PDA

View Full Version : Using Acronis True Image Home 2010 with Windows 7 Professional

R.M.
14-09-2011, 08:06 PM
It is a while since I got my new 'puter, and recently I have had troubles booting up (variable success, long time taken) so I've decided the 'time has come' to use the file I made with Acronis just after setting the system up. I've done this a number of times in the past with XP Pro with no problems.

I feel a little nervous this time, not being sure what to do with the 100mb 'System Reserved' file. I am replacing C Drive with a .tib file that I have on an external drive (I have the DVD drive set to boot first, and have a bootable rescue media made). I know where my Outlook files are...

I'm in need of a little hand holding! Anything else I should think about?

As always, I appreciate the support I get here. :)

gary67
14-09-2011, 08:25 PM
You need that file as it contains the boot information, but I would confirm it with someone like Wainui first

R.M.
14-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Thought that was the case - just confirming!

Once I have done this once - I'll feel MUCH happier.

wainuitech
14-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Yep it contains the boot info, as well as the repair info.

While its not 100% needed, its wise to have it. This PC doesn't have the 100Mb partition, thats because it used to dual boot with Vista, when Vista was removed this thing wouldn't boot at all, I ran the repair option from the W7 DVD, and that fixed it.

Personally thats why I also use Active@ when imaging a W7 Drive, it does show all partitions, just like the inbuilt W7 Backup.

mzee
15-09-2011, 12:36 AM
If you made an image of both partitions they will both be in the same .tib file. Acronis will ask you if you wish to restore another partition after you select the first one, you then go back and select the second one and the next time it asks, you say No. It doesn't matter what order you select them in, so long as you select the 100Mb partition, probably 'C', and the main Windows partition, probably designated 'D' in Acronis.

If you are having boot problems, just restoring the 100Mb partition may do the trick.

R.M.
15-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Mmm - I didn't make an image of the 100mb partition. :(

Acronis doesn't show this partition, only C. The reason I know it is there - it shows up in Partition Magic. What do you think?

gary67
15-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Put the C back as you were going to and if you have problems booting them repair from the DVD as Wainui pointed out

wainuitech
15-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Put the C back as you were going to and if you have problems booting them repair from the DVD as Wainui pointed out Just to throw in some total confusion :)
That worked OK for mine, but I did a few tests once when trying other cloning software that didn't take the hidden partition - the fix didn't work.
NOW I don't know if the problem was the actual cloning software failed or the fact it didn't have the partition in the first place.

mzee
15-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Not all installs of W7 have two partitions. If you do a 'Custom' install you can use one partition. If left to Windows you will have two partitions. This has the advantage of isolating the start-up files from the rest of the drive and makes it easier to repair.

I have just checked Acronis on this Dell Laptop and it does show the 100Mb 'System Reserved' partition, but it needs a tick in the selection box.

R.M.
15-09-2011, 04:59 PM
So - it may work, or may not? May have to use repair from DVD? Oh dear - this is getting complicated!

What happens if I mirror image the System Reserved partition now? (Before I do anything else). Sure to go to custard? Or just not known?

wainuitech
15-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Not known, who knows what would happen. It may or may not work fine ( the image) as it is.

You can always make a Image /backup of the complete system as it is to either a USB External drive thats large enough or to a network location if on a LAN, by using the inbuilt Windows 7 Back up utility, just in case it turns to custard.

R.M.
15-09-2011, 11:23 PM
'You can always make a Image /backup of the complete system as it is to either a USB External drive '

I've done that... I'll probably wait till the W/E for the next step - I am learning not to rush into things quite so quickly. It often gets my into bother... :)

R.M.
17-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Just reporting back - it doesn't work, and when I do some more research on the net, I find that there are problems with my build of Acronis Home 2010 with Windows 7 64bit (which I have).

So - is my only option no a complete new install? On the principle of 'belt & braces' I also have (a later time)of Paragon Backup & Recovery 2010 (but again, not sure about the System Reserved partition.

I'm getting tireder by the minute...

gary67
17-09-2011, 04:49 PM
It's starting to sound that way.

wainuitech
17-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Not surprising Acronis didn't work - had it fail many times in testing. To save you some time - FORGET Paragon Backup & Recovery -- that fails as well ( just ask Gary).

As previously mentioned - for W7 - either the inbuilt backup, or active@ -- both do work.

R.M.
17-09-2011, 05:34 PM
As previously mentioned - for W7 - either the inbuilt backup, or active@ -- both do work.

I hear you, I hear you! But Acronis DID work well with XP....

gary67
17-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Yes as did Paragon but paragon killed my system leading to a complete re install and I had an older copy of Acronis so when I was looking for something to make an image over my network Wainui recommended active@.

Win 7 can backup over a network unless like me you have home premium that one doesn't and neither does win7 starter on my netbook but active@ images them both to my server nicely and both have been reinstalled as a test so I know that it works

R.M.
17-09-2011, 08:08 PM
My heart quails just a little at a complete reinstall. I've done XP Pro before, but 7 Pro looks just a little tricky - with its two partitions. And then I have the main drive partitioned into 4 at the moment. I think I can see me heading in Greven's direction this week!

The 'puter was delivered with the OS installed and I did all the other bits and pieces - took the best part of just over 2 days (but then I have lots of bits & pieces - photography...).