PDA

View Full Version : Window Vista won't see wifi signal until Wifi modem power cycled off and on

HornbyFlyBoy
12-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi guys

I live in a house where we run a PC, an HP Windows XP Pro laptop/notebook and an Asus Windows Vista laptop/notebook and we use a Telecom Thomson wifi adsl modem for internet etc. The PC and the HP Windows XP machines have no problems connecting to the wifi modem signal when the machines are turned on. They are completely reliable and faultless in getting their connections on startup. However with the Asus Vista machine when you power it up it fails to see and connect to the wifi modem. This happens every time the laptop is started. However if we then turnoff and the on the adsl wifi modem while the laptop is on, then it makes the connection and all is well again until that laptop is again switched off- when you turn the laptop on again you have to cycle to power on the wifi modem for it to work again.

As I say, the problem is only with the Asus Vista based machine- the others are faultless.

Any ideas? Any and all help greatly appreciated

Cheers.
P.S.
When the Thompson modem was installed all three machines connected with no problems. Current problem started a three months ago and has just become a joke. Help please.

Tbird650
12-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Does it use Windows or Asus software for the wireless connection and configuration?
I ask because I seem to recall solving a similar issue on a HP laptop (I think it was).
I disabled the HP wireless software and let windows manage configuration and connection.
Please post back if this sorts it. Be good to know...

Agent_24
14-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Try upgrading the WiFi card drivers on the Vista machine. I had really weird inconsistent problems on one of my laptops caused by out of date drivers.

HornbyFlyBoy
14-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Hi guys.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have found myself away from home for work the last couple of days. Should be home later tonight and will try what suggested.

Will report back and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again.

Cheers.