PDA

View Full Version : Happy, non-moan Post - Netbooks

pctek
10-09-2011, 09:01 AM
I suppose I do post the frustrations more than the happy moments. But they mostly are more interesting.
However. A happy one......

Granddaughter has been given an ASUS EE900. Rest pwd last night, and got it going, and she happily watched kiddy youtube clips while daddy watched the rugby.

It's great. Daddy was surprised how similar to Windows and easy Ubuntu was to navigate, granddaughter took no time at all to learn the touchpad and clicks.

In fact it's easier for her - our mice on our PCs tend to be a bit big for her wee hands.

Lots of "I do it!" and cries of delight and much singing along with her video clips.

Cool little gadget, never looked at netbooks before but it's most useful for her. A wee bit underpowered on some of the higher res clips, but take it off fullscreen and it di well.

Don't know what version of Ubuntu it was but if it wasn't for gaming, I'd quite happily use it on my own PC.

Chilling_Silence
10-09-2011, 10:02 AM
The Eee 900 series came with a customized version of Xandros linux.

Good to hear, that's real cool :)

mikebartnz
10-09-2011, 10:24 AM
One thing I find with Linux as against Windows is how much better the mouse follows the action. Like when using the scroll wheel I don't have to click within a window frame to get action and can even scroll the window below without bringing it to the front. Very useful at times.

pctek
10-09-2011, 03:14 PM
The Eee 900 series came with a customized version of Xandros linux.

Ah. Previous owner changed it then - definetely Ubuntu now.Which is fine, and very pretty.