PDA

View Full Version : Home wifi login password

tinakarori
20-09-2011, 03:40 PM
I want to link a laptop to my home wifi network. Unfortunately I do not remember the (complex) password, cannot find it written anywhere, and the techie who set up the network and then-current PCs etc seems to have vanished.

Can anyone advise me how to find out the password, whether from the modem/router, or from one of the existing PCs?

Speedy Gonzales
20-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Run this (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html) . That should tell you the password in windows. Download is at the bottom. Altho it may depend on what youre using for the wireless (windows or a separate program)

tinakarori
20-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks Speedy, but my present (connected) laptop won't carry out the download: I just get a screen message "wirelesskeyview.zip is unsafe to download and was blocked by SmartScreen Filter." I've had a look through the Wireless Key View FAQs, but I don't have the knowledge to avoid or disable the blocking programs.

Speedy Gonzales
20-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Well its safe. So if you cant get it with IE use firefox or something else

decibel
20-09-2011, 11:48 PM
If you plug a PC / laptop into the router using an ethernet cable, you can often see the wifi password in clear text.
(but you need to know the admin login password. If you don't know this, you can reset everything to the default settings AFTER finding the default logon/password on the internet)

ronyville
21-09-2011, 12:05 PM
any chance you have a Vista or Windows 7 computer that is currently connected to the wireless? you can easily find the password by going into the "manage wireless networks", double click the wifi name and click on the "security" tab, and tick the box that says "show characters", and it will display the password.