PDA

View Full Version : Eggs

jareemon
15-09-2011, 04:48 PM
For most of my life, I've been buying whatever eggs are the cheapest, but last week I was in a hurry and just got a 12 pack of "Farmer Brown" eggs. I don't know if I'm imagining things but I could swear they taste better than the cheaper eggs... Maybe they feed the chickens better food...? Has anyoneelse ever noticed a difference in the taste of eggs depending on the brand?

lakewoodlady
15-09-2011, 05:17 PM
I make a point of buying free range eggs, mostly Woodland Free Range Eggs. Yep they sure do taste better than cheaper brands. Sure they may be dearer, but what price can you put on something that tastes better and fresher. I cannot imagine that anyone would want to buy anything but. I just have horror images in my mind, of poor hens in cages 24/7 with their beaks clipped.

Farmer Brown Eggs hens are raised in barns, so they're sort of almost free range and will taste better than Battery hens eggs.

LL

prefect
15-09-2011, 05:23 PM
If they have an orange yoke it generally they are free range or getting green matter, if pale yoke they are imprisoned chickens.

gary67
15-09-2011, 05:56 PM
I don't buy eggs I go out in the garden and pick my own and they have really bright yolks and are extremely tasty, even though they are all different sizes

pctek
15-09-2011, 06:46 PM
No.

I had free range, really free range for 5 years.
Came back up and bought cheap, they taste the same, just one tends to be fresher and they had a better life.

skeptile2
15-09-2011, 07:54 PM
I make a point of buying free range eggs, mostly Woodland Free Range Eggs. Yep they sure do taste better than cheaper brands. I just have horror images in my mind, of poor hens in cages 24/7 with their beaks clipped.LL
agreed, definetly makes them taste better

mikebartnz
15-09-2011, 08:12 PM
If they have an orange yoke it generally they are free range or getting green matter, if pale yoke they are imprisoned chickens.
Battery hens can produce good eggs too, it all depends on what they are fed.

jareemon
15-09-2011, 08:32 PM
I go out in the garden and pick my own eggplants? :p

pine-o-cleen
15-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Brought a tray of Farmer Brown eggs, 3 had fetuses.

mikebartnz
15-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Brought a tray of Farmer Brown eggs, 3 had fetuses.
They are very unlikely to have roosters running around with laying hens if they are selling eggs. Was it because of some blood, which is not abnormal.

FoxyMX
15-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Last year Annabelle White did a taste test on Close Up (http://tvnz.co.nz/close-up/taste-test-3557218) to see whether she could tell the difference between free-range and caged eggs as, being a cook, she claimed that free-range eggs tasted far superior.

She didn't get them all correct. :xmouth:

The fancy organic eggs and eggs from a friend's lifestyle block all taste the same as cheap supermarket eggs to me. :rolleyes:

Paul.Cov
15-09-2011, 09:26 PM
I've read recently that the paler the shell, the more stressed the hen that laid it. Specifically, the more stressed it was at the point of time when it did the laying, up to about 30mins prior.

Might be interesting to compare shell colours sometime with battery / barn / free range varieties.

mikebartnz
15-09-2011, 10:08 PM
I've read recently that the paler the shell, the more stressed the hen that laid it. Specifically, the more stressed it was at the point of time when it did the laying, up to about 30mins prior.

Might be interesting to compare shell colours sometime with battery / barn / free range varieties.
Has more to do with the breed of hen.

Paul.Cov
16-09-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm talking about this sort of effect:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/img/avatars/4031.jpg

Or is the hen a half-breed? :)

SP8's
16-09-2011, 08:50 AM
With battery hens ... I personally find the flavour of those fed with rechargeables are far superior to those fed with cheap Chinese throw-aways ... :D

As to the egg shown by Paul.Cov ... surely this is a "copper top" ... been fed Duracells ... good quality :lol:

mikebartnz
16-09-2011, 09:21 AM

I have never seen that before.

FoxyMX
16-09-2011, 09:27 AM

Try dipping an egg in water and see what it looks like. :)

mikebartnz
16-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Try dipping an egg in water and see what it looks like. :)
You can certainly tell how fresh an egg is by doing that.

prefect
16-09-2011, 11:27 AM
In real life chickens lay misshapen eggs and soft shelled eggs but there is nothing wrong with them. They just get ditched before going to the market.
I have a strange mob of chickens born at home Dec 2007 mum a clucky shaver bantam mum who is still alive. Got the eggs from a farmer who walked around the farm getting the eggs from nests all over the place. They are old for chickens but still laying and they look ok. Previous mob was bought as POL pullets from commercial chicken ranch at Coatesville for $18.00. They all pegged out together at about 4 years old one after other stone dead under the perch, horrible sight it was.
They all have their personalities and you can pick them because we handled them from day old chicks and mum didnt mind.
They a have a set daily routine where they go considerable distance to scratch up ground they like, sun bathe, and then a dust bath before wandering home to roost.

johcar
16-09-2011, 11:43 AM
In real life chickens lay misshapen eggs and soft shelled eggs but there is nothing wrong with them. They just get ditched before going to the market.
I have a strange mob of chickens born at home Dec 2007 mum a clucky shaver bantam mum who is still alive. Got the eggs from a farmer who walked around the farm getting the eggs from nests all over the place. They are old for chickens but still laying and they look ok. Previous mob was bought as POL pullets from commercial chicken ranch at Coatesville for $18.00. They all pegged out together at about 4 years old one after other stone dead under the perch, horrible sight it was.
They all have their personalities and you can pick them because we handled them from day old chicks and mum didnt mind.
They a have a set daily routine where they go considerable distance to scratch up ground they like, sun bathe, and then a dust bath before wandering home to roost.

How do they cope with the local cats (and dogs, for that matter)?

prefect
16-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Cats no problem they dont attack full grown chooks, Dogs are dealt to with a slasher and buried, grow silver beat above their bodies and feed it to the chickens.

gary67
16-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Bantams are much more feisty than chickens so our cats have learnt well enough to keep away

prefect
16-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Bantams are much more feisty than chickens so our cats have learnt well enough to keep away

They sure are they arent as chicken as full size chickens and they are good mums, a lot more clucky than NATO chickens shavers are prolific layers but stink at being mums.

Paul.Cov
16-09-2011, 06:34 PM
With battery hens ... I personally find the flavour of those fed with rechargeables are far superior to those fed with cheap Chinese throw-aways ... :D

As to the egg shown by Paul.Cov ... surely this is a "copper top" ... been fed Duracells ... good quality :lol:

Good grief, I've seen some disgraceful Chinese throw-away batteries. Cheeky buggers were using a name very similar to Panasonic, but the batteries were hollow and totally guttless. Only good as a paper weigh, and not worh the cost of even freighting to outside the factory gate. Incredible what garbage gets marketed.

gary67
16-09-2011, 06:59 PM
They sure are they arent as chicken as full size chickens and they are good mums, a lot more clucky than NATO chickens shavers are prolific layers but stink at being mums.

I was under the impression shavers were sterile which is why they make bad mums. Out of our 4 bantams one goes clucky every 6 weeks her sister is a layer from heaven but a real ***** and the other 2 hatched under the clucky one last year

pine-o-cleen
16-09-2011, 07:01 PM
They are very unlikely to have roosters running around with laying hens if they are selling eggs. Was it because of some blood, which is not abnormal.

Oh not just blood. Full blown fetuses.

Agent_24
16-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Oh not just blood. Full blown fetuses.

Well you can still eat it, it's just chicken instead of egg... :thumbs:

pctek
17-09-2011, 07:16 AM

LOL. Down South there were 2 egg places. I went to one - all good, always.
The other, she never checked properly, the chooks had access to roosters, they were all over the place, not only would you get fully formed chicks in the eggs, 1/2 formed chicks, often you got rotten eggs too.
I never bought any but was given some twice. I took them back and showed her and declined any more after that. Ick. Some people take "free range, organic" to mean pay no attention.

ellpow
17-09-2011, 09:10 AM
We pick up our eggs from the laying boxes daily so that there is no chance of them starting to develop (have roosters so large proportion of the eggs are fertile). If we find any outside the laying boxes, we assume they are probably old so we leave them. With completely free-ranging fowl, our egg yolks are almost orange in colour, and they seem to take a shorter time to cook from room temperature, especially the egg whites. Weird. Haven't really noticed huge difference in taste though. BTW have about 4 to 5 doz eggs spare a week at the moment: email me off-line if anyone's interested in getting some...(Auckland)

prefect
17-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Well you can still eat it, it's just chicken instead of egg... :thumbs:
What came first lol?

prefect
17-09-2011, 10:29 AM
We pick up our eggs from the laying boxes daily so that there is no chance of them starting to develop (have roosters so large proportion of the eggs are fertile). If we find any outside the laying boxes, we assume they are probably old so we leave them. With completely free-ranging fowl, our egg yolks are almost orange in colour, and they seem to take a shorter time to cook from room temperature, especially the egg whites. Weird. Haven't really noticed huge difference in taste though. BTW have about 4 to 5 doz eggs spare a week at the moment: email me off-line if anyone's interested in getting some...(Auckland)

How many chooks have you got?, must be chook city

ellpow
17-09-2011, 10:44 AM
35 at last count: but they keep increasing!!!!

mikebartnz
17-09-2011, 11:17 AM
LOL. Down South there were 2 egg places. I went to one - all good, always.
The other, she never checked properly, the chooks had access to roosters, they were all over the place, not only would you get fully formed chicks in the eggs, 1/2 formed chicks, often you got rotten eggs too.
I never bought any but was given some twice. I took them back and showed her and declined any more after that. Ick. Some people take "free range, organic" to mean pay no attention.
She was very unprofessional letting the roosters roam with the hens if she was selling eggs.

mikebartnz
17-09-2011, 11:21 AM
If we find any outside the laying boxes, we assume they are probably old so we leave them.
Very easy to check just put them in a bowl of water and if they have the slightest inclination to float toss them.
One xmas break I was looking after some ones pheasants and collected about forty eggs then gave them the float treatment and incubated the good ones. The guy said it was the best hatching he had ever had.

ellpow
17-09-2011, 11:26 AM
We are also worried about half-formed foetuses: do the eggs float if they are partly through their development?

mikebartnz
17-09-2011, 11:56 AM
We are also worried about half-formed foetuses: do the eggs float if they are partly through their development?
Yes a totally fresh egg will remain lying end for end in the bottom of a bowl of water then after a few days one end of the egg will start to float upwards and if it is well gone it will pop to the top.