PDA

View Full Version : Do You Flash Your Headlights.

Trev
16-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Do you flash your headlights at on coming cars if you pass a speed camera or police car parked on the side of the road.
Read here. (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10752126) I use too but don't anymore as someone who is breaking the speed limit deserve to get a ticket.
:)

wratterus
16-09-2011, 08:46 AM
If the cop/van is hidden I will. Between Nelson and Chch a lot of people do it, truckies too.

Do generally keep an eye out for cops when I'm going to flash the lights though, can definitely see that ending in a fine. I got a fine for 'not complying with an orange traffic signal' a while back. Absolute bull, I was through the intersection before the light turned red. Only time I've actually been angry at a cop.

He was ready to try and do me for insecure load too cause I had a chainsaw and a few other bits just sitting on the back of the ute...calmed down though and all was good. $150 though! Bastard... :angry

PaulD
16-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Unless the Police are prepared to stop every car with badly adjusted headlights or fog lights permanently on they are being dicks if they claim that a few milliseconds of high beam in daylight is "dazzling, confusing or distracting". Note that the guy in the paper was ticketed for having 1 light not working not for flashing.

I tend to flash when there's no camera just to mess with turbo teenagers. I'll make sure there's no Police already chasing them :D

FoxyMX
16-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Do you flash your headlights at on coming cars if you pass a speed camera or police car parked on the side of the road.

Nope, but if I see someone traveling faster than they ought to be I flash them to make them think there is a cop further ahead in order to make them slow down. :devil

mikebartnz
16-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Read here. (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10752126) I use too but don't anymore as someone who is breaking the speed limit deserve to get a ticket.
If it wasn't for the fact that so many speed cameras are set up as revenue gatherers and not really for safety I would get behind the police and what they are doing.
I have been driving out to the coast a lot lately and it is lazy drivers cutting corners that are the biggest danger and what amuses me is that it is the slower drivers that do it.

Digby
16-09-2011, 09:41 AM
The police are really cranking up their speeding tickets.

I got done the other day at 4pm driving along with my mother (86) in the car along a straight road on the way into town.
I got done for doing 60 in a 50k area.
I was just going along with the rest of the traffic.
NO warning - he just sat in his car and printed out a new fangled ticket. (it took ages)

OK I was going too fast, but on a wide straight road it i shard to notice it.

And I still they they should spend more time on genuine speedsters who drive very fast on purpose.

wratterus
16-09-2011, 09:52 AM
The police are really cranking up their speeding tickets.

I got done the other day at 4pm driving along with my mother (86) in the car along a straight road on the way into town.
I got done for doing 60 in a 50k area.
I was just going along with the rest of the traffic.
NO warning - he just sat in his car and printed out a new fangled ticket. (it took ages)

OK I was going too fast, but on a wide straight road it i shard to notice it.

And I still they they should spend more time on genuine speedsters who drive very fast on purpose.

That is just blatant revenue gathering and they type of thing that does NOTHING to help road safety.

johcar
16-09-2011, 10:00 AM
A nice post at Aardvark (forums) on this: http://www.interestingprojects.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=185

Metla
16-09-2011, 10:17 AM
The official line is that speed cameras are to slow people down (not to make them safer just to reduce the severity of the impact caused by dangerous driving) and flashing your headlights does more then something in the mail will ever do, and its immediate which should by rights have an immediate impact and save lives.

We are doing everyone a favour by flashing our lights, saving lives, and the police seek to stop that as they are looking to raise funds.

Whose side are they on?, Not mine, not yours, They are not in a role to protect and to serve, they are a tool for the machine to be used against us.

ok, Getting a tad carried away.

R2x1
16-09-2011, 10:35 AM
I would like to flash my lights, but they don't seem to have any eeproms in there.

pctek
16-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Seems to me everyone drives safely faster than the speed limit. It's the other nutters that cause problems speeding.
Like the drink drivers - "I only had one".

John H
16-09-2011, 11:12 AM
I flash my lights for motorcyclists, but couldn't give a toss about other cars.

prefect
16-09-2011, 11:14 AM
I do the same when I see a boy racer going hard but never if I drive past the polizei and a radar/camera.

SP8's
16-09-2011, 11:48 AM
For those of you prone to flashing ... :D

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/177985/driver-fined-flashing-lights-warn-speed-camera

Trev
16-09-2011, 11:57 AM
That is in my original post.

Zippity
16-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Speed cameras mounted or used on downhill sections of road are pure revenue gatherers - period!!

With 90% of all cars on the road being automatics, 90% of the motorists don't have a clue as to how to use their downshifts to aid engine braking :(

Hence in most cases, the vehicle will pick up speed going downhill.

SP8's
16-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Sorry Trev ... my bad ... :blush:

mikebartnz
16-09-2011, 12:34 PM
When they first had speed camera signs years ago along the Carterton straight they didn't include the two corners where virtually all accidents happened, only the straight so it was obvious that it was purely a revenue gathering exercise.

prefect
16-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Revenue gathering my ass, it is possible to opt of the gathering by lifting foot off the pedal on the floor right hand side of the car

mikebartnz
16-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Revenue gathering my ass, it is possible to opt of the gathering by lifting foot off the pedal on the floor right hand side of the car
It is far easier to inadvertently go over the speed limit on a straight stretch of road like that so I will stick by what I said.
What the hell does "it is possible to opt of the gathering by lifting foot off the pedal" mean.

Zippity
16-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Look at the car he drives. No speed camera worries there :) :)

Gobe1
16-09-2011, 03:01 PM
When they first had speed camera signs years ago along the Carterton straight they didn't include the two corners where virtually all accidents happened, only the straight so it was obvious that it was purely a revenue gathering exercise.

100% and here in newplymouth on the new motor way it slows to 80km/hr before you get to countdown and the pigs sit just over the hill where you are decelerating from 100. Its no black spot so why sit there. its revenue gathering. they have admitted it years ago they have to get so many tickets a day or they answer to the boss

Cicero
16-09-2011, 03:58 PM
There bwe have a hint of a police state, and it ain't nice.

martynz
16-09-2011, 06:33 PM
In the UK the AA used this....
"The Automobile Association's 15 million members will be given a taste of the organisation's golden days today with the return of the AA salute.
Last seen in 1961, the practice will return for one day only as the organisation marks the launch of its new livery. The salute was a tradition for 60 years, with patrolmen instructed to make the gesture if they saw a motorist sporting the AA's insignia.
It originated at the start of the last century as drivers started to run foul of police speed traps in which officers used a stopwatch to calculate whether or not a car was going too fast. Even then it was illegal to warn motorists about speed traps, but the AA advised its members to stop if a patrolman failed to salute, and the driver would then be given information about "road conditions" ahead. The "crisp, sharp salute" will be used today by patrols when they attend a breakdown, rather than as a matter of course for all passing AA members." Daily Telegraph April 11 2006.
I thought the "failure to salute" was an urban myth until I found a 1930's AA guide and it was printed at the bottom of every 2nd page.

Paul.Cov
16-09-2011, 06:50 PM
I got a fine for 'not complying with an orange traffic signal' a while back. Absolute bull, I was through the intersection before the light turned red. Only time I've actually been angry at a cop.

He was ready to try and do me for insecure load too cause I had a chainsaw and a few other bits just sitting on the back of the ute...calmed down though and all was good. $150 though! Bastard... :angry

Yeah, I've been in that situation too. I was damned tired after a day spent on unpaid charity work, the road was empty, bar this hidden cop, and the light had only just gone amber to red.
His bullsh line was that the light was full green as I went through the other way against the red. He went straight from ticketing me to immediately pulling over another driver the moment he'd sat back into his vehicle. I find it hard to believe he'd spotted a genuine infringement happening within seconds of sitting down. This swine was simply getting his quota, and as we all know, if it came to a show-down in court we'd lose to the cop and be paying costs as well.

Seen the same thing happen again on another local street - straight from one pull-over to another the moment his butt hit the seat.
I generally have a lot of respect for the police, but it's behaviours such as this by a few that quite justifiably gets some of them labeled as filth and pigs.
I'd like to think these cases are the exception.

mikebartnz
16-09-2011, 07:27 PM
If the lights turn orange and you can stop safely you are meant to so I say tuff Sh!t if you are caught and it has turned red.

ubergeek85
16-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Flash? No.

Round here the cops like to sit on the end of passing lanes. I'm sure they fill their quotas easily, but at least it's in a proper problem spot. Nowadays I just take the backroads anyway, too many morons on the highway and it only adds about five minutes.

sam m
17-09-2011, 06:36 AM
I am sure I recall a TV ad where it encouraged us to flash our lights at people speeding when no speed cameras were present just to slow them down. The message I gleand from that is we are providing a public service slowing down speeders. I only recall seeing the ad a few times so it must have been pulled quickly after that. Or maybe I was dreaming it?

tut
17-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Yep, flash your lights at a speeding driver by all means.He/She slows down, passes the camera or radar without getting ticketed, speeds up again and a kilometre down the road loses control and crashed head on into your wife and family following behind you.

Go for it flashers.

Gobe1
17-09-2011, 09:18 AM
How often have you been flashed and gone past the cop and havent been speeding? Yet you secretly think, was nice to know the cop was there even tho you wernt speeding. Not every one one the road is a lunatic. And to see another driver traveling in the opposite direction and know they are breaking the speed limit, then they must be well over unless you have a radar detector built into your brain.
Im sure if they were doing 105 in a 100 zone they would be relieved even tho they were not going to get a ticket

And passing lanes are there for a reason, to pass. A fast passing manouvre is a good one

pine-o-cleen
17-09-2011, 09:23 AM
I do.

I figure that if I was the person coming the other way I would like to be warned that there is a speed camera / cop with radar ahead.

Gobe1
17-09-2011, 09:24 AM
And its such a heinous crime slowing down the traffic

paulw
17-09-2011, 09:52 AM
And its such a heinous crime slowing down the traffic

And of course denying the Gov it's revenue is no doubt the main offense....

prefect
17-09-2011, 10:33 AM
I do.

I figure that if I was the person coming the other way I would like to be warned that there is a speed camera / cop with radar ahead.
Do the same warn a rapist the cops are coming?
No diff.

Metla
17-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Do the same warn a rapist the cops are coming?
No diff.

Would you take action to stop a rape?

Or hope someone else unknown takes a photo and then send a letter with a fine to the rapist.

Yeah, Its almost as stupid as what you posted I admit.There is a huge difference between the two "crimes".

If the goal is to reduce speeding and make the roads safer then we should be thanked for flashing our fellow motorists.

But its not, its about tickets,numbers, money.

Those at the top of the heap want to be able to file a report that shows they hit there goals and further their bureaucratic careers.

wainuitech
17-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I got flashed by a person last night - BUT it wasn't to do with speeding the opposite actually, you could have walked faster, they were being polite in a long line of traffic and flashed the lights to indicate they were stopping to allow us through the gap so we could turn down the side street.

Now are the cops still going to fine people for being nice to others ?

Bobh
17-09-2011, 01:14 PM
I normally flash my lights for heavy trade professional drivers. Another way is to give them the backwards wave.

Flashing lights can also be used to say hello or indicate to another driver that he is safe to go. Sometimes I do get flashed from behind by a car that is chasing me with a passenger who arrived lated and missed the bus. Truckies use the right indicator to say hello to another truckie at night.

I was flashed going through a town recently. This caused me to slow down. Next day the flasher said that he flashed his lights to say hello when he spotted me. He was a retired traffic cop. I said that it made me slow down as I thought there must have been a cop up ahead.

He replied, "you would not break the law would you?"

I said, "Of cause not, speeding is against the law".:D

Iantech
17-09-2011, 01:52 PM
I got flashed last night driving along bealey ave near the manchester street intersection. Nearly caused a head to tail crash up in front of me, brake lights were going on everywhere. A very dangerous situation and not a coppa in sight !! I think she was trying to attact some attention. Sad part was that she was freakin ugly. :yuck:

mikebartnz
17-09-2011, 02:19 PM
I got flashed last night driving along bealey ave near the manchester street intersection. Nearly caused a head to tail crash up in front of me, brake lights were going on everywhere. A very dangerous situation and not a coppa in sight !! I think she was trying to attact some attention. Sad part was that she was freakin ugly. :yuck:
Haven't you heard of a paper bag.:D:D

george12
17-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Speed cameras mounted or used on downhill sections of road are pure revenue gatherers - period!!

With 90% of all cars on the road being automatics, 90% of the motorists don't have a clue as to how to use their downshifts to aid engine braking :(

Hence in most cases, the vehicle will pick up speed going downhill.

Unless of course, the driver applies the brakes and moderates their speed. If 90% of drivers did not know how to control the speed of a car going down a hill, the Ngauranga Gorge camera would snap a lot more photos than it presently does! If you ever drive down this hill, or Adelaide Road (I presume there are a number of equivalents elsewhere in the country) you will notice that the cars go past the camera at the speed limit (with only the odd exception; a fraction of a percent of total traffic).

Passing is a grey area, I concede, as while you are indeed knowingly breaking the law if you pass a car at over the speed limit, it is safer to speed for a few seconds than to remain on the wrong side of the road for a longer period of time. There is the option of not passing though, and if the car in front of you is going slowly enough, you can very safely pass them without speeding.

I don't buy any other claims of "revenue gathering". The law is the law. If you wilfully speed, it's ridiculous to complain at being fined for it. If you accidentally speed, it's ridiculous to complain at being punished for your mistake. The majority of drivers know how to regulate their speed. If you demonstrate total inability to do so, you'll fail the license test.

Metla
17-09-2011, 04:52 PM
I don't buy any other claims of "revenue gathering". The law is the law. If you wilfully speed, it's ridiculous to complain at being fined for it. If you accidentally speed, it's ridiculous to complain at being punished for your mistake. The majority of drivers know how to regulate their speed. If you demonstrate total inability to do so, you'll fail the license test.

The point that I have been trying to make is not that people should have the right to break the law but that the police want people to speed so they can fine them, and are willing to ticket people for taking action that actively slows down traffic. The problems from the police point of view is that this stops them collecting money and getting a big list of people that received tickets.

Is it about slowing down traffic/safety or money?

The powers that be aren't in the least bit interested in immediate real world results, they want a headline that says they handed out 200000 tickets, and they want the budget to carry on, next year,more cameras 300000 tickets. Pay rises all around chaps, its a pot of gold.

ubergeek85
17-09-2011, 08:43 PM
I got flashed last night driving along bealey ave near the manchester street intersection. [snip] I think she was trying to attact some attention. Sad part was that she was freakin ugly. :yuck:

Dude, Manchester st, what do you expect? :lol:

george12
17-09-2011, 08:59 PM
If the police "want people to speed so they can fine them", NZTA/NZ Police wouldn't put out expensive advertising campaigns to try and discourage speeding. The police would not limit their lower 5km/h tolerance to school zones during school hours. The powers that be want a headline saying road toll reduced to x.

There's a clear logic, which I agree with, in not giving drivers any warning - if people are warned by speed camera signs, and fellow motorists flashing headlights, then they have no reason not to speed in the many areas where they won't get caught - many of which are very dangerous still. If people have no idea when they might be caught, there's more reason to be cautious at all times.

To claim that the police would like pay rises at the expense of increased road deaths is quite an accusation and not particularly well-founded.

plod
17-09-2011, 09:30 PM
If the police "want people to speed so they can fine them", NZTA/NZ Police wouldn't put out expensive advertising campaigns to try and discourage speeding. The police would not limit their lower 5km/h tolerance to school zones during school hours. The powers that be want a headline saying road toll reduced to x.

There's a clear logic, which I agree with, in not giving drivers any warning - if people are warned by speed camera signs, and fellow motorists flashing headlights, then they have no reason not to speed in the many areas where they won't get caught - many of which are very dangerous still. If people have no idea when they might be caught, there's more reason to be cautious at all times.

To claim that the police would like pay rises at the expense of increased road deaths is quite an accusation and not particularly well-founded.There were originally for speed cameras, then it got changed too anywhere anytime which I agree with. I haven't had a speeding ticket in about 6 years, purely because I don't want the fine. And yes if you can't control your speed going down Ngaranga gorge, be it manual or auto, you shouldn't have a license

Metla
18-09-2011, 08:34 AM
To claim that the police would like pay rises at the expense of increased road deaths is quite an accusation and not particularly well-founded.

Yeah, Thats a bit of a twist, But there is always a bigger picture and movers and shakers with agendas.

If they wanted to reduce speeding and lower the road toll then there are far better and more effective ways of doing it, and if it were there one and only driving force then they would stake their careers on it.

prefect
18-09-2011, 09:03 AM
There were originally for speed cameras, then it got changed too anywhere anytime which I agree with. I haven't had a speeding ticket in about 6 years, purely because I don't want the fine. And yes if you can't control your speed going down Ngaranga gorge, be it manual or auto, you shouldn't have a license

Even a 8 year old could work the speedometer and brake pedal together

gary67
18-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Put speed limiters on all cars so that they can't go over 100k then all the police have to do is monitor the urban areas

Metla
18-09-2011, 10:15 AM
They should indeed but that won't stop bad driving, People will still have head on crashes and drive through stops signs, drive at a speed that doesn't suit the conditions.

A robust training and monitoring system along with real world repercussions (instant life bans and jail) along with building better roads and speed limiting devices.

People die on the roads because its allowed to happen, The public accept it and so do the police and the government, The current system just nudges the issue around the edges without tackling it head on, I have never seen any evidence that speed cameras save lives but they look good on the spread sheet.

Gobe1
18-09-2011, 04:47 PM
"I have never seen any evidence that speed cameras save lives but they look good on the spread sheet." Correct, it allows them to issue tickets without a human sitting there doing nothing.
You would more likely have lives saved due to flashed headlights

Paul.Cov
18-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Yeah, those kids that smashed a stolen car, with the driver killing himself - speed camera would only be a toy to them - see how fast they can go past it.

Stolen car
Running from cops
Endangered themselves and others

Sorry, won't sympathise.

Can only hope other stupid teens may learn from their mistakes.