PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming Startup problem

GrahamB
15-09-2011, 10:10 PM
An old DSE AMD Sempron running XP Home Edition is intermittently saying it cannot find a file on startup. At the moment, if I shut it down and reboot it seems to start OK. But for how long is anyone's guess!

The file sought was windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

I have located the file on the software CD/DVD, but it is evidently compressed as it is name .ex_.

How do I get a copy of that file into the system file?

Last time I tried using a Windows CD to 'recover' (not this computer) I found myself having to reformat the whole hard drive. I definitely don't want to go down that track, but it looks like I am getting close to some sort of melt down on this old thing!

How do i make a rescue disk for a Windows XP OS?

Oh, and I have tried to find something on this in FAQ but either got no response or did not know how to identify my search criteria.

TFYH

wainuitech
15-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Sounds a bit like the file system is slightly damaged, but not completely.

Have you tried clicking start / run type in sfc /scannow that will scan your files and ask for the XP CD to to replace any damaged ones it fines.

This scan doesn't alway s repair fully.

If you want to replace the ntskrnl.exe have a read of This Page here (http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm) Scroll down till you get to Missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe file.

Just a word of caution: sometimes replacing files like this may cause more problems than it solves.

feersumendjinn
16-09-2011, 12:44 AM
Possible that your HDD is dying, do a chkdisk,
My Computer>r-click the drive to be checked (c:?)>Properties>Tools>Error Checking>Check Now (button)>Check Disk window opens, tick both boxes, it will tell you it will do a disk check on a restart, click Yes.
If it comes up with more than one or two errors (should be none), poss time for a new drive (while you can still backup or clone the old drive).

pctek
16-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Failing Wainuitechs advise, you can boot off the XP CD and run a repair install too.

PPp
16-09-2011, 08:18 PM
But don't try a repair install by "winging it" . Do a little Google homework first. Its the usual story, when the problems get serious some of the programs you have to use aren't 100% intuitive.

pctek
16-09-2011, 09:23 PM
What is a winging it repair install??? You choose repair install and sit back and watch. It works or it doesn't.

PPp
17-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Well the first guide I Googled shows this page as part of their guide http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1_4.htm. I would have thought pressing "R" would be the winging it option.

wainuitech
17-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Well the first guide I Googled shows this page as part of their guide http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1_4.htm. I would have thought pressing "R" would be the winging it option. Errrrrrrr NO! Pressing R lets you enter the recovery console.

The recovery console is a very powerful option when used correctly.

Its all typed commands so its not like you click this that or the other.

To Quote from MS:
Using the Recovery Console, you can enable and disable services, format drives, read and write data on a local drive (including drives formatted to use NTFS), and perform many other administrative tasks. The Recovery Console is particularly useful if you need to repair your system by copying a file from a floppy disk or CD-ROM to your hard drive, or if you need to reconfigure a service that is preventing your computer from starting properly.

Put it this way -- If you have to "google" What pressing R does, then a person shouldn't be using it, as they have no idea what they are doing, and should only use it under guidance form an experienced person.

Often "wanna Be's" think they know what they are doing, and its only when it all turns pear shaped and you know how to fix a problem you have caused ( back out in other words) that sorts the knowledgeable people from the wanna Be's ;)

BTW: Doing a repair install as Pctek mentioned previously is NOT done by pressing R.

PPp
17-09-2011, 01:01 AM
Thats what I said . "But don't try a repair install by "winging it"" original post " I would have thought pressing "R" would be the winging it option." second post. The link also says this is not the recommended option

mikebartnz
17-09-2011, 02:11 AM
Often "wanna Be's" think they know what they are doing,
We've all been wanna be's at some stage.

pctek
17-09-2011, 08:18 AM
So long as you run REPAIR and not anything else, there's not a lot you can do to kill it. It's pretty automatic once it starts.

PPp
17-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Just in case I did not make myself clear, Urban dictionary defines "winging it" as: to improvise with little preparation. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=winging%20it
The reason I advised him do a little research is because he says:" Last time I tried using a Windows CD to 'recover' (not this computer) I found myself having to reformat the whole hard drive. I definitely don't want to go down that track, but it looks like I am getting close to some sort of melt down on this old thing!"
Do you really think I have given this guy bad advice????

wainuitech
17-09-2011, 11:19 AM
We've all been wanna be's at some stage.Every one has to learn - sure, but the people I'm referring to are the ones who go around trying to convince people they know everything, so to speak ( the ones who think "they know all about computers").
More often than not when things go right it looks good for them, BUT when something goes wrong thats when they are shown up as not so good after all.
Getting into trouble is easy to do, being able to get out of trouble, with out causing more damage or losing data is another matter :)

Last time I tried using a Windows CD to 'recover' (not this computer) I found myself having to reformat the whole hard drive. I definitely don't want to go down that track, but it looks like I am getting close to some sort of melt down on this old thing!"
Do you really think I have given this guy bad advice???? No its not bad advice - There may be nothing wrong with the OS, it could also be a failing HDD causing problems, along with many other things.

Doing a repair install -theres been many times a repair install doesn't always work. One possible outcome is a problem that gets a lot of people stumped, which actually has a very easy fix.

Heres the example: XP SP3 - all windows upto date, Latest IE Browser all fully patched with security updates -- the PC is a little unstable so a repair install is run -- But shock horror, on the first reboot it boots into a black screen with a flashing cursor - wont go into safe mode, nothing.

The fix, I'd say at least 95% of the time, all it takes is a boot from the XP CD, into the recovery console two simple commands, reboot - all fixed ;)
Hence the previous comment - knowing what to do when if turns bad.

mikebartnz
17-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Every one has to learn - sure, but the people I'm referring to are the ones who go around trying to convince people they know everything, so to speak ( the ones who think "they know all about computers").
More often than not when things go right it looks good for them, BUT when something goes wrong thats when they are shown up as not so good after all.
Getting into trouble is easy to do, being able to get out of trouble, with out causing more damage or losing data is another matter :)
Can't argue with that. I had one guy that had a habit of trying to get himself out of trouble and always ended up making it worse.

wainuitech
17-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Oh Yeah seen that a few times. :D

No one knows everything -- knowing when to ask or being able to look for help if you cant do something is half the battle.

milkster1976
17-09-2011, 10:35 PM
well said funny how everyones an expert now that i am qualified and experienced its amazing how many noobs try to convince me that they know more than i do lol makes me laugh sometimes i am pretty sure i spent 10 grand and more years studying and testing for a reason, i am just using up my posts

wainuitech
17-09-2011, 10:52 PM
This is getting off topic, but one thing I've been very tempted to say -- esp when I get the "my < insert person, son, brother friend> knows all about computers, but they cant fix it".

Man have I been tempted to say "so why are you calling me then" :rolleyes: :lol:

BACK ON TOPIC:

GrahamB -- any further development with this problem ?

milkster1976
18-09-2011, 12:25 AM
the easiest solution is find a computer running a healthy copy of xp using the search find the file copy it to a usb stick remembering where it came from then copy it on to your computer ( usually goes in the system 32 folder located in the windows directory located on your c drive )
boom goes the dynamite lol

milkster1976
18-09-2011, 12:29 AM
and it wont matter what version of xp it comes from, occasionally if you google you can find the file for download if you cant find a running copy of xp

fred_fish
18-09-2011, 01:02 AM
and it wont matter what version of xp it comes from, occasionally if you google you can find the file for download if you cant find a running copy of xp:groan:

mikebartnz
18-09-2011, 02:19 PM
well said funny how everyones an expert now that i am qualified and experienced its amazing how many noobs try to convince me that they know more than i do lol makes me laugh sometimes i am pretty sure i spent 10 grand and more years studying and testing for a reason, i am just using up my posts
Please try and use capitals and full stops. It makes reading easier and is only lazy not doing so.

milkster1976
18-09-2011, 07:08 PM
I Knew that was coming so have you fixed the computer yet :) .
Or would you like a couple more options ???

milkster1976
18-09-2011, 11:13 PM
What you could do, is log into windows place your xp install disk in the drive, and when it starts you will get a splash screen giving you some options, select install windows, then on the next screen select the option upgrade, select next and enter your product key. Then windows will reinstall all your missing system files without touching your installed software all drivers. usually works for me anyway,

milkster1976
18-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Sorry all drivers was suppose to be or drivers my mistake didn't pass school c english :)

GameJunkie
18-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Sorry all drivers was suppose to be or drivers my mistake didn't pass school c english :)

i think you're a showoff...

milkster1976
19-09-2011, 05:46 PM
nah have attitude problem ,( not good with authority )

19-09-2011, 06:01 PM
"NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt"
looksee here
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

and a utube vid (havnt watched it myself)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j69K9H87j2s

interesting that one possible cause could be a faulty keyboard: who'd of thunk it ??