PDA

View Full Version : The Economist's view on the WRC

WalOne
20-09-2011, 01:48 PM
"Auckland, the country’s congested economic capital, could well have used the tournament as a springboard for public investment, as London has done in its East End ahead of the 2012 Olympics. Instead, it has had to settle for stadium improvements and a few temporary party zones for fans.

The city’s creaking infrastructure was painfully apparent on opening night. As revellers flocked in the thousands to the streets and waterfront, the city’s trains backed up and ground to a halt along the single-corridor track from downtown to the main stadium. Thousands of ticketholders missed much of the opening ceremony and the first match. Perhaps the only thing that could mitigate their frustrations would be the return of the Webb Ellis Cup to Kiwi hands."

From "Glory at what price" The Economist (http://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheory/2011/09/rugby-world-cup?fsrc=nlw|newe|09-19-11|new_on_the_economist)

Yeah, it was a great opportunity for us.

But we dropped the ball.

Just hope we don't drop the ball if the ABs get to the final :o

John H
20-09-2011, 03:04 PM
I should stop reading overseas papers because they just make me even grumpier than usual about the snotty nosed kids and useless old hacks that pass for journalists in this country. Don't you wish we had some journalists in NZ who could write a coherent sentence, and provide some decent analysis? Simple little article in the Economist, but when do you ever read anything like that in a Fairfax newspaper?

Paul.Cov
20-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Now that's just not fair.

Our NZ journos can copy and paste as well as any other journos anywhere in the world.

Sure, they don't stop to proof or spell check, or to remove the text "Advertisement. Article continues below" from their pasting, but as we know, pobodys nerfect.

And anyway, what has the World Rally Championships got to do with the Rugby World Cup, other that the same 3 letters to their names?

pctek
20-09-2011, 05:45 PM
RWC - what it seems to have done for certain small businesses is kill them dead.
A number have noticed work/sales drop right off, probably everyones busy spending/spent money on tickets and stuff.

Boo, sucks.

Gobe1
20-09-2011, 06:00 PM
I should stop reading overseas papers because they just make me even grumpier than usual about the snotty nosed kids and useless old hacks that pass for journalists in this country. Don't you wish we had some journalists in NZ who could write a coherent sentence, and provide some decent analysis? Simple little article in the Economist, but when do you ever read anything like that in a Fairfax newspaper?

they are employed on looks first, then talent?

johcar
20-09-2011, 08:02 PM
I'd say it fairly accurately sums it up - apart from "...Thousands of ticketholders missed much of the opening ceremony and the first match..." - it wasn't 'thousands' - more like a couple of hundred...