PDA

View Full Version : Keep ya heads down this week.

Iantech
20-09-2011, 10:47 AM
NASA reports a defunct 6.5 ton satellite is going to fall to earth this week, at this stage they have no real idea when or where. So look out your hard hats towards the end of the week, there may be a piece of NASA space junk coming to a sky near you !!

(wouldnt mind a chunk of it if anyone gets a piece :D )

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/5653757/Satellite-set-to-shower-debris-across-Earth

Cicero
20-09-2011, 12:06 PM
I can't win lotto, I might gain a bit of fame by being splattered by this!

WalOne
20-09-2011, 12:13 PM
(wouldnt mind a chunk of it if anyone gets a piece :D )

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/5653757/Satellite-set-to-shower-debris-across-Earth

If I got a piece, what makes you think I'd share it? :cool:

Oh, you're talking about space junk :blush:

Lurking
20-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Our CBD could use the whole thing exploding on it, this will sort things out once and for all, might even push these quakes back down to where they belong, rofl.

Lurking.

wainuitech
20-09-2011, 01:14 PM
3165 :D

Iantech
20-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Our CBD could use the whole thing exploding on it, this will sort things out once and for all, might even push these quakes back down to where they belong, rofl.

Lurking.
Hell yeh, that would be a job done fast. I went into the CBD today and the guy I met was like "see that building, thats going, and that one and that one..." wow, it has changed so much already yet there is so much more to go. First time I was really in the CBD since Feb, it felt empty and weird.

Lurking
20-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Ian, we use the St Asaph one way quite a lot and buildings are really starting to bite the dust.

There are still 490 to go as of last Friday, so if the 6.9 tonnes of space wants a home to crash then the CBD is it.

Won't the junk burn up on entry tho !.

Lurking.

Lurking
20-09-2011, 04:24 PM
As an aside to this weight thingy, a 21 inch crt screen fell 30 inches onto our lappy which was in it's carry case, but still took a bad hit, what will 6.9 tonnes do from outer space !!!!.

Fracking will not be needed to extract oil/gas deposits, we will already have quite a well.

Lurking.

Iantech
20-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Won't the junk burn up on entry tho !.

Lurking.
NASA reports,
"An estimated 26 of those pieces will survive the re-entry burn and will spray themselves in a linear debris field 500 miles long. The largest chunk should weigh about 300 pounds."

and

"As of the moment, NASA says the 35-foot-long satellite will crash somewhere between 57 degrees north latitude and 57 degrees south latitude — a projected crash zone that covers most of the planet, and particularly the inhabited parts. In this hemisphere, that includes everyone living between northern Newfoundland and the frigid ocean beyond the last point of land in South America.

Polar bears and Antarctic scientists are safe."

A 300 pound lump of steaming metal at 17,000mph is probably going to make a good dent somewhere I would imagine.