PDA

View Full Version : New iMac set up but now can't connect to internet from iPad

Beemer
17-09-2011, 10:06 PM
I set up my new iMac this afternoon without any problems but now I can't get the iPad to connect to the internet. It it showing the wireless connection so no problem there, but it just won't connect.

I tried syncing it but that hasn't altered anything, and the iMac can connect to the internet (haven't tried the iPod yet as that is currently updating software) so it's not like there's a problem with the connection.

I've checked in settings but can't see anything that isn't right, so any ideas on how to reconnect the iPad to the net? It's just coming up with blank pages and a note that it can't open the page because it's not connected to the internet. It's probably something simple I need to change on the iMac but I have no idea what!

nedkelly
17-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Im not sure how the iMac would be stopping the iPad from connecting to the internet, im guessing you have a wireless router/AP?

Beemer
17-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Yes, got a wireless router. Was connected to a PC earlier today and all working fine. Unhooked the PC and installed the iMac and now I can't connect to the net on the iPad - it keeps telling me I am not connected to the internet. I switched off the router and modem and rebooted the iMac, plus I chose 'forget this network and logged in again - still nothing.

plod
17-09-2011, 10:20 PM
So when you say no internet, is that from just the browser or is it apps as well? Or will the wifi not connect to the network?

nedkelly
17-09-2011, 10:25 PM
have you disconnected the imac from the network to see what happens?

plod
17-09-2011, 10:27 PM
if you have the imac connected with ethernet you can try sharing the connecting from the imac via wifi and see if the ipad connects to that. From there you should be able to see if the problem is ipad related or router related.

nedkelly
17-09-2011, 10:36 PM
it really is strange that after the pc was removed the ipad could not connect to the wireless router.

Beemer
17-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Sorry, had something else to do for a while. I'm a bit worried about disconnecting the iMac from the network in case I lose everything! The iMac is connected via ethernet and a wireless modem. I thought I had it set to share but I am unfamiliar with the iMac set up so maybe I haven't. The iPod isn't connecting either, so it's obviously something I've done or not done since installing the iMac.

The browser won't open - apps like iBooks will, but not anything that requires the net.

Beemer
17-09-2011, 11:17 PM
I've checked the settings on the iMac and internet sharing seems to be off, but I can't figure out how to turn it on. It asks me how I want to share - airport, ethernet, or firewire - but when I click on any of them, it comes up with boxes where I have to enter passwords and WEP key length and I have NO idea what that all means! In settings there are four things under wireless and internet - Mobile Me, Network, Bluetooth and Sharing - but I can't figure out what settings I should have there as nothing seems to indicate anything about other devices using the network.

Safari
17-09-2011, 11:36 PM
What sort of wireless router have you got.
The Mac ethernet connection will not have affected the wireless connection, you should not have to adjust anything on the Mac
In the Ipod go to Settings/WiFi
Is it picking up your wireless connection
If so select your network, is it showing all the IP addresses there

Beemer
17-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Got it working - what a convoluted process! I had to go into sharing, then click on internet sharing, then choose what to share my computer from and to, and then go in and give it a name, choose WEP security, and then a 13-character password for 128-bit something or other! Maybe now I can get the wireless printer sorted too! I gave the network the same name as the network was called before, which in hindsight wasn't a good idea, but it seems to be working on both the iPad and the iPod so I'm happy!

nedkelly
17-09-2011, 11:38 PM
It would probably be best to try and figure out why no other devices can connect to the wireless router, this method will require the imac to stay on for it to broadcast the wifi sharing the adsl connection.
Which is rather annoying

Speedy Gonzales
17-09-2011, 11:39 PM
I would use something better than WEP

Beemer
17-09-2011, 11:47 PM
If there is a better way to do it, please tell me. This was the only thing I could get to work. The iPad and iPod are both connected now, but are you saying if the iMac is turned off, they won't connect?

I just shut down and guess what - no connection with the iPad :-(

So what do I need to do to get them to be able to connect when the iMac is off?

nedkelly
17-09-2011, 11:56 PM
You will need to figure out what could be causing this to happen.
It is strange that it happened right after you removed the pc, but that should not effect it at all.
Hmm I will see if any ideas come to me in my sleep.

Safari
17-09-2011, 11:58 PM
You should not need the Mac on or have sharing on to connect to the wireless modem. They are independant of each other.
What make of modem is it. Do you have a modem plus wireless router or just an all in one.

Beemer
18-09-2011, 12:07 AM
I've got a D-Link DSL-502T modem and a D-Link DIR-300 wireless router. The iMac is working fine and accessing the internet but after changing from it being connected using ethernet (which didn't work when the iMac was turned off (it said something about the hot zone wi fi being offline), I can't get the iPad to connect at all now.

Instead of saying it is not connected to the internet as before, it's now saying the server stopped responding.

Safari
18-09-2011, 12:10 AM
I've got a D-Link DSL-502T modem and a D-Link DIR-300 wireless router. The iMac is working fine and accessing the internet but after changing from it being connected using ethernet (which didn't work when the iMac was turned off (it said something about the hot zone wi fi being offline), I can't get the iPad to connect at all now.

So is the Mac is connected by ethernet to the modem or the wireless router

Beemer
18-09-2011, 12:15 AM
It's connected by ethernet to the modem, yes.

When I said after changing it from being connected using ethernet, I meant the sharing connection for the other devices.

Safari
18-09-2011, 12:20 AM
So there should also be a cable connecting the modem to the wireless router
If not connect the cable from the modem to the wireless router and then connect the Mac by cable to the wireless router
It sounds like you did not have the wireless router connected.

Beemer
18-09-2011, 12:22 AM
That could be it - once I unplugged the cords from the PC I got a bit lost as to where they went... yes, I was born blonde... I will see what I can do now and see if it fixes it!

Beemer
18-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Did that, iMac still connected and working fine but same message from the iPad - "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding".

Safari
18-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Turn off all those sharing settings that you setup, you don't need sharing on, you are not sharing anything.
The wireless router broadcasts the wireless BB whether the Mac is on or not as long as the wireless router is powered up and connected to the broadband modem

And also check in the Ipad settings that the WI FI is picking up your wireless network.
You may need to restart both the modem and wireless router.

Safari
18-09-2011, 12:39 AM
You also have WI FI on the Mac
There is a wireless icon in the top right, turn it on and if the wireless router is broadcasting you should be able to to see your wireless network there as well

Beemer
18-09-2011, 12:50 AM
Well, unfortunately that didn't work. When I have the modem plugged into the iMac it works perfectly (I hadn't realised the cord from the wireless router was just looped around and had the cable plugged into itself...), but if I try plugging the wireless router into the modem, then I get a message to say the iMac is not connected to the internet. At the moment one end of the cable is plugged into the ethernet connection on the iMac and the other into the modem. Despite previously marking the cables so I knew which bit plugged in where, I can't for the life of me remember what the letters mean and how to get it to work. I would think that one end of the wireless router cable would have to plug into the modem - but that then requires the modem cable to be plugged into the router and that stops the internet connection to the iMac. No matter what I do, I can't get anything from the iPad other than a server not responding message. I've turned off network sharing but still no joy.

Safari
18-09-2011, 01:00 AM
The wireless router has 1 Wan port, the others are LAN ports, normally the cable goes from the WAN port on the wireless router to the modem Lan port
You then connect the Mac by cable to one of the LAN ports on the wireless modem.

Depending on how the wireless router was configured initially sometimes the wireless router is connected to the modem by the Lan port instead of the WAN port so you could try both ways.
But the Mac has to be connected to one of the LAN ports on the wireless modem.

Beemer
18-09-2011, 01:14 AM
My modem has only an ethernet, a USB and an ADSL port, no LAN port. The router has an ethernet port and four LAN ports. I've just plugged the iMac into one of the LAN ports on the router and hey presto, the iPad is connecting and opening web pages, so THANK YOU!!! If only the iMac hadn't connected before when I had it plugged in wrong, maybe I would have not kept you up so late... but then I wouldn't have been connected so I would have probably gone mad by now! The iPod is working too, so fingers crossed those two devices will still connect once the iMac is off.

If I ever meet up with you, I owe you a drink or two! My husband (not into computers) figured it was better to leave me to it and went to bed ages ago! Time for me to sleep now too, but thanks again, you guys always know the right answers!

Safari
18-09-2011, 01:23 AM
No problem Beemer, you will be able to sleep better now.

Beemer
18-09-2011, 01:29 AM
You're not wrong! I'm leaving it to update my iPod software as it reckons that will take 14 hours (so I won't know if it still connects when the iMac is off until tomorrow), but do you know how to transfer the music currently on the iPod that was loaded to iTunes on the PC? It's basically showing there is only one song in iTunes (downloaded using the iPad) but of course the iPod itself has thousands. I did search online and found something about transferring purchases but the page I found said it didn't apply to the iPod Touch, which is what I've got.

icow
18-09-2011, 07:14 AM
Are these purchases from the iTunes store or random mp3's?

You could use sharepod or similar software to copy the music back onto the computer but if it is from the iTunes store then it probably won't work because of DRM. If they're purchased from iTunes couldnt you just login to the account that purchase them are re-download them onto the iMac and then sync with the iPad.

Beemer
18-09-2011, 09:26 AM
They are not purchases from the iTunes store, they are songs loaded from CDs I already owned. I really don't want to have to load them all manually again!

The wireless printer managed to configure itself properly this morning so all looks good!

Safari
18-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Also you could move the iTunes library from the PC to the Mac. That way you make sure you get everything as the iPod is linked to the original iTunes library so make sure you you don't connect and sync the iPod to the new empty Mac iTunes or you will lose all your iPod music.

http://www.macworld.com/article/146958/2010/03/move_itunes_windows_mac.html

icow
18-09-2011, 09:34 AM
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14982/senuti

Beemer
18-09-2011, 10:45 AM
That utility looks good (if it works) but it would be good if there was a free version!

I looked at that document and it looks a bit technical so I may have to get someone to help me with that. Yes, I have been wary when it asks if I want to transfer purchases as I would hate to lose everything. Should have bought the Mac BEFORE the iPod!

icow
18-09-2011, 10:51 AM
http://wstein.org/senuti/
free open source version. I can confirm it works (I have used it before).

Beemer
18-09-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm a little confused - I clicked on that link and at the bottom it said 'Note that Pod to Mac is another program that also copies music between ipod/iphones to Macs, which is free. However, it appears to be closed source.' When I clicked on the link in that, it took me to a Pod to Mac site, and it has BUY and DOWNLOAD and says free download for Mac OSX 10.5 or later - so that's free? But any other system you have to pay? And it works just like the version you have to pay for? If so, thanks a lot, once all the updates are loaded, I'll use it to transfer my music to iTunes.

Beemer
18-09-2011, 03:31 PM
I downloaded the software and started transferring songs but with the free version you can only transfer 10 songs at a time and after each batch a pop-up appears and counts down a minute, then you have to click the continue button. If I only had a few songs I would have put up with it, but I have 2849 and it soon got very tiring. I figured my time was worth more than the cost of registering the product so I paid my money and it's happily transferring the lot with one click. Sorted!

GameJunkie
18-09-2011, 03:52 PM
i thought macs/ipads "just" work??? :D :lol:

icow
18-09-2011, 03:55 PM
must have switched to a paid version. Lots of free programs are doing that now. I can remember it was free when I lat used it (and not just limited to 10 songs).

i thought macs/ipads "just" work??? :D :lol:
Good to see you're being helpful...

Beemer
18-09-2011, 04:04 PM
I must confess I was very surprised that plugging an Apple device into an Apple desktop computer wasn't seamless! I was also surprised iTunes worked so well on a PC, so I suppose I can't have it all!

Cost me $31NZ but my time is worth far more than that to me - didn't fancy spending the next nine or 10 hours clicking on a box every couple of minutes just to transfer the music for free!

plod
18-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Lion has a built in migration assistant that will transfer all your music and other stuff you want from the PC,

Beemer
18-09-2011, 05:21 PM
NOW you tell me!

Beemer
18-09-2011, 07:24 PM
All is going well, BUT... every time I turn on the iPad it says it's not connected to the internet and I have to go into the settings and connect to the wireless network and put in the password. I vaguely recall something asking me if I wanted to impose a password when I set it up on the iMac and if I'd known this would be the result, I'd have avoided it. Every new computer or device has to put in the password which is fine, but is there any way of allowing the iPad and iPod to connect automatically when I turn them on? I have the automatically detect networks button clicked, so I would have expected it to do just that. Any hints?

Metla
18-09-2011, 08:07 PM
...It just works.