PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2007 won't re-download emails deleted locally

Agent_24
16-09-2011, 11:47 AM
I've never used Outlook so I have no idea what to suggest, but a friend of mine is having a problem with his Outlook.

It's Outlook 2007, and he's using a Telecom\Xtra Yahoo email account through POP3.

The problem is that if he deletes emails locally, they will not be re-downloaded from the server. I can't remember if this is normal behavior or not, I've been using Webmail for over a year now and forgotten how an actual client functions :o

Anyone got an idea?

inphinity
16-09-2011, 11:49 AM
This is normal. The message has already been received successfully, you just chose to delete it. How bloody annoying would that be if it kept redownloading everything you deleted :P

SP8's
16-09-2011, 12:02 PM
If he's deleted something that he now needs, tell him to go into Yahoo Xtra Mail on the homepage and sign in ... there should be a copy of it there. Somewhere, can't remember exactly whether it's in Xtra Mail or Outlook ... there's an option to "save copy on server" but it may be timed to delete messages after a certain period. Use the help in Xtra Mail and have a looksee ...

pctek
16-09-2011, 12:07 PM
if he deletes emails locally, they will not be re-downloaded from the server.
Of course.
It's default.
You either use webmail or change to having Keep a copy on Server. Who wants repeat mails downloading? Imagine the spam loop.

Agent_24
16-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Sounds like you guys are right on the money... And I thought I'd gone to bed early last night! :(

I've passed this along, it sounds like it will fix the problem\explain it.

HAL9000
16-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Or you could just delete the account and recreate it in Outlook. Uses a new set of message tracking flags and will redownload all messages initially.

A bit of a sledgehammer approach to cracking a nut but does work.

Safari
16-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Or you could just delete the account and recreate it in Outlook. Uses a new set of message tracking flags and will redownload all messages initially.

A bit of a sledgehammer approach to cracking a nut but does work.

That is provided Outlook was set to leave mail on the server initially which it probably wasn't.

16-09-2011, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=Agent_24;1047504}
The problem is that if he deletes emails locally, they will not be re-downloaded from the server[/QUOTE]

huh ?? is he drunk (just kidding )
surely if you delete them, you dont want them anymore

just what is he trying to achieve ??
does he need to recover deleted email ??
is he using 2 pc's for the same email a/c ??

HAL9000
16-09-2011, 02:35 PM
That is provided Outlook was set to leave mail on the server initially which it probably wasn't.

Good point!

I was reading the original post with the assumption that they had set to leave mail on server from the way the question was being asked.
It sounded like, to me, that they could see the messages by some other means such as webmail.