PDA

View Full Version : Strange email??

Cato
15-09-2011, 05:42 PM
I've received a strange email... Two in fact.

One email is dated by gmail as "9 days ago" (6th September) and another dated today, they seem to have come in at the same time.

The time stamps (of the former) for received are today's, however towards the end of the header "Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011" - it is from a gmail address.
Why two different dates? I mean, I can't see google delaying for 10-odd days, if it was within their own servers (I also use gmail)??

I assume it is easy to forge timestamps like that?
Or could this have been an actual error??

Neither mail contains any text (except "Sent from my iPhone"), just an image (the same, resized in another). Google would pick up on a trojan right?
(99% this is someone trying to stir **** with me, and not the person it claims to be)

Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Ask google if they remove trojans. I wouldnt rely / count on it. If you dont know who its from delete it

lakewoodlady
15-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Do you know any people with iphones? Ask them if they sent you a picture. It may be just someone trying their pxting out.

LL

Cato
15-09-2011, 06:25 PM
That's the thing, I know who sent this. Said person and I are not on speaking terms, and would have absolutely no reason to send me a picture (the pic is legit, i know where it was taken etc).
Its a gmail address, anyone can get one under any name. This is very dodgy.
I am pretty sure someone is trying to cause trouble and this is what bothers me the most.

The email timestamps... Can they be forged?

lakewoodlady
15-09-2011, 06:48 PM
I think in gmail you can block the sender? Don't know about timestamps.

LL

Paul.Cov
16-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I had an aquaintance recently report getting an email from me which I'd sent around November last year... so a delivery time spanning more than 6 months! By coincidence, it was at the same time my ISP (Vodafone) was having email issues, so they'd either found this email languishing in a 'black hole' somewhere, or had restored from an old backup of their system that included some unsent emails at the time the backup had been made.

Had a number of Vodafone issues lately. Could barely stay online for more than a minute at a time last night.

Erayd
18-09-2011, 01:37 PM
The email timestamps... Can they be forged?Yes, very easily. A more common cause of this though is that the system clock is simply wrong on the sender's system.