PDA

View Full Version : Problem with domain name email address/GMail

Beemer
20-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Years ago when my website was set up, the guy who set it up gave me an email address (myname@thedomainname.co.nz) and a catch-all that would direct all emails with the domain name.co.nz to that address. That was fine, and it was hosted through Horde originally. A year or so back he updated everything and it was set up as a GMail account. I haven't had any problems alternating between the two accounts I had until this week when I started setting up my email accounts in Outlook on my new iMac.

Despite knowing my username and password and the settings for the account (copied out of Outlook on my old PC), it's not working properly. First of all it downloaded the emails but wouldn't send (I had to correct the outgoing server address), but now it keeps telling me 'An operation on the server timed out. The server may be down, overloaded, or there may be too much net traffic."

I used the iPad and managed to log on to my domain name email account, and while I was at it I decided to changed the password. That appears to have been a big mistake, as now Gmail won't let me go any further without changing everything! It came up with a screen that said something about having two Gmail accounts (I do, and the other one I switch to as it's where I get all large files sent that I don't want clogging up my inbox in Outlook) and that they need to merge. I opened up the page about that and it had one account with the domain name details and it said that was now the organisational name and I had to set up a personal account,

It took me to a Welcome to Gmail page where it says: "you are currently signed in to your personal Google Account with a temporary login name. If you complete this form, you'll be adding Gmail to this account, and your Gmail address will become your primary account username".

I had obviously done something wrong when I went in to change my password (I was working on the iPad and must have typed in something wrong) as when I try and log in to the domain name email account now, it tells me: "You are trying to access Gmail with the following Google Account (byname@domainname.co.nz). However, you are already signed in as (myname%domainname.co.nz@gtempaccount.com). You can either cancel this request or switch to a new Google Account to access Gmail."

I tried signing out of the temporary account and now it won't let me sign back into the previous one that was set up! I was able to put in my username and password but it's just taking me to a blank page and keeps showing that it's loading but it won't open at all. It shows 'untitled' at the top of the iPad web page.

So I appear to have lost my domain name email address at present - any idea how to get it back? I emailed the guy who set it up for me days ago about something else and haven't had a response, so I may have to hunt out his phone number and try calling him.

I carried on and set up a personal account, thinking I would then be able to switch to the organisational account, but all I get is the old Gmail account I had set up before, which was called (my domain name). But where are the emails sent to myname@domainname.co.nz? I just sent one from Outlook to that address to see if I could find it anywhere but god knows where it's going. It's my main business email address and I appear to have somehow lost it! Any advice?

Beemer
20-09-2011, 03:13 PM
The guy who set it up was from Silvertech but there are no contact details other than an email address on his site now and the number I had for him isn't working. Does anyone know Rob and have any way of letting him know I am trying to contact him urgently?

This is my main business email address and I now have no way of accessing the web server or knowing where those emails are ending up! HELP!!!

Poppa John
20-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Type Silvertech into Google. I got him in Rangiora, which is where godfather is/was living.PJ

Beemer
20-09-2011, 03:35 PM
I can find his website, but it doesn't have any phone numbers on it and the mobile I had for him is not currently connected. I've looked at the online White Pages but no joy there either. I am really frustrated as I currently have no access, either in Outlook or on a web server, to my main email account!

psycik
20-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Are there contact details for the guy on the domain record of your domain name? Do a whois on it http://www.loungenetwork.co.nz/whois/

Beemer
20-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Yes, but unfortunately it only has his mobile number and that's the one that isn't working! I don't have a landline number for him and nothing is coming up under his name on White Pages. Looks like he will be the only one who can fix this but he's in Rangiora and I'm in Levin and he's not responding to emails so far, and it's a bit far for me to go and visit him - if I had more than a PO Box number anyway!

Poppa John
20-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Pm coming PJ.

psycik
20-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Do you have the UDAI that you could grab the domain name and control it yourself?

Beemer
20-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks PJ. Left a message for the contact you gave me, but not sure they can help.

If I am unable to get hold of Rob, can anyone please tell me if there are ANY options for recovering that email address that is attached to my domain name, even if it has to be hosted elsewhere? Or would Rob have to do something at his end to enable this to happen? Not being awful, but what if he's died? Is there anything that can be done?

I own the domain name and pay for it, but at present I am unable to get my emails and I need urgent assistance!

Beemer
20-09-2011, 04:32 PM
I know I was given that at some stage but god knows when or where it may be. Would the place I pay my registration to be able to help with that? It was through Webbase.

Beemer
20-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Right, now I am getting somewhere! I contacted Webbase but they said they only do my domain name and directed me to Sitehost, but they can't do anything for me and suggested I contact Rob. Thankfully they had an alternative number for him, so I rang that and spoke to his wife. She said he's lecturing at present but she would pass on a message to him. So fingers crossed this may all be sorted by tonight!

Beemer
20-09-2011, 05:13 PM
That was quick - all sorted, don't know what the problem was before but Rob fixed it in seconds over the phone! Phew!

Snorkbox
20-09-2011, 05:16 PM
You had better suss everything out before he dies then.

Beemer
20-09-2011, 05:44 PM
You had better suss everything out before he dies then.

Lol! All in hand!

Beemer
20-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Well, sort of sorted...! The site won't open on the iPad whereas before it had no trouble. Even when I copy letter for letter what the desktop is showing in the browser, it loads and keeps showing a blank page with 'untitled' at the top and then it just quits.

And I still can't get the settings right to download the emails into Outlook, so as he hasn't responded to my emails tonight, I'll have to try ringing him again tomorrow. Bugger!