PDA

View Full Version : If not Orcon, then who?

John Calvert
19-09-2011, 05:37 PM
I was under the impression (admittedly from long ago) that Orcon was the people's popular choice for broadband provider. I was going to write a post asking if that was still the case, but a quick search of the forum revealed that it most certainly is not. So, who's the best all round broadband ISP, in your opinion? I suppose I should spell out that by "all round" I mean speed and reliability of connection, service when things go wrong, and reasonable price, or at least value for money.

Speedy Gonzales
19-09-2011, 05:39 PM
None of them. All are too expensive, most have probs. Broadband here, isnt cheap or reliable

Netsukeninja
19-09-2011, 05:48 PM
I was with Orcon a few months ago, the speeds were decent, but the billing was ridiculous! Double charged, charged for missing gear (that had been returned) and initially they tried to connect me in Auckland! (I was in the Wairarapa!) and when I left they didn't cancel my tolls, which has delayed my refund by 2 weeks. >.>

Paul.Cov
19-09-2011, 05:56 PM
I'll volunteer a NOT re Vodafone.

Too many email glitches lately, and their cheapest BB plan is at an absurd speed that renders it useless.

Snorkbox
19-09-2011, 06:54 PM
I use Telecom.

But it's still going to depend on where you are and what is available.

gary67
19-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Well we have been with Xnet for 18 months and despite what people say they have been very good, no drop out;s no downtime and we have only paid for what we have used and that includes having our phone through the router too as nDSL

Bryan
19-09-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm with and I like Farmside.

Trev
19-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Try Actrix, best all round ISP according to Consumer.
:)

WarNox
19-09-2011, 08:39 PM
They all have their problems but you might get lucky :)

I've had Orcon for many years now and it's been generally pretty good. IMO the biggest downfall is the free ADSL modems they provide.

Speedy Gonzales
19-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Got that right. The crap modem Telstra gave me has 1 port. The one I had is wireless and has 4 ports. I couldnt use it, because it kept cutting me off. When I connected it to Telstra, Just lucky I had a spare GB switch

pctek
20-09-2011, 12:43 PM
who's the best all round broadband ISP, I mean speed and reliability of connection, service when things go wrong, and reasonable price, or at least value for money.

Ah the perfect ISP. There's no such thing.

I have been with quite a few. Currently back at Telecom. Mostly because at least if there was any hassle they were faster.
Money, it's comparable.
Speed and reliabilty - OK, but it can depend where you are too.

inphinity
20-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Eh, I just stick with Telecom.

linw
20-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Me too.

John Calvert
20-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks to all who replied.

Billy T
23-09-2011, 11:16 AM
I have accounts with both Orcon and Telecom. Orcon hosts my domain name and also my back-up email, and Telecom provides my DSL (jetstream). Both have been pretty much 100% reliable for many years. I can't remember any outages on either service other than Telecom's brief problem a few months back.

I am inclined to think that speed variations and dropouts might be localised infrastructure problems, since probably they are all using the same exchanges, cables and roadside boxes. I don't know how much influence an independent ISP that is purchasing bandwidth from Telecom can have on the final service delivery.

Does non-Telecom ISP traffic have to pass through servers or switches maintained by each independent ISP?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Bobh
23-09-2011, 11:22 AM
I was with Orcon but changed to Actrix. No problems to speak of with Actrix.

Chilling_Silence
23-09-2011, 11:34 AM
I am inclined to think that speed variations and dropouts might be localised infrastructure problems, since probably they are all using the same exchanges, cables and roadside boxes. I don't know how much influence an independent ISP that is purchasing bandwidth from Telecom can have on the final service delivery.

Does non-Telecom ISP traffic have to pass through servers or switches maintained by each independent ISP?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

For the better part, most DSL goes over Telecoms kit.

A reseller / wholesalers size can have a lot of effect. Everybody oversubscribes, but the larger ISP's generally have a larger 'pool' of users so that if a small handful happen to start utilizing more bandwidth than usual during peak times, it's less likely to bugger up the masses.