PDA

View Full Version : smart-phones, sound-docking/playing system like iPhone & BOSE

timmy5953
12-09-2011, 10:52 PM
I’m planning to update my old cell phone, and my home sound system, which has raised a few questions. Except for the price, there is a lot to like about Apple iPhone 4, especially if coupled with a BOSE sound-dock [for both re-charging the phone and providing high quality audio output of the phone’s audio files].
I want to stick with Telecom as my supplier. From what I can make out, Telecom does not promote (& maybe doesn’t allow) registration of Apple iPhones on its network. True or false? And does anyone know of a sound-docking unit that performs similar functions as BOSE does for apple phones, but for non-apple (android) smart-phones?

dugimodo
12-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Apple have it all over the competition when it comes to peripherals, which is a shame because I'd love a dock for my Galaxy. I haven't been able to find ANY accessories for it other than cases and screen protectors.

psycik
13-09-2011, 07:55 AM
This is why i chose iPhone over a similar priced android. Sure android is more customisable, the apps are similar for both, and some of the video features of Android is better. But iPhones/iPods etc have it down on everything with audio docks, chargers etc.

I have a Clock Radio in the bedroom that takes my phone, by car stereo (sony) takes the phone, and I added an Apple Tv to the lounge, which can play music off itunes....or the best feature, the iphone (and ipods etc) can push music to it over the wireless

plod
13-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Im not saying BOSE is bad, but don't be fooled into thinking their are the best. Let your ears do the listening. I have heard some nice bose gear, and some **** bose gear especially there small systems.
Buy Other Stereo Equipement

Alex B
13-09-2011, 09:40 PM
From what I can make out, Telecom does not promote (& maybe doesn’t allow) registration of Apple iPhones on its network. True or false?

False, you can buy an iPhone from anywhere, put a Telecom XT microsim in it and it will work on telecom, you have to change a few settings, but its simple the instructions are in the microsim pack.

Chilling_Silence
14-09-2011, 08:17 AM
This is why i chose iPhone over a similar priced android. Sure android is more customisable, the apps are similar for both, and some of the video features of Android is better. But iPhones/iPods etc have it down on everything with audio docks, chargers etc.

I have a Clock Radio in the bedroom that takes my phone, by car stereo (sony) takes the phone, and I added an Apple Tv to the lounge, which can play music off itunes....or the best feature, the iphone (and ipods etc) can push music to it over the wireless

So instead of going with an industry standard that is decades and decades old for audio transfer, you're suggesting the new contender that is only 9-12 years old is better? Because it charges?

;)

jareemon
14-09-2011, 11:03 AM
especially there small systems

*their :D

plod
14-09-2011, 12:23 PM
*their :D
Thanks for that, I was beginning worry

The Error Guy
14-09-2011, 06:37 PM
If I had an android Phone I would set it up with a remote media app so that it would remote control the music on a separate PC since the files synced on the device would be the same on the PC.

The benifets of that include:

Cheap - Quality sound system that doesn't require any special docking system (and phone most likely cheaper too)
Easy to manage
Save space, lower quality files on phone, HQ files on PC
Cross platform compatibility - control from any phone, PC etc

Over all the setup described is a little more complex but will definitely be cheaper and be a bit more robust. I'm not sure about you but pretty much EVERY idevice dock I have come across has broken requiring the player to be propped up in order to work. Also since the phone will be wireless you can actually use it as a PHONE, remembering the point here is you want nice music and a nice phone. Not much point in having a phone if its bolted into a stereo all the time, you might as well just set up a PC with remote song management anyway.

Another point is, should you upgrade to android or some other device (if you went with apple) then your speaker system would require another update.

With the PC speaker system you can even set it up with your TV, use the droid as a remote (or any wireless keyboard/mouse) and play photos, movies music etc over the sound system and TV. Lovely.

My personal tenancy is to avoid apple because its nice until you realize it has a lot of dependence on other apple products to really work well and is often incompatible with other products. Lots of tweaks to get apple playing nice with windows sometimes. (ipod + itunes and its DACP protocol for one)

My :2cents:

Alex B
14-09-2011, 08:12 PM
So instead of going with an industry standard that is decades and decades old for audio transfer, you're suggesting the new contender that is only 9-12 years old is better? Because it charges?

;)

I reckon it is, especially with the likes of the Alpine ida-x305, suddley you have control of your audio from a system that's easy to operate when you're driving....it aint easy chaning song on any touch screen with out having to look down.

In other news: http://ca-fi.com/en/ unsure of quality, but that is pretty damn cool.

Chilling_Silence
15-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Fair point.