PDA

View Full Version : MSWorks and Win7

Thomas01
16-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Ongoing problems.
Finding my 1998 MSWorks just will not work with Win7 I tried my other (hated version) MSWorks2000 Same problem.
So better bite the bullet and buy the latest (MSWorks9) and cope with the lousy design.
It's impossible - Microsoft tell me they no longer sell it direct and try the retailers.
Well I've tried Harvey Norman, Noel Leeming (who told me it had now changed its name to Office!), Dick Smith and PC Global (very helpful).
None of them have it and feel it is no longer available!

So what do others do?
I desperately want a similar flat file database like MSWorks - I have MSWord and Excel though I don't know if they work with Win7 (old versions).
And no matter what I get I would like to be able to transfer my MSWorks database contents over.
Any suggestions?
And while I am here - are others having the same problems with the new PressF1 layout - I find it incredibly jerky and often refuses my commands so I have to shut down and try again.

Tom

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2011, 04:00 PM
You dont have to post the same prob twice (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?120573-MSWorks-amp-Win7&p=1047281#post1047281). Use Libreoffice or Openoffice then

Thomas01
16-09-2011, 04:27 PM
You dont have to post the same prob twice (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?120573-MSWorks-amp-Win7&p=1047281#post1047281). Use Libreoffice or Openoffice then

AAH!
Thought I was adding to the previous post and making my problems clearer.
I have tried OpenOffice but found my progress is the same as its always been with this program - I cannot even get the darn thing to open for me - There must be a way of adding a new file but blowed if I can find it. Then again it has no database. I am lost without this facility. The database in MSWorks is in daily use and as far as I can see at the moment my only hope is to use it as I am doing then when I want to print off - copy to my old computer and do it there. Trouble is I want to give the old computer to my daughter!
I admit to being puzzled - just what are retailers giving to their clients who buy computers from them, so that they can be used.
Tom

pctek
16-09-2011, 04:34 PM
I have MSWord and Excel though I don't know if they work with Win7 (old versions).
And no matter what I get I would like to be able to transfer my MSWorks database contents over.

And while I am here - are others having the same problems with the new PressF1 layout - I find it incredibly jerky and often refuses my commands so I have to shut down and try again.

How old? I have Office 2002 and it works just fine on Win7 64bit.
Works always was rubbish, probably why myou can't get it now.

You could use the old Office, get a newer Office (Trademe?) or use Libre Office.

PressF1 layout? There's a new layout? Jerky?? How exactly? And what commands does it not accept?

KarameaDave
16-09-2011, 04:52 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/default.mspx

They sell it online. $39.95 USD*

GameJunkie
16-09-2011, 05:07 PM
@KarameaDave: where you been?? havent seen you post on here in a while

Snorkbox
16-09-2011, 05:08 PM
No they don't:-

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204553703&listingid=29902281&&

Your link takes me to this page.

GameJunkie
16-09-2011, 05:22 PM
check back soon , haha

icow
16-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Didnt works get replaced by office starter which is free?

PPp
16-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Windows 7 does not support 16 bit programs but you may be able to run it in DOSbox, I'm afraid I don't know enough about either program to give you any definitive advice. someone will know!

Greven
16-09-2011, 07:10 PM
You have several options, none of which are very nice (but works users should be expecting that):
1. Emulate an earlier version of windows & do all your work in the virtual machine
2. Pirate a later version of MS Works
3. Convert your databases to a modern format. You can probably export your data to works spreadsheet format, then excel/CSV if you still have an old computer running Works.

icow
16-09-2011, 07:15 PM
if you type windowsXX (what version 98? 2k?) vhd into youtube you will probably find what Greven suggested.

Thomas01
17-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Well I have made progress. MSWorks looks as though MS has decided to pack it in. I am unable to buy a copy in NZ and Amazon refuse to post one to New Zealand. An Australian firm has some but expects you to buy hardware first.
Microsoft have XP Mode which allows me to run MSWorks in Win7 but only if I upgrade to a more powerful version of Win7 (more expense and anyway my notebook probably will not run it).
So I will stick with using it as is and downloading files to an old computer for printouts.
But I have had another look at Open Office and to my surprise not only was I able to open it but whoopee - there is a database in it.
Not that I have been able to get anywhere with the database but can anybody tell me if there is a manual available anywhere (Open Office for Dummies?) - I have browsed the help files and as usual find them really no help. And finally if I do get to be proficient in it - can I import my old MSWorks database files into Open Office.
Tom

Speedy Gonzales
17-09-2011, 12:07 PM
So what version of Win7 have you got? Open Office may not open wks files. Libreoffice might

Snorkbox
17-09-2011, 01:56 PM
@ Thomas01.

Have you checked your PMs?

pctek
17-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Not that I have been able to get anywhere with the database but can anybody tell me if there is a manual available anywhere (Open Office for Dummies?) -
Tom
http://www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org/
http://www.learnopenoffice.org/tutorials.htm
http://sheepdogguides.com/fdb/fdb1main.htm

Conversion:
Open the Works DB file in List View; click the top left corner to select all; copy and paste into a new OOo Calc file. Usually you can simply click OK on the Text Import dialog, and all the data will appear without errors, but as text, in the Calc file.

The field headings row, however, will not have been copied across. Insert a new row at the top of the Calc file, and type in the field headings. This should be no great problem provided there were not too many fields in your Works DB file.

Once you have the data in a Calc spreadsheet it can readily be imported into a OOo Base table.
You can send your files to www.zamzar.com for automatic conversion from .wps to OpenOffice formats.

Thomas01
17-09-2011, 05:40 PM
How old? I have Office 2002 and it works just fine on Win7 64bit.
Works always was rubbish, probably why myou can't get it now.

You could use the old Office, get a newer Office (Trademe?) or use Libre Office.

PressF1 layout? There's a new layout? Jerky?? How exactly? And what commands does it not accept?

Jerky - well jerky!
Sticks where it is then suddenly moves when I am trying to smoothly move up or down. Very difficult to keep track of what I am trying to read.
Sometimes will not change forums or takes an extraordinary long time to do it.
I don't have this problem anywhere else on the computer or on the internet.
It really is most irritating. Nothing wrong with my mouse. Scrolling up and down this letter is a series of jerks.

Puzzled by your ref to MSWorks being rubbish. It is intended to be a simple program but there is nothing in Office to compare with MSWorks dead simple flat file database.
I can write a database with boxes for DATE - NAME - LAST NAME - ADDRESS1 - ADDRESS2- CITY - COUNTRY - TELEPHONE No - CELL PHONE - REMARKS all in about 30 seconds - try that in OFFICE. It is of course still Flat File.

I am also puzzled by the fact I can enter the date in MSWorks by using Ctrl :
Just two key strokes to find the date and enter it. Similar action for the time.
I'm sure OFFICE should have a similar function somewhere but all the office users I have talked to (not many) say they do it manually.
Weird.

Thanks for the interest you are showing.
Tom

Paul.Cov
17-09-2011, 07:33 PM
I'll confirm for you that MS Access (the MSOffice Database) does indeed use Ctrl ; to enter the current date/time. Ctrl ' will give you a copy of whatever was in the same field of the previous record.

Access will do everything that Calc and Works does, but with a steeper learning curve, coz there's so much more that can be learnt (or ignored).

Last time I checked there were no macros readily available for use in Ooo Calc

Access also allows you to be lazy entering dates, assuming you intend to use the current year... so entering 1/2 will default to 1/2/2011, which I find really nice, coz entering dates can become really tedious.

Thomas01
18-09-2011, 11:26 AM
I'll confirm for you that MS Access (the MSOffice Database) does indeed use Ctrl ; to enter the current date/time. Ctrl ' will give you a copy of whatever was in the same field of the previous record.

Access will do everything that Calc and Works does, but with a steeper learning curve, coz there's so much more that can be learnt (or ignored).

Last time I checked there were no macros readily available for use in Ooo Calc

Access also allows you to be lazy entering dates, assuming you intend to use the current year... so entering 1/2 will default to 1/2/2011, which I find really nice, coz entering dates can become really tedious.

Interesting.
Most of the users of Office I know are very much into word processing and an occasional spreadsheet. MSWorks uses the Ctrl : method for WP, SS, and DB.
I suppose I should learn ACCESS but having tried it am a bit reluctant. Friends who have gone into it in much more detail reckon I would find it easier swimming across to the N Island instead of trying to learn Access. They amuse me with horrifying tales - but down the road is a branch of Christchurch Polytech who offer free tuition in OFFICE. I went there to improve my ability in WORD. Did so then thankfully went back to Works. But I use Word if needing to have photographs etc included in the document.
Now I wonder what I did with my old copy of Office.
Tom

Paul.Cov
18-09-2011, 12:10 PM
If you are competent with the DB in Works you should easily get to grips with Access. The trick may be in knowing which features you can ignore!
You'll probably be content with Tables, Forms, Querys, Reports. Cheifly just Tables and Forms.
Macros may be a step ahead of what you need, and modules you can easily ignore.

Put your attention into the design of your tables (data types, field sizes, default values and validation rules) and the rest just falls into place with the form and report wizards that are available.

Snorkbox
18-09-2011, 12:17 PM
I have a copy of Works version 8 here that I'm not using which works under Win 7 pro 64 if it's any help to you.

Thomas01
19-09-2011, 11:09 AM
If you are competent with the DB in Works you should easily get to grips with Access. The trick may be in knowing which features you can ignore!
You'll probably be content with Tables, Forms, Querys, Reports. Cheifly just Tables and Forms.
Macros may be a step ahead of what you need, and modules you can easily ignore.

Put your attention into the design of your tables (data types, field sizes, default values and validation rules) and the rest just falls into place with the form and report wizards that are available.

Gosh thanks Paul.
You have cheered me up no end. Good grief if I can cope with TurboCad I should be able to cope with Access.
The advice is good and appreciated - now to find out if I am good enough to take advantage of it.
I seem to have lost a fair amount of my original inst. disks in the earthquakes but the backup disk I made of office has turned up so I will try it again.
Wish me luck
Tom

Greven
19-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Access is rather expensive, but it is a useful application

Thomas01
20-09-2011, 11:13 AM
I have a copy of Works version 8 here that I'm not using which works under Win 7 pro 64 if it's any help to you.

Goodness gracious me!
YES YES I am very interested.
Err how do we make contact?
I know I have done something similar in the past but have forgotten what!

Tom

jupiter1
20-09-2011, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=Thomas01;1047860]Jerky - well jerky!
Sticks where it is then suddenly moves when I am trying to smoothly move up or down. Very difficult to keep track of what I am trying to read.
Sometimes will not change forums or takes an extraordinary long time to do it.
I don't have this problem anywhere else on the computer or on the internet.
It really is most irritating. Nothing wrong with my mouse. Scrolling up and down this letter is a series of jerks.

Yep, I am having the same problem.......
Win2K pro sp4 and Mozilla FF 3.6.12

Snorkbox
20-09-2011, 11:52 AM
@ Thomas01.

Send me a PM with your contact address.