PDA

View Full Version : amd am2+ pc died after installing win7 updates, any ideas please?

MrJ
09-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi!
I built a PC for a friend and it's been working fine. It has a GA-MA770-S3 rev2, an AMD 7750 BE and was running with a 5450 and 2x 1gb of HyperX 1066 RAM.
It was modified (carefully) and had a 9600GT put in, using driver sweeper. At the same time, the RAM was swapped for 4gb of cheapo RAM from an old Phenom prebuilt.
It has been working well since but after downloading windows 7 updates and being shut down, it no longer boots or posts. There is a constant beep also.
If it helps, the PC was running stock speeds (system is fine for his needs so o/c not necessary) and had been on for a period of a few days before being shut down.
The WIN7 install is recent, a new HD with xp immediately upgraded to 7 Home Premium.
The poor lad who has it now is distraught, tomorrow is his WoW raid night. Any ideas on what may be the likely cause, and if there's a few primary steps to go over.

I'm going there tomorrow so will do the obvious clear cmos and try different memory.
Thanks for any help you can give :)

Speedy Gonzales
09-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Was it a clean install of Win7?

MrJ
09-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Pretty much. It has a new Hard Drive. XP Pro was loaded on and then it was upgraded to Win7 using the family upgrade pack all offline. It was working both with its original hd5450 and 2gb of RAM and was fine with its change of ram and card, both the original build and the changes operated online and updated Win7. However, the bulk of the windows 7 updates including possibly sp1 would have happened since the changeover.

gary67
09-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Sounds like one of the updates killed it then. Don't suppose you made an image of the hard drive when you upgraded it? If you have reload the image and see if it boots if it does then do the updates manually one at a time making a new image each time until it dies again

MrJ
09-09-2011, 08:33 PM
The XP was an old service pack 1a that I found at work. I 'borrowed' an xp key from one of the offline pc's and used that. It didn't need to go online to upgrade, other than that the disk was as new. MB, CPU are both a bit older being am2+ / ddr2 but I've had them a while and they seemed to be fine.

MrJ
09-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Righto, I was guessing it was an update but didn't know if that actually ever caused such a sudden death. There was no image so I guess after resetting and swapping memory I'll try to do a new install and update manually. ty for your help. Just hope I don't have any hassle with the 3 user limit on the os :)

mikebartnz
09-09-2011, 08:52 PM
It has been working well since but after downloading windows 7 updates and being shut down, it no longer boots or posts. There is a constant beep also.
That constant beep will tell you what is wrong. Find out what Bios it has then find out what the beep codes are for it.

feersumendjinn
09-09-2011, 10:12 PM
http://www.5starsupport.com/info/beep_codes.htm
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
These may help.
I would try memory first.
Don't think you'll have trouble with OS licenses, if you're putting it back on the same machine (authorising sends your machine hardware/software IDs to Microsoft).
It has been said that the best way to install W7 is a clean install.

gary67
10-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Have you tried booting from a live boot CD such as Puppy Linux? that will tell whether it's hardware or software

mikebartnz
10-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Have you tried booting from a live boot CD such as Puppy Linux? that will tell whether it's hardware or software
and how is he to boot from a live CD when he can't get past the bios post.

Paul Ramon
10-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Reseat the RAM. If that doesn't work replace it. A constant single beep could also indicate a stuffed graphics card.

MrJ
10-09-2011, 12:24 PM
OK so I looked up the beep codes and it says it is a power problem. I have checked the 20+4 pin as I know sometimes they don't always fit together well and also checked all the other power connections. They all seem alright but the problem persists. Tried swapping the memory back to the original hyperx and reset cmos. Still nothing. I'll next try a different psu just in case (it's a budget aywun case with psu included but it had decent reviews for what it is) and then I'll try the memory, graphics card and HD on the old phenom prebuilt's motherboard to check they are OK.
I'll let you know what I find.
I'm starting to lose faith in AMD, hope this is not related to the board or cpu. Been an ATI / AMD fan right back to my old 450mz (I think that was it) as I like the little guys but seem to have so much trouble with them :(

mikebartnz
10-09-2011, 12:34 PM
OK so I looked up the beep codes and it says it is a power problem. I have checked the 20+4 pin as I know sometimes they don't always fit together well and also checked all the other power connections. They all seem alright but the problem persists. Tried swapping the memory back to the original hyperx and reset cmos. Still nothing. I'll next try a different psu just in case (it's a budget aywun case with psu included but it had decent reviews for what it is) and then I'll try the memory, graphics card and HD on the old phenom prebuilt's motherboard to check they are OK.
I'll let you know what I find.
I'm starting to lose faith in AMD, hope this is not related to the board or cpu. Been an ATI / AMD fan right back to my old 450mz (I think that was it) as I like the little guys but seem to have so much trouble with them :(
The beep code tells you that it is a power problem and yet you are starting to loose faith in AMD. What strange thinking you have.:illogical:illogical

Agent_24
10-09-2011, 01:19 PM
I'll next try a different psu just in case (it's a budget aywun case with psu included but it had decent reviews for what it is)

The CASE might get decent reviews but anyone who thinks a cheap Aywun PSU is good is a moron. If it's brand new it _should_ be OK but that's no guarantee.

No matter if the PSU is the fault here or not, you should replace it with something else anyway. a cheap Corsair would be good.

MrJ
10-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Yay, I was starting to lean towards my AMD cpu dying as I ruled out a power problem but they are vindicated -on this one matter at least.
The beeps it turns out were not actual beeps, rather it was the sound of the hard drive trying to spin up. I looked on the net about it and got all these experts dismissing anyone who had the same sound. It's akin to a muffled beep, as if you put tape over the speaker.
It appears that the drive has seized, can't get it to spin up or be recognised even in another PC. Tried downloading the seagate tools but obviously it won't help as it just doesn't want to work.
It looks like it'll have to go back to Paradigm, I'll let you know if they are helpful when it comes to returns as they're about to get my other cursed MB back too.
HD is a new Seagate Barracuda 1tb, my first and possibly only departure from WD.

Thanks for all the advice, and yes I know the Aywun won't win any awards for its PSU. I have another one of those Neo Eco 620C's to go in its place. I'd still rate the Aywun over my rubbish stock 500w Coolermaster in any case - if only as a lesser of 2 evils.

Thanks again for your help :)