PDA

View Full Version : Copy music off DVD?

sarel
15-09-2011, 12:42 PM
I've got one of the new DVD's of Mirusia Louwerse but want the music on a CD to play in my car. It's a standard DVD. Any way to rip the music only?

sarel

Trev
15-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Maybe something like this. (http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html?gclid=CLDtjfGOnqsCFURKpgod4Dw5iw)
:)

Roscoe
15-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Do you have a sound recording programme, such as Cool Edit or Audacity?

If you can play your DVD with your CD rom, and you set the record portion of the Windows Recording Mixer with a tick in Record Master, you should be able to record all the sound from your DVD. Unfortunately you will have to record it in real time but it is possible. You will need a sound recording programme, though. Hopefully you have something that will do the trick.

wainuitech
15-09-2011, 07:43 PM
TryXmedia recode (http://www.xmedia-recode.de/download.html) -- the downloads are in the blue boxes, NOT the big green button.

Load up your DVD, then on the output stream - select Audio Only.

kahawai chaser
15-09-2011, 11:07 PM
The way I use to do it, was this procedure (http://web.archive.org/web/20050404140933/www.area450.com/softwaremods/dvdtoaudiocd.html) using 4 freeware programs, including Audacity for any splitting/editing if required. Can down sample directly (demux) to CD specs, though bit involved but could do a lot of tweaks, and seemed intuitive.

Twelvevolts
16-09-2011, 07:47 AM
I always use DVD Audio Extractor and it is easy to use and works well.

http://download.cnet.com/DVD-Audio-Extractor/3000-2140_4-10306846.html

SP8's
16-09-2011, 08:59 AM
... not saying a word ... :xmouth:

SurferJoe46
16-09-2011, 12:46 PM
... not saying a word ... :xmouth:

That's FOUR words

Besides if you actually OWN the original DVD, you should have no fears of copyright as long as you keep them both.

Don't sell it or either for a profit and don't put it on the internet and you should be safe.

sarel
16-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys, will try some of the programs

sarel

dugimodo
16-09-2011, 03:41 PM
NZ law is a bit odd, I'm not sure this kind of format shifting is technically legal. Its only fairly recently they decided to make it legal to put your own music on a portable player.
The companies no doubt expect you to buy the soundtrack as well.

That said it's unlikely anyone would actually care about what you're trying to do so good luck :)

SurferJoe46
16-09-2011, 03:44 PM
I thought NZ just recently aligned with the US laws from some arm twisting by the MPAA and the RIAA?

Wasn't there a post decrying that alliance, here on F1 just a short time ago?

dugimodo
16-09-2011, 04:52 PM
No our laws are still different, the MPAA and RIAA definately have a hand in them though. I think our laws are less permissive than the US ones :(
A little while back we got format shifting music made legal and the recent change is purely related to prosecuting people for illegal downloading of copyrighted material, which was already illegal just harder to prosecute.

As far as backing up your own personal copyrighted movies or software, or format shifting movies for other devices, I think that's still illegal here. With a music DVD It's probable that it's not considered the same as owning an audio CD where you are allowed to rip it to your portable player etc.

It seems to take the law a while to catch up to these things. I notice a lot of Blu-Ray releases are now including a digital copy for use on PCs etc so the movie companies at least are realising what people do with their movies.

GameJunkie
16-09-2011, 05:14 PM
i've ripped my own dvd's and put them on my ipods plenty of times

Snorkbox
16-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Ah. But is it legal!!

GameJunkie
16-09-2011, 05:18 PM
i own the dvd's so yes :D,

Snorkbox
16-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Nope!!

GameJunkie
16-09-2011, 05:29 PM
meh :p

sarel
17-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Hi guys, I used DVD Audio Extractor and it worked beautifully - it even gives you the choice of ripping to .mp3 or. wav. I could not get XMedia Recode to work properly, but that's probably bacuase I'm a bit slow with new programs. Thanks to all

sarel

Twelvevolts
17-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Watching YouTube probably isn't legal in many cases in New Zealand.

However if you rip the content off a DVD you purchased and listen to it on your portable music player, whether you are legal or not is probably irrelevant as no one is ever going to question you about it.

I bought the John Butler Trio Live at Red Rocks album recently, and the two CD's of the performance are included in the package as they should be (damn good concert as well).

But you get a DVD like the Arctic Monkey's concert they're not, so I think you're entitled to listen to the audio in another format (it is not even to my knowledge available as a CD). The New Zealand law on this sort of thing is made by people who appear willing to do whatever the record companies tell them to do, and I suspect Simon Power would struggle to describe what an Mp3 file is. His clear lack of knowledge in parliament recently demonstrated he is prepared to pass a law under urgency without understanding the issues at all.

PS Most of the John Butler concert is now on YouTube by the way but don't watch it as that would be illegal in New Zealand and you could be fined $15000.

sarel
17-09-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't care about the legalities. I bought the DVD, want to listen to the music in my CD player so I am pretty sure I can do that - seeing as there are no CD that you can buy with the same music.

sarel

Twelvevolts
17-09-2011, 09:13 PM
I don't care about the legalities. I bought the DVD, want to listen to the music in my CD player so I am pretty sure I can do that - seeing as there are no CD that you can buy with the same music.

sarel Well I think you will be happy with DVD Audio Extractor - I have used it a lot and it does the job. I tend to collect music DVD's but after watching them once or twice, I generally prefer to listen to them after that on my Sony portable player.