PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 folder permissions

Mike
17-09-2011, 02:31 PM
I would like to set permissions for a specific user (a network media device) to give it access rights to only specified folders, and not to anything else. Is there a way to set this user as Deny to all except for those specifically allowed? I don't want to have to change permissions on all folders for all users (I think most are currently set up as Everybody?), just only allow some to this one user. Is it possible to remove a user from 'Everybody'?

Can this be done? Running Windows 7 Pro 64, at home.

Cheers,
Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
17-09-2011, 02:34 PM
You maybe able to do it if youve added that user in windows 7

fred_fish
17-09-2011, 02:40 PM
IIRC a Deny takes precedence over an Allow, so belonging to an Allowed group should not matter if the user is specifically Denied.

Mike
17-09-2011, 02:53 PM
You maybe able to do it if youve added that user in windows 7
The user exists in windows 7...

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
17-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Might work if you change whatever under the security tab

Mike
17-09-2011, 02:54 PM
IIRC a Deny takes precedence over an Allow, so belonging to an Allowed group should not matter if the user is specifically Denied.Correct, but I don't want to have to go and deny that user to all individual shared folders. I was hoping to just remove the user from the Everybody group (except it doesn't appear to exist?) or similar and then just add permissions to the folders it is specifically allowed.

Mike.

fred_fish
17-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Well Everybody means everybody! You can't remove a user from Everybody.
You can make a new group which includes all users except your media device and change the permissions, for all the shares you don't want it to access, to group access for the new group.