PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Marshall 2100 SL-X, no transformer hum.

lakewoodlady
16-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Hi,
Son's Marshall Amp Head is having the above problem. Any Marshall devotees out there?

LL

SurferJoe46
16-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Although I dislike Marshals a lot - I gotta speculate about what you are saying here:

1) There's NO transformer hum and you think it should hum?
2) It used to hum and now doesn't
3) Are you speaking of a transformer to convert it DOWN to US voltages through a step-down unit and IT isn't humming?

Perhaps it used to hum before it knew all the words.

Marshals are really hard on their fuses and that's the one big reason why people get rid of them: ALWAYS smoking the fuse when the solo comes up.

When I go to the largest retailer here in the US (Guitar Center) all the Marshals have the fuses stolen outta them.

Must be a reason - huh?

SP8's
16-09-2011, 12:43 PM
When I go to the largest retailer here in the US (Guitar Center) all the Marshals have the fuses stolen outta them. Must be a reason - huh?

No #8 fencing wire in the US of A then SJ ??? ...

SurferJoe46
16-09-2011, 12:54 PM
No - Marshal makes it extra clear that you GOTTA use THEIR fuses or it voids the warranty. They aren't 'Slo-Blo' but they have a surge protection in them - so wire is a No-No.

lakewoodlady
16-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Transformers used to hum and now not a sound. Fuses are fine. No obvious burnt out or loose wiring on the boards inside. No one in NZ that he knows of that fixes them.
Doesn't matter any more, I just bought him a Splawn Amp Head with all the bells and whistles he wants. He's paying me back. (If he doesn't, he'll get no food and I'll rent his room out!) ;)

LL

SP8's
16-09-2011, 01:34 PM
He's paying me back.

OHhhh Hell .... Where's the Tui Ad banner when you need it !!!

SurferJoe46
16-09-2011, 01:39 PM
"Splawn"? Never heard that name - must be made by unwed sheep somewhere. JK!

Anyway - the fact that a transformer is no longer humming indicates a loss of primary (wall) voltage somewhere.

The transformer is used to step down/up and tap various voltages from the wall plug values for the individual components inside the amp head itself.

Power cord?
Ground lift?
Standby?
Polarity? (Do youse guys even use a polarity switch?)

I dunnow about youse guys amplifier gear, as there are prolly a lot of differences in NZ v US models.

Transformers, on the other hand - should HUM! Gently.

Last thought - did this unit 'thermal-out' from pushing it too hard last night? The thermal may NOT reset if it's damaged. It's designed to shut the system down when it gets too hot.

prefect
16-09-2011, 01:43 PM
This thread is just begging for a smart assed comment about humming, but I will resist.

wratterus
16-09-2011, 01:53 PM
OHhhh Hell .... Where's the Tui Ad banner when you need it !!!

Here? :D

Seriously though, that's very nice of you LL. My parents would have never done that... :lol:

lakewoodlady
16-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Here? :D

Seriously though, that's very nice of you LL. My parents would have never done that... :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

LL

lakewoodlady
16-09-2011, 06:40 PM
@ Surfer Joe. here is link to Splawn site. Steve will be getting the Nitro version which is basically 1984 JCM 800 on steroids.
http://www.splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm

LL

SurferJoe46
16-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Going there now for a look-see. Thanks.

Paul.Cov
16-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Now I know why you lot frequent these forums - coz you're too deaf for verbal communications.

Personally, I've very glad I don't have a kid with an amp.

SurferJoe46
16-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Now I know why you lot frequent these forums - coz you're too deaf for verbal communications.

Actually - I am prolly the only person with a logical reason for posting and IM'ing on sites like this. I don't live close enough to youse guys to drop in for a beer or a cuppa.

Signed: A Yank (the noun, not the verb)

prefect
16-09-2011, 07:31 PM
cuppa OMG he is talking our lingo

lakewoodlady
16-09-2011, 08:13 PM

You don't know what you're missing! Kept me young all these years!

LL

Paul.Cov
16-09-2011, 09:37 PM
You don't know what you're missing! Kept me young all these years!

LL

You may be right, I've felt old before my time for too long.
Most of the time I feel I'd sooner throttle a teenager than embrace one. Not so sure I'd feel any different if the teen was my own :)

lakewoodlady
16-09-2011, 09:56 PM
You may be right, I've felt old before my time for too long.
Most of the time I feel I'd sooner throttle a teenager than embrace one. Not so sure I'd feel any different if the teen was my own :)

My son a teen? Nup, in his thirties, needed a new amp, like, yesterday. The band has a gig in Wellington in November and needs to practice. I understand how you might feel about teenagers though. They're from a different planet methinks!

Cheers LL

Billy T
16-09-2011, 10:22 PM
No - Marshal makes it extra clear that you GOTTA use THEIR fuses or it voids the warranty. They aren't 'Slo-Blo' but they have a surge protection in them - so wire is a No-No.

Surge protection in a fuse is slow-blow.

Slow-blow fuses are surge protection.

Delayed-rupture characteristics are used to prevent fuses blowing on switch-on surges or transient overloads, so any slow-blow fuse of the correct rating that will fit is OK for Marshal or any other amp. Substitution of a 'Marshal' fuse with any other generic brand is more likely to cause an unwanted outage than damage to the amp.

Yous fellas have been conned. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

I'll just wait now and see if some amphanatic pops up and tells me that the type of fuse affects the tone! :devil

feersumendjinn
16-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Mission Statement

At Splawn Amplification, we are committed to the highest customer service standards and product reliability, due to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. The way we handle day to day business revolves around this relationship. We give all the honor and glory back to the One who is fully responsible. If you have any questions or comments about this mission statement, please feel free to contact us.
Hmm

SurferJoe46
17-09-2011, 02:53 AM
Surge protection in a fuse is slow-blow.

Slow-blow fuses are surge protection.

Delayed-rupture characteristics are used to prevent fuses blowing on switch-on surges or transient overloads, so any slow-blow fuse of the correct rating that will fit is OK for Marshal or any other amp. Substitution of a 'Marshal' fuse with any other generic brand is more likely to cause an unwanted outage than damage to the amp.

Yous fellas have been conned. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

I'll just wait now and see if some amphanatic pops up and tells me that the type of fuse affects the tone! :devil

The knobs on the amp make a tonal difference, everyone knows that!

I've been beat down so many times making the same statement that you have about slo-blo and standard fuses that I am starting to believe it too.

I've actually seen someone put a slo-blo in an Ampeg SVT amp and the amp would go into thermal-protection overheat mode in a few minutes. Yet put the 'official' Ampeg fuse in the amp and it would just keep on running.

This seems to show up on the newer amps with the toroidal transformers - I have no idea why though. These tend to take out the Mosfets and final outputs too when things are wonked in the 5mV biasing curcuit. Weak kittens methinks.

Since I also don't own anything AMPEG, I won't belabor the point as I have no hands-on experience with them and have no desires that way anywho.

Perfectly happy here with my Acoustic gear and perhaps a few Peaveys and Fender amps - but my real love is for the old Crates.