PDA

View Full Version : which ADSL2+ modem/router to purchase?

nmercer
08-09-2011, 06:53 PM
right my turn to ask for some advice please.

I'm in the market for an ADSL2+ modem/router, have just moved to Auckland from Wellington so no more TCL Cable, need to go down ADSL2+ path

Seems to be a lot of NZers recommending Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn

Does anyone know if this is flashable to DD-WRT or Tomato etc? Router doesn't seem to be listed in firmware databases, but I suspect under the covers is just a Broadcomm chipset

Ideally I want to use one of those firmwares as I use QoS and a VPN tunnel to overseas etc

I currently have a Linksys WRT54GL (Tomato Firmware) which obviously has no DSL modem in it, does anyone know if the Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn can be bridged into that in case the Netcomm itself can't be firmware flashed. I'd prefer an all in one to save power etc, but open to ideas

Thanks
Nathan

CYaBro
08-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Hey if you already have a WRT54GL I would get a Draytek DV120 and set it in bridge mode.
Pretty sure the Netcomm can't be flashed with DD-WRT as I've looked in the past, unless something has changed in the last few months.

You should be able to pick one up for under $100.

Chilling_Silence
08-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Non-Standard firmware can't be flashed on anything that has ADSL.
See my blog:
http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/the-importance-of-a-good-router/

Yeah get the Draytek DV120, run it in PPPoA -> PPPoE Passthru, to something like a WRT54GL. Run an older version of Gargoyle like 1.3.5.

Chilling_Silence
09-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Sorry, just noticed how short / sharp that reply was. Note to self: Don't jump on PF1 after a 14 hour working day :p

But anyways, ideally run the Draytek DV120 in passthrough mode or a Linksys AM300 in Halfbridge mode so that you don't end up suffering from double-NAT.
Gargoyle is great, allows cool things like per-device bandwidth allowances etc
Tomato is nice though in that you can establish certain types of VPN connections directly from the router itself, for example PPTP and OpenVPN connections.

Being the type of man I'm guessing you are, what with your employer, as well as your previous contributions to PF1, I'm going to guess you'll want to go down the "two device" route, as opposed to an all-in-one with the NB6Plus4Wn. Greater control & flexibility :D The power is negligable, and well worth the ongoing cost for sure! :D

inphinity
09-09-2011, 09:12 AM
+1 to Chill's suggestion, or if you really prefer an all-in-one device then Draytek's 2710N (not Ne), supports QoS, PPTP/L2TP/IPSec VPN etc. Imo it's a brilliant smallbusiness router because it is feature-packed - one warning though, the Web UI is not the simplest to manage if you're unfamiliar.