PDA

View Full Version : PC Upgrades - do people ever upgrade their CPU ?

Digby
11-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi Guys
Over the years I have built and upgraded quite a few PCs for myself.

I usually end up buying a motherboard and a CPU and some RAM.

Is this was others do, or do they find it is feasible to just upgrade the CPU to a more powerful model ?

Speedy Gonzales
11-09-2011, 01:43 PM
I was going to buy a 3.06 ghz for this (its 2.8 atm), and put this one in the other PC (since this is a 1066 fsb CPU, and the other is 800 fsb). But then, socket 775 mobos are pretty hard to find now ( wouldnt have a mobo for the other PC's CPU, if I removed it). So, I might just build a 1155 system. When I have the money and time

icow
11-09-2011, 01:53 PM
A CPU upgrade for me would probably mean new motherboard. Basically I would wait till a new gen of cpu before upgrading which will probably mean new type of socket.

dugimodo
11-09-2011, 03:43 PM
I always thought I would but I never have, By the time you can get a significant upgrade they tend to be horribly outdated. Even the 2.8 - 3.06 upgrade speedy mentions would only be a minor difference in practice.

For example, I recently sold my i7 920 and got the rig in my signature. The i7 was 2 years old and still a very nice machine. The only real upgrade worth doing on it would have been a 6 core cpu at approx $1K and it still would have been a 2 yr old pc.
You can get an I5 + MB + New RAM for a similar price or cheaper and the new sandy bridge chips are very quick.

I've been building myself PC's since the days of 386's and I never have.

Nomad
11-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Many many years ago yeah I did keep up with computer tech news but not anymore. At the time I also made sure what range of CPUs were supported on the motherboard.

Nowadays, I just buy what works together and ignore any future details. Since 1997 we just upgraded computers every 4yrs or longer so it is a full box upgrade but we do reuse the case and maybe the PSU.
We are also tending to go with onboard video now as we don't play games.

pctek
11-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Ages ago with AMD, before MBs changed so often.
But now it tends to be CPU, MB and RAM all in one go.

Snorkbox
11-09-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm with pctech on this one.

MrJ
11-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Same, I normally buy a decent CPU for a given setup and keep it until I change MB, which is normally when I change to a newer socket. I have a 640 x4 now, had it for a year and will keep it until I replace the lot.

Agent_24
11-09-2011, 06:08 PM
I upgraded from a Duron 1300 to an Athlon XP 2600+ once on the same board (actually the Duron got destroyed by the heatsink)

The rest of it, I've just upgraded the board too, because I've gone to a new socket type.

Generally I wait until my computer is so slow and pathetic for the current games that I have to upgrade, but not before then. I usually upgrade the graphics card at least twice before the rest of it.

jareemon
11-09-2011, 06:40 PM
I think most upgrades are just ram because it is one of the easiest ways to bump the performance up, with cpu upgrading you gotta fart around with thermal grease and what not.

PENTIUM
11-09-2011, 07:14 PM
It can be worthwhile fitting a quad CPU to AM3 and some AM2 motherboards now that these CPUs have become inexpensive. I have done a couple upgrades from Duron 140s.

mikebartnz
11-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Not really worth it in my opinion.

8ftmetalhaed
11-09-2011, 10:20 PM
I think not so, simply because of the fact that in most cases, people upgrading are doing so a few years after their initial purchase, at which point the entire lot on a new socket would be cheaper and more bang for your buck than a new cpu.

I could chuck a lga 1155 socket (or whatever, you know what I mean) i7 in my pc, but at the moment that would be a pointless upgrade. My current i5 does everything I need it to, beautifully.

I could upgrade if there was a faster, 6 core cpu made for my socket, but then that would probably require a new board that supports it.

Yeah it's kind of the one thing you buy and get stuck with.
Except with amd's am2/+/3 sockets. I love amd, even though my CPU's intel, in that regard.
You can win me over by telling me I can use my old stuff in my new product.
That's also why I love the PS2 and hate the ps3. ps2 can do ps1 games, PS3 can't AFAIK. At least, couldn't, at some point.

johnd
11-09-2011, 10:25 PM
I did a CPU upgrade recently for the first time since owning PCs from 1986 to now. My PCs recently are $100 ones off the bottom of the stack from work. My latest had a Celeron 3.2GHz. I need to run virtual machines for various OSs. The first thing I needed to do was to upgrade the RAM from 1 to 2 GB. This did not greatly improve the VBox performance so I installed a Dual Core 2.7GHz CPU - this made quite an appreciable difference.

Agent_24
11-09-2011, 11:35 PM
That's also why I love the PS2 and hate the ps3. ps2 can do ps1 games, PS3 can't AFAIK. At least, couldn't, at some point.

I think it could, but then they got rid of it, along with all the other features that made it useful.

Digby
12-09-2011, 07:11 AM
Thanks guys,

It seems that the general concensus is that it is best to upgrade the motherboard and the cpu at the same time.

It seems that by the time there is a worthwhile CPU increase the socket is out of date or you can get a new motherboard for a good price.

icow
12-09-2011, 08:37 AM
+1 for the conclusion

8ftmetalhaed
12-09-2011, 10:31 AM
+2.