PDA

View Full Version : Windows Registry Checker

14-10-2001, 11:06 AM
While having a clean up, I accidentally deleted a Windows 98 file. When my computer was returned after repair, I now get on my desktop 'Windows encountered an error accessing the system registry. Windows will restart and repair the system registry for you'. I then receive acknowlegement that the repair has been done. The next time time computer is switched on, it starts all over again. Taking it back to the computer shop is a pain in the neck - can I avoid having to do so? I am a beginner, so keep it simple please.

14-10-2001, 11:14 AM
If worst comes to worst, you can always reinstall your version of windows, to repair stuff (won't delete any files)

14-10-2001, 11:14 AM
If you don't already have norton utilities, get a trial version at http://www.symantec.com/tbyb/ and run 'WinDoctor' this works great for registry related things. Otherwise, try searching for 'regclean' at www.microsoft.com

14-10-2001, 11:18 AM
Do you know which file you deleted? It might be possible to restore it from the CD.

Second thing you could try is Regclean, available from Microsoft and also on this months PCWorld CD. Regclean will attempt to remove invalid links.

Windows 98 also comes with its own utility to repair the registry, scanreg. Restart the computer in dos mode and type 'scanreg /fix'. If that doesn't work you may also have backup copies of the registry (windows makes these automatically when it starts) you could use. To resore a previous copy type 'scanreg /restore' at the dos prompt.