PDA

View Full Version : Please translate this for me.

mzee
14-09-2011, 06:10 PM
"Do you spoof (clone) the MAC address of your PC's NIC on the router? If not, then your PC and router are getting different IP addresses.

Next time this happens (slow upload), clone the MAC address of your PC onto your router, then power cycle the router so it gets a new IP address."

I have a problem with Desktops connected to a router, in that there is no upload, only download.
Laptops connected to the same unit by Wireless do not have this problem.

fred_fish
14-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Whoever told you that has no idea what he is talking about.

What doesn't upload?
You can't get anything downloading without sending a request, which is an upload of a small amount of data.

8ftmetalhaed
14-09-2011, 06:21 PM
You mean there's no upload from your PC's to the router?

They might have their IP settings wrong. If your router has DHCP enabled, it automatically gives your PC an IP address when it connects to it.
If your pc has them pre set, regardless of DHCP, it will try to use those details. If they're incorrect or incomplete, you'll get no/incomplete connectivity.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows-vista/Change-TCP-IP-settings

edit - ^ also this. (above post).
I hate trying to understand broken english when it's spoken. When it's written as it's spoken, it's a whole other kettle of fish.

somebody
14-09-2011, 08:14 PM
The comment is perfectly understandable - it's not broken English. The content of what the person is asking is questionable though.

1) Your PC and router are supposed to have different IP addresss
2) I'm not sure what cloning your MAC address is supposed to achieve - this sort of thing is typically done in situations where whatever your router is connected to is restricting access based on MAC address, and the MAC address it has on record is the one which belongs to your PC.

SP8's
14-09-2011, 09:35 PM
"Haben Sie spoof (Klon) der MAC-Adresse Ihres PCs NIC auf dem Router? Wenn nicht, dann Ihren PC und Router immer unterschiedliche IP-Adressen.

Das nächste Mal in diesem Fall (langsame Upload), die MAC-Adresse von Ihrem PC auf Ihrem Router, dann schalten Sie den Router so eine neue IP-Adresse erhält. "

Ich habe ein Problem mit Desktops mit einem Router verbunden, dass es keinen upload, nur als Download.
Laptops, die mit demselben Gerät per Funk zu tun haben dieses Problem nicht.

Any help ????

Grimy
14-09-2011, 09:44 PM
I was so waiting for someone to do that............

mzee
15-09-2011, 12:17 AM
Very funny :-)
When I do a speed test on the two desktops I get 13.6Mbps down, & 0Mbps Up, Zilch!
When I try to upload files to a website it makes a connection and transfers one small file then stops.
Browsers are normal, Email is normal.

Two Laptops connected to the router by Wireless do not have any problems, showing an upload speed of .86Mbps and transferring files smoothly. This has been happening for about 3 days.

SP8's
15-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Sorry mzee ... couldn't resist !

But at least it you have described the problem in terms that someone might be able to understand more easily and therefore, be able to post a solution. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the technicalities to help, but do understand the problem now !

15-09-2011, 10:19 AM
could be:
faulty LAN cabling
faulty hub/switch
faulty ports on the router
issues with AV or 3rd party firewall etc etc on the PC's (quite likely)
etc (Im sure there are more possiblities)

Id try another router 1st, If you can borrow one .

Can the PC's send email via outlook?? with attachments?
Can the PC's send email via Webmail ?? with attachments?
Both of these would prove uploads were actually working

mzee
15-09-2011, 02:06 PM
could be:
faulty LAN cabling
faulty hub/switch
faulty ports on the router
issues with AV or 3rd party firewall etc etc on the PC's (quite likely)
etc (Im sure there are more possiblities)
Id try another router 1st, If you can borrow one .

Can the PC's send email via outlook?? with attachments?
Can the PC's send email via Webmail ?? with attachments?
Both of these would prove uploads were actually working

Both Desktops will send email using 'Free Agent' & 'Thunderbird'
I have changed the cables and tried other ports.
Have tried disabling the Firewalls.
Have tried disabling 'Microsoft Security'.
It seems that only FTP and Speed tests are affected.

I will ask Orcon to send me another Genius as they can't help. I am waiting for an Email from the manufacturers in Australia (BoB Lite support@iinet.net.au).

Agent_24
15-09-2011, 02:58 PM
As fred_fish said, the fact that you can actually browse the Internet means you _can_ upload. Otherwise, you would never be able to send the request to any website to get the actual data, nor would you be able to send ACKs.

Have you tried turning your router and PCs off for a minute, and starting it all back up again?

SP8's
15-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Not a good idea to disable firewall and security / AV. Try disconnecting ONE of the desktops from the router by taking out the Ethernet cable from the back of the router ... see if it solves the problem with the other desktop.

Report back ... :D

YEEEEeeee HAaaaa The Green Machine Returns ... :D :D :D

mzee
15-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Not a good idea to disable firewall and security / AV. Try disconnecting ONE of the desktops from the router by taking out the Ethernet cable from the back of the router ... see if it solves the problem with the other desktop.

Report back ... :D

YEEEEeeee HAaaaa The Green Machine Returns ... :D :D :D
I unplugged both desktops and plugged in my little Asus Eee701. Same thing happened ie: 13Mbps down and nothing up.
It works perfectly on Wireless.