PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old computer

Beemer
17-09-2011, 04:12 PM
As I posted recently, I've just bought an iMac and will be getting rid of my old PC. What I'd like to know is, what can I do with the PC? It's still in good working condition, crashes every now and then as every PC I've owned did, and it's got a nice 21" flat screen Philips monitor. It's a Compaq Presario, SR5065AN.

I've offered it to a friend but she didn't need it and I realise it's not worth anything in monetary terms, but I wondered if it may be of some use for a charity or someone. I'd be lucky to get $20 for the monitor if I tried selling it, so I'd be happy to give the whole lot away to a worthy cause.

It has Microsoft Office 2003, InDesign CS3 and Photoshop CS2 loaded. The only thing I'd worry about with giving it away is how to ensure the hard drive was clean before doing so. It's not that I have any really confidential information on there, but I know deleted items can be recovered so I'd prefer to give it away as clean as possible.

Any advice?

Speedy Gonzales
17-09-2011, 04:17 PM
send it here ill format it :p Dont need the monitor. I've got a spare 19'

pctek
17-09-2011, 04:51 PM
crashes every now and then as every PC I've owned did,

The only thing I'd worry about with giving it away is how to ensure the hard drive was clean before doing so.

You have to maintain PCs - they're not like toasters, it requires scans for malware, cleanouts, reinstalls if kept long enough, things like that. Otherwise yes they do crash. Bit like driving your car and never checking oil or water. Sooner or later it objects to the lack of attention.

Do a factory restore on it - that will wipe it and yes a charity is a good idea.

dpDesignz
17-09-2011, 06:37 PM
In the past I've donated old computers to people I know are interested in learning about computers. It's my way of building up the industry. :). Non-profit orgs are a good idea though. I have a few here in Hamilton that grab up most comps they can get to help them train Refugees

milkster1976
17-09-2011, 10:11 PM
il have it lol add it to my collection lol maybe turn it into a media player or surfer

plod
17-09-2011, 10:39 PM
hows the mac treating you

lakewoodlady
17-09-2011, 11:36 PM
I get the odd computer that comes into the Sallies Op Shop where I work. I check them over, get updates, clean out, occasionally reformat, and in general make sure they are in working order. Then I advertise them for sale for around $50 and there is usually someone who can't afford a new one so are happy just to get an old dunger just for kids or someone to learn on. The Sallies get the money unless I have to buy a part eg RAM. Then I just take my cut for what I spend. It's a good arrangement and everyone is happy.

LL

Agent_24
18-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Trademe, $1 reserve. I'm sure you'll get something for it.

I'd format the drive with Darik's boot-and-nuke if there's anything you're worried about.

Digby
18-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Keep it, so that when you realise you were sucked in by Macs you have something to go back to.

Beemer
18-09-2011, 10:24 AM
The Mac is lovely! But I am going to have to get an ergonomic keyboard, this tiny one has changed me from a 100wpm touch typist into an illiterate foreign typist!

Another thing to ask, I have Outlook 2003 on the PC and of course it's got lots of old emails I want to keep - will I need to connect it up and email each one to a Gmail account or similar, or is there some way I can easily transfer them to the Mac? And I mean EASY - I am not overly computer literate and don't have access to spare cables, etc!

icow
18-09-2011, 10:39 AM
http://guides.macrumors.com/Moving_Email_from_PC_Outlook_to_Apple_Mail
Why dont you just use your keyboard from your old pc on your mac? is it ps2 instead of USB?

Also out of interest what version of mac osx did you get with your mac? If it's not 10.7.X then you are probably entitled to a free upgrade to the latest version. http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/ as far as I'm aware Noel Lemming is an authorized reseller.

Beemer
18-09-2011, 10:52 AM
My old keyboard has hardly any letters on it and my husband moans every time he has to use it as he's not a touch typist! Has anyone used this keyboard - https://www.consumables.co.nz/store/web/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=1802&idproduct=6022&store=1#details - never seen one like it before.

The installation disk says 10.6.7 so an upgrade looks likely. It's currently downloading 20 hours of updates so if it's not among those, I have seen links to upgrade it.

GameJunkie
18-09-2011, 01:21 PM
i'd put linux on, or windows 8 preview thing.

i'd take it but postage to where i am would be huge

Beemer
18-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Also out of interest what version of mac osx did you get with your mac? If it's not 10.7.X then you are probably entitled to a free upgrade to the latest version. [url]http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/ as far as I'm aware Noel Lemming is an authorized reseller.

I tried clicking on links on that page to get the free upgrade but once you get to the page where you enter your address, it only has the option of being located in the United States and of course it won't accept NZ as a state! I can't see anything on Apple NZ's site other than to pay $29.99 for an upgrade. I do remember seeing it on a site somewhere when I was looking to buy my iMac but can't seem to find it now. I got sent an email from Apple to validate my email address, but despite clicking on the link in that email, I still can't fill out the request for an upgrade. Any advice?

Forget that, it somehow directed me to the US site but I'm now in the NZ site and it's letting me 'buy' it from the Apple Online Store for free!

Beemer
18-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Thank god we don't have dial-up is all I can say! It's a 3.75GB upgrade and according to the status bar (which frighteningly showed 11 DAYS and so many hours when it began!), it's got 1 day and 14 hours remaining!

My ISP must be wondering what's going on, usual usage is 1-2GB a month, and I've already chewed through twice that since turning the iMac on yesterday morning, and it's got a long way to go on this Lion upgrade too!

icow
18-09-2011, 07:24 PM
My bad. I linked you to the US site. I should have sent you here: http://www.apple.com/nz/macosx/uptodate/

Beemer
18-09-2011, 08:20 PM
I'll forgive you, at least I was able to figure out how to do it in the end!