PDA

View Full Version : Anyone playing "Battlefield: Play4Free"?

goodiesguy
13-09-2011, 07:13 PM
http://battlefield.play4free.com/en/

Anyone playing here playing it?

I started playing it the other day, and it's got to be one of the best ones i've ever played. I forgot how good battlefield was and this game is my first time playing online against real people. For a relatively new game (released this year and only out of Beta a few months ago), the graphics are good, and it supports older hardware as well as newer, so most people can play. I am unsure of how to select a specific server, as it only has a play now button in the client, but it's still good. I am also unsure if there are any New Zealand servers, as the ones i've played on are either US or UK servers, so there is a bit of lag here and there.

The game mechanics are pretty good, gun accuracy is pretty spot on. A few of the controls are a bit finicky, but this will probably be fixed in updates, or playing around with settings.

If anyone already plays, and wants to know who i am. I go by the username "NormanClegg" and im a medic, level 6 almost 7.

A few screenshots/pictures:

icow
13-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Had it. Hated it cause its a complete money spinner. Bf2 was way better.

The graphics are inconsistent and ****.
The weapons are terribly balanced.
The stats and upgrades are terribly balanced
There was like 4 maps when I was playing (only one of them was actually good)
They ruined gulf of oman or whatever its called.
Uses a useless match making system.
You have to rent servers (mean that there are no low ping servers as we are super stingy here in NZ)
You have to get an upgrade to use helicopters and jets when you could use that point on a slightly more useful imba stat.

Agent_24
14-09-2011, 01:54 PM
It looks a lot better than BF Heroes... BUT if what icow says is true... I think I'll stick with Battlefield 1942 and Desert Combat.

goodiesguy
14-09-2011, 02:12 PM
It looks a lot better than BF Heroes... BUT if what icow says is true... I think I'll stick with Battlefield 1942 and Desert Combat.

It's heaps better than Battlfield Heroes. I played battlefield heroes for about 2 days last year and gave up.

I think icow is exaddurating a wee bit. Yes, some aspects aren't that great, but it's a great game, is fun to play, and i'm starting to pwn people, and i'm only a medic with a shitty gun and no grenades.

I recon it's worth a try. More fun than "Counter Strike: Online" by Nexon.

Agent_24
14-09-2011, 02:25 PM
I guess I'll give it a try at some stage, but I don't see much point. I already own BF1942, and Desert Combat is an awesome mod, why play something else?

The advantage BF1942 also has is you can host your own games, and you can join whatever games you prefer. BF Heroes on the other hand forces you to join some random game of its choosing, which is the #1 reason why I don't play it.

If this game also does the same thing then I'll consider it a write-off.

icow
14-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Any paid version of battlefield would be way better. I play bad company 2 and battlefield 2. BTW Play4Free is based off battlefield 2.

Agent_24
14-09-2011, 03:12 PM
I never liked Battlefield 2 for some reason. Maybe something to do with the system requirements vs my computer at the time it was released. I guess it would run great on my machine now, but I can't be bothered. BF1942 already works and I already paid for it.

jareemon
14-09-2011, 03:25 PM
My little brother recommended it to me, I'm about to give it a try

Agent_24
15-09-2011, 12:48 AM
Seems you can't play it if you use Opera.

Strike 1.

skeptile2
15-09-2011, 09:27 PM
hey big brother :) yep, I play it, but ill probably ditch it when I get battlefield 3. I have 2 logins, look up skeptile2, skeptile3, skeptile67, anddddd, cant remember the other one.

Agent_24
16-09-2011, 06:18 PM
I tried it, it's a hell of a lot better than BF Heroes but it has some pretty bad problems.

1) Graphics settings reset to lowest every single time I launch the game
2) Looking down sights on your weapon will randomly blur the entire screen
3) When you die, you get extreme lag while it 'loads other people's customizations'
4) It keeps randomly locking up and I have to kill it with taskmanager.
5) It has to launch through the website which is pissing me off.
6) The default helicopter controls make flying the thing feel like trying to move push a large block of lead through frozen treacle with your little finger.

icow
16-09-2011, 07:14 PM
The lag thing happened because of an update. It was fine for the first few weeks I played. Then an update came out and I got the same kind of lag. Also because it's plugin based (for the web start) you have to wait before updating to the latest browser as the plugin usually wont support the new browser for a while (ea and/or dice can be quite slow to update the plugin).

goodiesguy
14-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Been playing this for awhile now.

Only issues are, when other computers are connected to the internet, lag happens, and it seems to have quite a few "There is a problem with your connection" error's, when there is nothing wrong with my connection, and i've even fowarded my ports for it.

Apart from that, it's a pretty good game.

Agent_24
14-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Have they fixed the stupid 'loading customizations' lag?

goodiesguy
14-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Nope. I was on it yesterday and it still has that awful lag.

Agent_24
14-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Pathetic

goodiesguy
14-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Pathetic

Yup. I'm nearly ready to give up on it. But it's the only free FPS to my knowledge that has boats, and tanks etc, that the user can operate and use to defeat the oposing force.

Agent_24
15-10-2011, 01:04 AM
Oh yeah it's a good game, I meant it's pathetic they haven't managed to fix their own screwup yet.

goodiesguy
27-10-2011, 09:42 PM
God dammit!! i get new computer parts which allow me to play this with decent graphics, then a worldwide error occurs.

If anyone else plays this, how the hell do i fix the "matchmaking error"?

Agent_24
27-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Have you tried manually browsing the server lists?

goodiesguy
27-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Yep, just noticed that today too. I haven't played the game in nearly a week. I'm gonna check the battlefield forums later, to see if there are any replies.

goodiesguy
05-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Restarted the router, and it fixed the error. I played the game yesterday on my new setup, and......WOW!!! some amazing graphics.

I've gone from running it on lowest settings in a window, to the Highest settings, in full screen with DirectX 10. The graphics are really realistic, and apart from the ocasional bit of lag (due to there being no NZ servers), it's a really good game.

Agent_24
05-11-2011, 02:35 PM
You should be able to go into the server browser and specify servers from 'Asia' which might help the lag problem.

icow
05-11-2011, 02:52 PM
I hope they ditch matchmaking or have they?

Agent_24
05-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Automatic selection is still there last time I checked but you can also pick a server manually too now.

goodiesguy
05-11-2011, 04:06 PM
You should be able to go into the server browser and specify servers from 'Asia' which might help the lag problem.

So asian servers are closer to NZ?

Most of the servers that seem to show are official P4F servers and the 24/7 Dragon Valley server.

Agent_24
05-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Well the Asia servers I joined had no problem with ping, yet most people who tried joining (I expect from USA) got kicked for high ping.

goodiesguy
05-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Have just tried the asian servers, and yeah, less lag.

Dammit though, these people are pwning me. Or it could be that im not used to my new gun, but my new gun is better, and shoots faster. Better than the big heavy machine looking gun that medics come standard with.