PDA

View Full Version : Setting up email accounts on new computer

Beemer
17-09-2011, 05:48 PM
I've got my new iMac up and running and connected to the net but one thing I forgot to do before I disconnected the old PC was to make a note of my email settings in Outlook. I've ordered Microsoft Office and that should arrive in a few days, but I tried setting up email using the Apple mail settings but I can't remember what I need to put in each box - all the POP3/SMTP stuff. I tried looking at Paradise's site for help but it has all clear.net settings and I am pretty sure mine still said Paradise. I also have another web server but I can't remember how to set that up either!

Any advice or will I have to connect the PC up and check them on Outlook to get the settings. I know all the passwords (one is a Paradise account, the other through Googlemail I think - it wasn't originally but is now).

wainuitech
17-09-2011, 06:41 PM
The basic setting are as usual.

pop3.paradise.net.nz (port 110)

smtp.paradise.net.nz (port 25)

User Name: whateveritis Normally the first part of your email address ( no need for the @ paradise.net.nz) Eg: whateveritis@paradise.net.nz

Password: self explanatory

Google (Gmail) see attachments. I got mine to leave a copy on th server- you dont have to.

Beemer
17-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I do keep a copy of emails on the Gmail server but I need the settings so I can have them downloading into Outlook when I get it set up.

The other problem I've struck is setting up a wireless printer. It is detecting the wireless set up and accepting the password but then it comes up with a message saying it can't detect the IP. It asks me to insert the USB cable, then remove it, etc but nothing seems to be working. I specifically got the wireless one so I could print from the iPad so it will pees me off a bit if I can't get it to work!

Ta, the Paradise bit has worked so I've been able to set up an email account in Apple mail at least until I get Outlook next week.

wainuitech
17-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Bit tired her at the moment, so please excuse - is it the iPad or the iMac thats having problems printing or both ?

Beemer
17-09-2011, 07:10 PM
It's the printer not configuring - the printer will print, but it's not configuring the wireless network so I assume if I try and print from the iPad, it won't work. It tried several times but keeps coming up with the same message - I'll try again now and see if I can jot down what it asks for.

Beemer
17-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Right, it comes up with a box saying:

The software was unable to configure your device.

IP address: failed to retrieve IP
Subnet Mask: failed to retrieve IP
Default Gateway: failed to retrieve IP
Preferred DNS server: failed to retrieve IP
Alternative DNS server: failed to retrieve IP

wainuitech
17-09-2011, 07:31 PM
See if This article (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3500) is of any help.

Beemer
17-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks, that should fix it! Unfortunately with it being a new computer it's doing oodles of updates right now so when I tried to follow the instructions it first of all told me I needed to update the software for AirPort so that's what it's doing right now! I'll let you know if I have any trouble after that.

gary67
17-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Newer versions of outlook will pick up the email settings automatically as soon as you have input your email address