PDA

View Full Version : Computer not booting into Windows

lakewoodlady
13-09-2011, 02:50 PM
I have a computer here that had WinXP SP1 only on it, so I downloaded SP3 onto it. However it would not install. So then I downloaded SP2 onto it and that installed fine. But, now it won't boot into Windows at all. It had 512MB RAM.
When I try to start it in safe mode the only option that comes up highlighted is Start Windows normally. Arrow keys and Enter don't work, they do work in the BIOS though.

I thought it maybe a RAM problem, so put in another matching stick of 512 MB to bring it up to 1 GB,but that doesn't make any difference. Is it entirely stuffed now? It's just an old one that I like to experiment with, so not really important. I would like to try though and see if I can make it usable.

Cheers, LL

Bryan
13-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Have you tried to start by booting from the XP program installation disk?

Bryan
13-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Another thought! Is it possible to roll back to and earlier setup?

lakewoodlady
13-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Have you tried to start by booting from the XP program installation disk?

Yes I have, but nothing changes. It still won't boot. As for rolling back to earlier set up, as I said in my post, it won't boot past Windows screen. Unles you can do that in the BIOS somehow.

LL

dugimodo
13-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Is it a USB keyboard? if so look for something like USB legacy support in the BIOS and turn it on if it isn't. Alternatively if the PC has a PS2 keyboard socket and you can find one use that instead as they work more reliably prior to windows starting.

Also have you got the CD/DVD drive slected to boot first in the BIOS? if not it will ignore the disk and still boot from the hard drive.

sounds a lot like the update messed up so maybe if you can get it to boot off the CD the best thing would be to wipe the hard drive and start from scratch.
Rolling back should also work if you can manage it.

lakewoodlady
13-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Is it a USB keyboard? if so look for something like USB legacy support in the BIOS and turn it on if it isn't. Alternatively if the PC has a PS2 keyboard socket and you can find one use that instead as they work more reliably prior to windows starting.

Also have you got the CD/DVD drive slected to boot first in the BIOS? if not it will ignore the disk and still boot from the hard drive.

sounds a lot like the update messed up so maybe if you can get it to boot off the CD the best thing would be to wipe the hard drive and start from scratch.
Rolling back should also work if you can manage it.

Ok, I pugged in a spare PS2 keyboard and that worked with choosing the options in Safe Mode. I tried Last known good config and Safe Mode with Networking. Neither of those helped.

Yes I have it set in the BIOS to boot from cd. It still only starts to load Windows, then stops. I have previously left it on at that part for over half an hour and nothing happened.

How would I find where to roll it over in the Bios set up?

LL

AvonBill
13-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Boot off a Linux boot CD. There are heaps around, in fact the June 2011 PCWorld DVD contains an Ubuntu ISO to make a disk if you don't have one. At least you can use it to test the hardware.

wainuitech
13-09-2011, 05:20 PM
See if this is of any help -- Boot from the windows CD, select R to enter the recovery console, when you get to the password for administrator, simply press enter, when at the command prompt, type in chkdsk /r let it run through, see if it boots after that.

lakewoodlady
13-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Boot off a Linux boot CD. There are heaps around, in fact the June 2011 PCWorld DVD contains an Ubuntu ISO to make a disk if you don't have one. At least you can use it to test the hardware.

Would booting off a Linux cd work even if the original Windows cd won't?

LL

lakewoodlady
13-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Ok, I selected R, Then it asked me at the cmd prompt, which installation I wished to logon to. What would I type there? Directly above that it says c:\WINDOWS. It seems to only let me type in 1 character there. If I press Enter, it just cancels and exits the Recovery Console.

LL

wainuitech
13-09-2011, 06:29 PM
yep type in 1 <press enter> Make sure you use the numbers along the top of the keyboard, as the num lock may be off on the numeric keys on the right.

Assuming it only has one OS on it.

You should end up at the prompt C:\windows>

lakewoodlady
13-09-2011, 06:32 PM
ok, got that far, now do I type chkdsk?

lakewoodlady
13-09-2011, 06:42 PM
I went ahead and typed in chkdsk/r and was told it was invalid command. So I typed chkdsk and it said the volume is good and was not checked.

LL

Speedy Gonzales
13-09-2011, 09:02 PM
I would remove the hdd / put it in a working system, and scan it for malware

linw
13-09-2011, 09:05 PM
I went ahead and typed in chkdsk/r and was told it was invalid command. So I typed chkdsk and it said the volume is good and was not checked.

LL
Did you leave a space after chkdsk?

wainuitech
13-09-2011, 09:13 PM
As linw mentioned the space.

Single space after k and before /

chkdsk /r

lakewoodlady
13-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Ah ha, no, Will try that again tomorrow with the space.

Many thanks brain is tired, off to bed now.

LL

lakewoodlady
13-09-2011, 10:40 PM
@ Speedy. I have another working machine I could swap out the hdd with. Anything special I have to do? Or just take one out/put other one in.

LL

Speedy Gonzales
14-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Dont swap it put the hdd you remove in the case (with the working hdd). Remember to change the bootdisk in the BIOS (to the working hdd first). Since installing the bung hdd may make it the default bootdisk

SP8's
14-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Ah ... shouldn't you put the - possibly corrupt HD - in the working computer as a slave drive to allow for scanning ? ... this would mean you'd have to change the jumpers on the corrupt HD to slave, boot off the working HD and perform the scans.

:2cents:

Speedy Gonzales
14-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Well its either that or reformat / buy another one. And reinstall windows. It doesnt say anywhere, whether its SATA or IDE

lakewoodlady
14-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for those comments guys. This morning when I tried the chkdsk /r it ran ok and when it finished it told me that Recovery had found and fixed two problems. I then tried booting it in safe mode, but it still won't fly. It gets stuck at the page full of multi somethings.

I might just give up throw it over a cliff, but first use the RAM out of it for another one I've got here that will take it. It's not essential that I save it, I'll just rat parts from it. lol

LL

wainuitech
14-09-2011, 01:36 PM
OK -- So that didn't work -- did it actually turn to custard after installing SP2 and then not booting ?

If so theres still other things that can be done, a repair install with a XP SP2 or SP3 CD for example.

lakewoodlady
14-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Yep, turned turtle when SP2 installed. Yeah I know I could load Win XP SP2 (I have a win XP SP2 disc), but it really doesn't matter, as the only thing I wanted to get back was the OE address book. Not important in the great scheme of things. I will have a think about what I want to do with this poc sitting on my kitchen bench. It might just end up in the skip.

Thanks for help anyway.

Cheers LL