PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet-USB interface?

Billy T
15-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Hi Team

Some time back I posted a query on PCMCIA type 1 card USB adapters. I wanted to gain USB access to my Toshiba Libretto and it only has serial, parallel and type-1 pc card ports.

It appears that 'Type 1 pc card to USB adaptors' are as rare as rocking horse feathers so it struck me that I might be able to use my ethernet PC card to achieve the same result via a usb to ethernet adapter,

giving me USB device> ethernet PC card type 1> Libretto functionality so that I can plug in USB drives etc.

It crosses my mind that the same outcome might also be achievable via USB to Parallel or Serial Port.

I have previously gained access via ethernet, but what I would really like to do is be able to access a thumb drive without the need of a second computer. Otherwise I have to take two computers on site.

Before you ask, the Libretto runs W95 and is 100% compatible with all of my DOS instrument software, that is why I need to keep it going, and its HDD is a gigantic 700MB so I meed to expand the available memory via USB.

The Libretto is the size of a video cassette and I am tempted by the latest netbooks etc but I don't think they will run DOS all that well, and they won't give me serial and parallel ports either.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Welcome back old friend!!! :D:D:D

Chilling_Silence
15-09-2011, 05:15 PM
AFAIK serial is too slow and wouldn't power devices either.

Erayd
15-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Win95 can connect directly to another PC via parallel or serial - I believe the feature was called direct cable connection. If memory serves me correctly, it's available as an optional component on the Win95 install media.

Billy T
15-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Win95 can connect directly to another PC via parallel or serial - I believe the feature was called direct cable connection. If memory serves me correctly, it's available as an optional component on the Win95 install media.

Yep, that is correct, been there, done that via a parallel link, but I really want to be able to connect a USB stick to manage files with just the Libretto in action.

After a further search I found the 'adapter' used in the attached image and by all accounts on the site it was actually working.

What's even better is that I think I actually have all of those adapters except the last one into the computer and I don't know what that is! The one before it looks like it is a parallel connector so maybe the last in line is just a gender-bender.

Watch this space.............

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

pcuser42
16-09-2011, 10:47 AM
What's even better is that I think I actually have all of those adapters except the last one into the computer and I don't know what that is! The one before it looks like it is a parallel connector so maybe the last in line is just a gender-bender.

That's a PS/2 to USB adapter :D

gary67
16-09-2011, 11:25 AM
I use a usb-ptr parallel printer cable to connect my GPS handheld to my laptop and desktop works very well. It's actually a serial adapter like this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/ABC-Products%C2%AE-converter-convertor-Converter/dp/B000Z3MBG8)

Billy T
16-09-2011, 10:39 PM
That's a PS/2 to USB adapter :D

Are you sure? The only USB connector that I can see is the green USB to PS/2 at the other end of the chain, I was referring to the white one plugged into the computer, 'the last one into the computer'. unless that is a special of some sort that I've not seen before.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

gary67
17-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Looks like a parallel to parallel followed by a parallel to serial followed by a serial to PS/2 and lastly a PS/2 to usb, amazing that with all that changing it actually works

Paul.Cov
17-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Looks like a parallel to parallel followed by a parallel to serial followed by a serial to PS/2 and lastly a PS/2 to usb, amazing that with all that changing it actually works

With a final baud rate of.... 2

fred_fish
17-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Before you ask, the Libretto runs W95 and is 100% compatible with all of my DOS instrument software, that is why I need to keep it going, and its HDD is a gigantic 700MB so I meed to expand the available memory via USB.

The Libretto is the size of a video cassette and I am tempted by the latest netbooks etc but I don't think they will run DOS all that well, and they won't give me serial and parallel ports either.
Netbook with VM running your old system?
Solves the space issue & protects against failure.
I'm not certain, but presumably, a parallel / serial / whatever to usb adapter on the host could be seen by the VM as native serial / paralllel interfaces.

Gobe1
17-09-2011, 10:46 AM
I would say the first one is parallel to serial db25? Second one is serial 25 to 9, third serial to ps2
+1 Fred Fish

stormdragon
17-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Netbook with VM running your old system?
Solves the space issue & protects against failure.
I'm not certain, but presumably, a parallel / serial / whatever to usb adapter on the host could be seen by the VM as native serial / paralllel interfaces.

+1 You can choose setting for serial ports in virtual box.