PDA

View Full Version : WINDOWS 7 FOLDERS

lorron
08-09-2011, 06:12 PM
WHEN I OPEN ANY FILES IN WINDOWS 7 64 BIT THE FOLDER OPENS SHOWING THE CONTENTS IN THAT FOLDER IN A LIST FORM AND I NEED TO CLICK ON BOX TOP RHS TO CLICK XTRA LARGE ICONS LARGE ICONS ETC

IS THERE ANY WAY ALL FOLDERS CAN BE OPENED SHOWING LARGE ICONS INSTEAD OF LISTS OF CONTENTS WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE ABOVE EACH TIME

THANKS RON

pctek
08-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Turn your Caps Lock key off, it's considered shouting.

follow these simple steps to fix this problem:

1. Type regedit in RUN or start menu search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now navigate to following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

3. Under "Shell" key, select "Bags" key and press "Delete" key. It'll ask for confirmation, click on Yes button.

4. Now right-click on "Shell" key and select "New -> Key" option. Give the new key name of Bags

5. Now right-click on "Bags" key and select "New -> Key" option. Give the new key name of AllFolders

6. Again right-click on "AllFolders" key and select "New -> Key" option. Give the new key name of Shell

7. Now click on this new "Shell" key and in right-side pane, create a new String value and give it name of FolderType and set its value to NotSpecified

lorron
08-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Hi PCtech,

Followed your instructions to the letter but sorry to advise after a restart your advice does not work and still when I open files I still get a list not as showing large icons

Ron

Iantech
08-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi Ron,
After you have changed your list to large icons or whatever you want. Go to (click on) Organise (upper top left side), click on Folder & Search Options, click on View Tab and click the button which says "Apply to Folders". Hopefully that should solve your problem for the folder of that type.

See how ya go.
Cheers

lorron
09-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Hi Iantech,

Thanks so much and now works as I require it and such an easy fix.

Yesterday Microsoft support NZ told me there was no way this could be done so that does not say much for Microsoft NZ support does ir

Regards
Ron

Iantech
09-09-2011, 10:03 AM
No problem Ron, welcome to the forums by the way and glad you got it sorted. You probably got some guy fresh out of a CPIT course who now thinks hes a tech and they didnt teach that there :lol:
Cheers

Digby
10-09-2011, 06:48 AM
This area of Windows has always annoyed me.

If I set a folder to a certain display method and then chose another one, it seems to remain on that one when I come back to the folder.