PDA

View Full Version : Scandisk taking forever

14-10-2001, 09:31 PM
The ME defrag program told me there was an error on my 40 Gig harddrive so I ran scandisk which took about 18 hours to complete. After all this, as I suspected, I was informed there were no errors found. Is there (a) any way to stop defrag from giving a false reading? (b) any way to reduce the amount of time scandisk takes or is this a curse of a large drive?

14-10-2001, 09:47 PM
ok what you can do it stop defrag from checking the drive for erros first(under options i think, im a little drunk so bare with me), it seems to me you are scanning the disk surface which can be turned off under the scandisk options (advanced i think) and yea bingo, takes 2 mins to scan and defrag still takens ages because windoze aint to fast on that

14-10-2001, 10:26 PM
Scandisk always take ages when set to 'advanced' (where it scans the srface of the disk). Just make sure the scandisk program is set to 'standard'.

14-10-2001, 10:37 PM
if scandisk keeps restarting, the possible cause may be an antivirus, or some similar program which refreshes itself often.

you should disable it if it keeps restarting your scandisk

15-10-2001, 12:07 AM
I'm running a similair setup...40gig HD with me and found that scan disk can take a while...only scan in simple mode and if it keeps resetting then use your ctrl-alt-del to stop some programs running...these reset the scan disk...don't turn off explorer or systray. You can also turn off your restore mode to run scand but remember to turn it back on when finished. An alternative is Norton Utilities. This has a more advanced version and a heap more too. You can get a 30 day trial at www.symantec.com . My system is running a lot better and cleaner now and its done things I'd have no idea about to fix problems that had me stuffed...I'm still learning

15-10-2001, 09:56 AM
Try one of 2 things.
1. Turn off all programs and then run the scandisk. This includes programs running in the taskbar by the clock, eg antivirus. If you feel confident, press ctrl-alt-del once and start closing down apps you think dont need to be running.
2. Run it in safemode. When your computer boots, start pressing the F8 key continiously, select the safe mode option. Now run the scandisk.