PDA

View Full Version : LCD Monitors

Brucem
13-09-2011, 12:54 PM
I am looking for a new monitor. At present I have a 19" Philips 109s CRT monitor. It is several years old and cost about $1000 when I bought it. I am a little concerned that LCDs generally have a different aspect ratio, and are much wider than the old LCD. The machine is used for emails, MS Word, browsing, Access, Excel, Publisher, probably in that in that order of importance. When using Word, I think the wider screen would be of less use, but for some other things it would be useful. The machine is of course a desk top, with a Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2 motherboard, with an Intel core 2 Duo E4400 2.0GHz CPU, it is just over 4 years old. It has 2Gb RAM, and is running XP SP3. It is in an alcove where the maximum width available for the monitor is 560mm. The only monitor output is VGA. My qestion is: what aspect ratio and size should I go for, has anyone any specific recommendations?

Zippity
13-09-2011, 12:58 PM
You can never have a screen that is too wide :)

Multiple windows and spread sheets dictate width.

13-09-2011, 01:53 PM
get a 22" & you'll be OK.
some widescreens an be rotated to make them tall , not wide

old format(4x3) monitors are still available, but are expensive & hard to find(in stores)

inphinity
13-09-2011, 02:09 PM
The narrow 560mm alcove is going to make this difficult, most 21.5"/22" monitors range from about 520mm - 580mm in width so you'll need to watch that. I'd probably go for a Samsung B2230.

Zippity
13-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Maybe you should resite the location of your PC - problem solved :) :)

Morgenmuffel
13-09-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm also not that fussed on the aspect ratio of the newer monitors, However, what i have found improves it is to have the windows taskbar, on the right hand side of the screen rather than at the base of the screen.

And if you only have a small alcove to fit it in, then you are going to need to either buy it from a local shop where you can measure it, or get a retailer to give you the measurements

dugimodo
13-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Because most monitors sold these days are widescreen 16:9 web content and programs are being developed with them in mind. Text also looks clearer and in my opinion LCDs are easier on your eyes over long sessions.
They also use less power, weigh a lot less, and take up a lot less desk space.

Get one, you won't regret it. Buy the biggest one that will fit in your alcove and marvel how huge it is compared to the old 19" when you start using it. You'll have to check for a VGA input as many models no longer have one. On the downside, LCDs do not scale well so if you use any software that won't run at the native resolution it will look bad (mostly games and old software).
Another problem, they just don't pump out heat like CRT's so your room will be colder in winter. Could be a deal breaker.... :P (seriously though a friend of mine really noticed the difference :lol:)

pctek
13-09-2011, 09:28 PM
At present have a 19" Philips 109s CRT monitor. running XP SP3.

Congrats on the new monitor, you'll be impressed once you get used to it.

The one thing I have come across is people with eyesight issues, not necessarily just the elderly.
I know one still hanging on to the CRT because with LCD, the resolution (native) is higher, therefore with XP, the text and icons on desktop are a lot smaller. He can't read it and finds it annoying, we went through the use Large Icons, Large txt thing but it doesn't do that well in XP.

Win7 on the other hand is brilliant with LCDs, so easy to adjust everything and still have it all crisp and lovely.

You can not use the native res on an LCD but really, it's hideous.

If you don't have any issues with reading the screen, then it's just a matter of preference, note the native res - the higher it is, the squittier it will be.
But just note the width to fit your space it will sit in and go check out a few. You could go into a shop that has some setup and compare desktops among brands to see what you like better.

Oh and the other thing, it takes up so much less room (apart form width) and are so light, you'll wonder why you didn't switch ages ago.

Iantech
13-09-2011, 10:53 PM
4.3 screens are still available if you dont want wide screen. HP, Dell, Samsung, LG, Viewsonic all make 19" LCD 1280x1024 res. They are a little more expensive than wide screen formats now though. When buying a wide screen, just make sure your graphics card will support the required resolution, or you may end up having to upgrade that or put up with a non native screen resolution resulting in blury text and a warped looking picture. Good luck.

jareemon
14-09-2011, 12:51 AM
I got a 19" Philips 109s a year ago from the second hand shop for $10 :D