PDA

View Full Version : DVD/CD drive won't read disks

Greg
12-09-2011, 10:31 AM
The optical drive on my Asus laptop won't read any disks. It simply makes a bit of a noise while trying to read them, then goes quiet again, then goes through the cycle again repeatedly. Any ideas how I can fix this? The machine is about 3 years old.

Richard
12-09-2011, 11:00 AM
My guess is that the drive is stuffed and needs replacing. My HP drive failed the other day. Just wouldn't play either data dvd or music cd.

Snorkbox
12-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Try this:-

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

jareemon
12-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Have you tried flashing the firmware, updating the driver etc? what is the model and the OS you're running?

dugimodo
12-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Might be worth trying a cleaning disk just in case it's simply a dirty lens, any CD or DVD cleaning disk is fine, assuming you can get it to play.

Iantech
12-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Hmm, in my experience running a cleaning disk seems to scratch the lens on an optical drive and I wouldnt go near one.
If the problem is a dirty lens, a cotton bud and some alcohol or spirits that will evaporate rubbed lightly over the lens will work.

However in most cases I would recommend just replacing the drive, IMO they are not worth mucking around with for the cost of a new drive.

My :2cents: worth. Good luck.

dugimodo
12-09-2011, 02:00 PM
They are just soft brushes glued to a disk, unless they attach sandpaper to it there is no reason it should scratch anything. And some drives are Just to hard to get into to do it manually.
Nothing to lose when it's not working anyway.

I do agree about replacing the drive being cheap though, providing you are reasonably certain it's not a software fault.

Agent_24
12-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Nothing to lose when it's not working anyway.

Well if it's only not working because of dirt and you scratch it instead of cleaning it properly you did just lose a working drive.

wainuitech
12-09-2011, 06:35 PM
One way to test if its hardware or software (both can cause this type of problem) put in a bootable CD or DVD, doesn't matter what it is (A windows install or linux live CD/DVD will do), restart the Laptop, and make sure the first boot device is the optical drive in the BIOS, some laptops you can press F5 and that will bring up a boot menu. If it boots OK from the CD/DVD then its a software problem, if it doesn't it's a possible stuffed drive.