PDA

View Full Version : Dirty PCs

Gobe1
19-09-2011, 11:04 AM
After following Fred Fishes drug mule link this link was there. Some good pictures:rolleyes:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/26/ventblockers_2/

Iantech
19-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I've repaired a few that have been bad. I have found that a domestic computer in a bedroom is normally the worst for heavy dust. Fixed one once that belonged to a heavy smoker, the whole inside was a thick yellow layer, it was discusting and stunk bad.
Found mouse poo in a few that have had a back PCI plate/cover missing. Cat and dog hair are also common, GPU/case/PSU/cooling fans tend to start getting noisy pretty fast lol.

An air compressor works wonders :)

Agent_24
19-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Ah, I'm not the only one that spotted that article!

19-09-2011, 12:50 PM
pfft, nothing unusual.
PC techs have seen it all, dirt, dust , dead mice, rat pooh (& wee's), rubbish left inside the PC by the previous repair company !!

The worst Ive had was a lappy infested with small cockroaches, lots of em. Pulled the HD out the side & 20++ roaches came running out of it. Couldnt kill the ones still in the lappy. They just kept crawling out of every orrifice in that lappy over the next 4 days.
We ended up with a roach infestation at work.

R2x1
19-09-2011, 01:01 PM
pfft, nothing unusual.
PC techs have seen it all, dirt, dust , dead mice, rat pooh (& wee's), rubbish left inside the PC by the previous repair company !!

The worst Ive had was a lappy infested with small cockroaches, lots of em. Pulled the HD out the side & 20++ roaches came running out of it. Couldnt kill the ones still in the lappy. They just kept crawling out of every orrifice in that lappy over the next 4 days.
Isn't Nortons supposed to prevent/remove bugs?

Iantech
19-09-2011, 01:15 PM
pfft, nothing unusual.

OMG, luckily Chch is a bit cold for cockroaches I think (and hope), but that really sounds discusting!! Hmmm, I havent found any rubbish left from previous repair co.s either. You must be one of the lucky ones lol

19-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Isn't Nortons supposed to prevent/remove bugs?

we all know Nortons doesnt work :-)

Tony
19-09-2011, 01:29 PM
I once opened up a PC when I was working for Reuters in Singapore that had out in the field, and it was full of chicken feathers!

Agent_24
19-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Cleaned out a PSU once that had quite a lot of dust in it.. that wasn't the worst part though, it was the fact that the dust smelled awful.

pctek
19-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Sigh. Really should have taken a pic of the Enermax. It would win filthest thing easily.
It wasn't just that you couldn't see any components for dust and fluff - it was the glued on gunk too.

Tony
19-09-2011, 03:00 PM
I once opened up a PC when I was working for Reuters in Singapore that had out in the field, and it was full of chicken feathers!I really must be more careful about proof reading: "that had out in the field" (?) should be "that had been out in the field", of course. :blush:

gary67
19-09-2011, 03:07 PM
did it lay eggs?

Tony
19-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Only when I cocked something up.

Whenu
19-09-2011, 07:43 PM
saw a PC in a motel in wairoa that had all the vents blocked with fur and dust, dunno what inside was like.

nedkelly
19-09-2011, 07:51 PM
I do love my air compressor

Gobe1
19-09-2011, 07:56 PM
These work too, but outside only