PDA

View Full Version : Award bootblock

14-10-2001, 02:25 PM
Went to bed and turned off my computer, and when morning comes i turn it on. only to see a message

award bootblock

BIOS checksum error

something about booting from a:\ and then it says invalid system disk, insert system disk and press enter.

what does all this mean and what do i do?

14-10-2001, 03:12 PM
Check if you have you left a floppy disk in the disk drive?

14-10-2001, 03:14 PM
Maybe a virus???

14-10-2001, 04:28 PM
The BIOS checksum error could mean that the saved setup information has been lost. This would mean that the battery has died (possibly to short).Or you have had a power surge that has zapped the BIOS chip. Has the computer been losing track of date and time?
The time stuff is not included in the BIOS checksum,so a battery going down will only cause the clock to drop out. Try getting into the syetem SETUP routine(Press DEL while starting). Have you got an Emergency Start disk to try?

14-10-2001, 06:30 PM
Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head Graham. The checksum error will more than likely due to loss of information stored in the bios such as hard disk settings and this is why it can no longer find the operating system (and therefore requesting a boot disk).

The BIOS should display which key to press to enter the bios (usually F1, F2, Del, Esc or a combination), from there you should be able to autodetect the hard disks.