PDA

View Full Version : simple down to earth e mail program

bonzo29
20-09-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm still using outlook express on my XP desktop computer and it suits my simple needs perfectly.
My W7 laptop is another thing, I hate using something that's floating around on a lump of cumulus out there.
what do you recommend that stores the messages on the laptop please

Alex B
20-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Windows Live Mail is the replacement for outlook express.

bonzo29
20-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Windows Live Mail is the replacement for outlook express.

Thanks, isnt Live Mail cloud computing only?

dugimodo
20-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Thunderbird is pretty good, and similar enough to outlook express to pick up easily.
I use the portable version on a flash drive as I tend to use multiple PCs, although mostly I find webmail to be perfectly fine.

There is something different about how live mail works I think, but I don't recall what it was. In any case it also works well.

Erayd
20-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks, isnt Live Mail cloud computing only?Nope - as Alex B has stated, the replacement app for Outlook Express is called Windows Live Mail.

I agree with the Thunderbird recommendations - it's hard to go wrong with TB unless you have rather unusual requirements.

AvonBill
20-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Outlook Express (XP and previous) -> Windows Mail (Vista) -> Windows Live Mail

Windows Live Mail is distributed as part of Windows Live Essentials and is a PC based mail client program.

Windows Live is also Microsoft's collective name for Hotmail/Messenger/Skydrive which is "cloud" based and that is where the confusion lies.

gary67
20-09-2011, 05:00 PM
There's always Pimero, looks like outlook 03 but isn't, not sure how good it is as have never used it

pctek
20-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Mozilla Thunderbird
Windows Live Mail
Opera
Pegasus Mail
Mulberry
Foxmail
DreamMail
Alpine
Sylpheed
i.Scribe
Eudora

To name a few..........

lakewoodlady
20-09-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm still using outlook express on my XP desktop computer and it suits my simple needs perfectly.
My W7 laptop is another thing, I hate using something that's floating around on a lump of cumulus out there.
what do you recommend that stores the messages on the laptop please

You can get your mail downloaded to Windows Live Mail from any ISP or another email address like hotmail or gmail etc. Just phone your ISP and they will give you the settings. If you don't know how to set it up, get on here and we'll help.

LL

Speedy Gonzales
20-09-2011, 06:23 PM
I just copied windows mail from Vista and used that instead :p PS: You have to get the rest of the files online (the registry stuff). So Win7 knows its there

mzee
21-09-2011, 07:50 PM
I have used "Free Agent" since Windows 98. It will run on any Windows PC, does not have to be installed and is fine on a Thumb drive. It is also a very good News Group reader. Only handles one Email account but as the program is very small you can have as many as you like.

Lawrence
21-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Have used Opera for years but only used Opera mail exclusively since running Win 7 and use Disco Stu's backup utility,backs up everything including Email

http://my.opera.com/Disco%20Stu/blog/opera-settings-import-export-tool