have a file, text document or email that contains the same words, so it will locate them. It does struggle with characters though Eg: = ~ *.

If you did a test, say create a word document call it gobble de gook :) save it to your desktop or anywhere else for that matter, then click on start, search and type in gobb it should find it instantly.

You can also do searches on other computers if you are on a LAN, thats really helpful if you know the name of a file, document, but cant remember exactly where it is on the other PC / Server etc.

For external drives, depends, as long as the drive letter remains the same for that drive it should index it OK.

Edited:
Take a look at This site here (http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-file-search-indexing-options/) instead of typing in search, type in Index - ( works better to locate the options) in the options you can tinker to your hearts content changing what it will and wont search for, and locations as well.

pctek
21-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Turn indexing off and use Agent Ransack.

BBCmicro
21-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Wainui the link you provided has a hundred comments all of them negative about Windows 7 Search... That's not exactly my experience but I do miss the search in XP

I've just done a test search on an external drive. System.Filename:~=Aerial found the file Aerial1.avi while I was typing the search string.

But System.Filename:~=Aerial*.avi found nothing! (In spite of Suburb*.txt working before) ???? I'll have to remember not to use *

The good news is that the search box (the one that's upper right in Explorer, not the Start one) brings up recent search strings. It means I don't have to remember System.Filename:~= because it will be there as part of a previous search. I just need to edit it

pctek
21-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Agent Ransack.

wainuitech
21-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Some people simply like to complain and don't like new functions. Sometimes its because they don't use them properly or the settings are not set correctly.

W7 search is fast when its used and working like it is meant to - many third party programs can have an effect as well.

How fast ??? If I search for something on my own PC's , its VERY rare its not found within 2-3 seconds as long as I put in correctly part or all of its name. Over the LAN, I can search the contents of 3 servers, and 5 other PC's in less than a minute usually.

Heres an example, all my servers are indexed on my main office W7 PC - take a look at the attachment to see how much data is held over 3 software folders. I did a search in the biggest one for partition magic took less than 1 second to find all the options. BUT it was using W7's search correctly with the server/ Location for the operation I was wanting to do.

BBCmicro
21-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Hmm - so Win 7 search really requires Indexing to be turned on... It's one of the things I've stayed clear of. (Like Aero and libraries) Might have to give it a go and then I'll know for sure

I installed Agent Ransack to try it out - must say I am impressed. Context menu is as convenient as the Explorer search box (thanks Pctek)

pcuser42
21-09-2011, 11:10 PM
It's one of the things I've stayed clear of. (Like Aero and libraries)

:eek:

pctek
22-09-2011, 01:30 PM
:D

I installed Agent Ransack to try it out - must say I am impressed. Context menu is as convenient as the Explorer search box (thanks Pctek)
:D
Sometimes Windows is OK.

Sometimes 3rd party rules.

..............Actually most of the time 3rd party rules.