PDA

View Full Version : USB line-in recording

rbishop
13-09-2011, 11:54 AM
I am using HP nc8430 running XP professional SP3 and trying to record from Xitel pro hifi link. When I plug in the USB cable, the computer beeps to recognise the connection, but I get no input from the device.
Checking the "Sounds and Audio Device Properties - Hardware" tab shows the USB Audio is installed - all of the 4 components (Audio Devices, Midi Devices and Instruments, Mixer Devices, and Line Input Devices) are registered and indicated as "enabled and functioning properly" and the "Use ... features on this device" is selected.
However, when I go to the "Sounds and Audio Device Properties - Audio" tab, only the Sound Playback iindicates USB Audio; Sound recording default device remains "SoundMAX HD Audio", and no USB AUdio device appears in the drop-down box.
I have "Use only default devices" checked.
I also have the Logitech N700 Speaker Lapdesk plugged in, but this problem predates the acquisition of the lapdesk.
I have not been able to get any useful advice from HP. I think all my drivers are up-to-date.
Where can I go from here?

Speedy Gonzales
13-09-2011, 12:07 PM
What else is on the cd?? Besides maybe the drivers? And what you are using, to record whatever? Was the program on the cd as well?

KarameaDave
13-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Have you tried unchecking 'Use only default devices' ?

this is their support page
http://www.xitel.com/USA/support_hflpc.htm

Speedy Gonzales
13-09-2011, 01:20 PM
You may have to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS? Its not plugged into a USB hub is it? If it is, plug it into a USB port

rbishop
15-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the reply. There was no CD involved.

rbishop
15-09-2011, 01:27 PM
I've now left a message at their support page - nothing listed on there at the moment about line-in - the most common problem seems to be with line-out signals. I'll try unchecking default devices (windows magic mumbo-jumbo)

rbishop
15-09-2011, 01:28 PM
I'll have a look at the bios and see if that's an option. The Xitel device was plugged directly into a USB port on the computer, not a hub

rbishop
16-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks for your interest folks. I have just had a reply from Xitel who tell me that the Pro HiFi link is actually not designed for line-in recording. Aaaaaagghhh!