PDA

View Full Version : Kindle 3G - is it worth the extra.

tuiruru
19-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Hi

SWMBO reads a lot. I've seen a Kindle and to me the "vibe" it gives is boring, possibly because the screen looks "flat" because of the lack of a backlight.

However, that aspect aside, is it worth paying the extra for the "Free" 3g. I've read what it says on the Amazon site, but what, in real terms, does it mean here in rural NZ?

Thanks

WarNox
19-09-2011, 08:37 PM
I take it the 3G will be as with any other 3G device and you'll need a sim card with one of our providers here (so not free). They do have built in wifi which I never use :)

muzza
19-09-2011, 08:42 PM
The 3G card is built in and ordering books from Amazon via the Kindle are free of charge from anywhere in the world. Only costs if you want to download documents etc from some other source. Good idea if you have to order a book and you arent near a wi-fi hot spot or an internet enabled computer.

tuiruru
19-09-2011, 09:08 PM
The 3G card is built in and ordering books from Amazon via the Kindle are free of charge from anywhere in the world. Only costs if you want to download documents etc from some other source. Good idea if you have to order a book and you arent near a wi-fi hot spot or an internet enabled computer.

Hmmm.... I've been reading thru' this thread (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=38&topicid=65095&page_no=12) (about a year old where I'm at at the moment). The 3g capabilities and costs issue seems a bit "muddy" at that point.... I'l jump nearer to the end a bit later - hopefully it'll e clearer by then. At the moment it's turning me off the idea.

Neil McC
20-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Just been trying to set up my sister-in-law's new Kindle -non 3G-with her new HP netbook so she can connect to the net.It (Kindle) saw my router straight away but only occasionally saw her vodaphone router,after I tried to get the notebook to see any extra wireless requests, and then it wanted a password,of which we had no idea.A friend mentioned that the vodaphone plugin sticks won't work for the Kindle.Is that correct?

Logged her into my router and she got on line no problem.

psycik
20-09-2011, 08:33 AM
What muzza said is correct. You don't pay for the data to receive a book. It's included in the cost of buying it.

linw
20-09-2011, 12:26 PM
3G? Only you can decide whether you want to download at the beach or anywhere away from wifi or computer. I just got the wifi version and like it a lot.

nmercer
20-09-2011, 12:28 PM
I got the 3G one, it is really handy to have free data in most countries around the world

If you order one with a NZ billing address the 3G connection will only work for downloading stuff from Amazon and a few web pages like Wikipedia

If you order one with a US billing address the 3G connection will work with any URL/website. The 3G has an experimental web browser built into it

Erayd
20-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Has she considered this (http://www.sony.co.nz/productcategory/bk-reader)?

gary67
20-09-2011, 04:07 PM
And don't forget Calibre software can convert between file formats if non DRM, it's available for computer I use it to put eBooks on my Netbook and sometimes to convert from ePub to PDF for my desktop. Although Calibre lets me read ePub on my desktop anyway

tuiruru
20-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Has she considered this (http://www.sony.co.nz/productcategory/bk-reader)?
Didn't know about that - thanks Erayd

tuiruru
20-09-2011, 04:39 PM
And don't forget Calibre software can convert between file formats if non DRM, it's available for computer I use it to put eBooks on my Netbook and sometimes to convert from ePub to PDF for my desktop. Although Calibre lets me read ePub on my desktop anyway
Thanks Gary - I knew about Clibre. Reading it on a PC or laptop is not what she really wants.