PDA

View Full Version : Error on Page – Disable Scrip??

ktee
08-09-2011, 04:46 PM
In Explorer view
Recently seem to be getting more “Error on pg” at the bottom though pg looks ok.
Also some pgs look ok until I go into print preview and when printing. They have heading moved down and imposed on top of text.
Used someone else computer to look at same site and
1) There’s is fine, plus they don’t get the advertising banner printed out through you can see them.

We both have popup blocker set
Both of us have “Disable Scrip debugging I/E” and “Other” ticked
I saw somewhere that if I “Disable script debugging (I/E) and just select Ok and not the apply that might fix it

But not sure if that would be the fix needed as hers works okay with them both ticked.
Only difference is I have Vista and she has XP

wainuitech
08-09-2011, 05:06 PM
What happens if you disable or enable the boxes, does it stop ?

Problem also , vista is unstable at the best of times, cant really compare the two OS's.

Same with IE - XP only goes to 8 where as Vista will accept 9 which has some different options / features available.

Safari
08-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Try going to Tools in IE and select Compatibility View

ktee
08-09-2011, 05:57 PM
What happens if you disable or enable the boxes, does it stop ?

Problem also , vista is unstable at the best of times, cant really compare the two OS's.

Same with IE - XP only goes to 8 where as Vista will accept 9 which has some different options / features available.

Ive got I/E 8. I did try disable debug. I had quite a few tabs open a the time. Everything became very slow and lots of the tabs said scrip error on this pg do you want to debug. In the end I reselected disable debug, every thing was still slow and eventually had to reboot as it said I/E not responding. (But lately this has been happening any way. Shall look for compatibility view now

Where is it ? got as far as tools
Whoops sorry found it went a bit to far into internet options

wainuitech
08-09-2011, 06:05 PM
compatibility view - in the address bar looks like a ripped piece of paper

Thats from IE9

Note: Its a work around if it works, not a fix, as there is a problem which can be caused by many things. Java, corrupted IE, infections for example may be a cause.

ktee
08-09-2011, 06:17 PM
yes thanks compatilbilty view has fixed those pgs, and now I know what that icons for.
Thanks all.

Safari
08-09-2011, 06:56 PM
compatibility view - in the address bar looks like a ripped piece of paper

Thats from IE9

Note: Its a work around if it works, not a fix, as there is a problem which can be caused by many things. Java, corrupted IE, infections for example may be a cause.

Well it is a fix in a way as if the website is not designed to render correctly with the more standards compliant IE8 there is not much else you can do.
Compatibility issues will appear on sites that are rendered in Internet Explorer 8’s most standards-compliant mode due to changes in IE to comply with standards.

When a web site says that it supports modern web standards, Internet Explorer 8 respects that and displays the site using its most standards compliant mechanism. In the majority of cases, this works out just fine. However, every once in a while, a page will not display correctly. Compatibility view: switches IE8’s rendering engine into a legacy mode that is compatible with older browsers (e.g., IE7)

ktee
08-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Interesting, its actually 3 different pages from the same sight (A newspaper Web Site). Even though they all come up with todays date, one was wriiten in 11 Oct 2006 (and prints fine on vista) the other two were written 19/10/2006 and 20/8/2007 and both need Compatibility option to print okay

Its a Copyright 2011, APN Holdings NZ Limited site

wainuitech
08-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Well it is a fix in a way as if the website is not designed to render correctly with the more standards compliant IE8 there is not much else you can do.
Compatibility issues will appear on sites that are rendered in Internet Explorer 8’s most standards-compliant mode due to changes in IE to comply with standards.

When a web site says that it supports modern web standards, Internet Explorer 8 respects that and displays the site using its most standards compliant mechanism. In the majority of cases, this works out just fine. However, every once in a while, a page will not display correctly. Compatibility view: switches IE8’s rendering engine into a legacy mode that is compatible with older browsers (e.g., IE7) All of thats is true, BUT as Ktee mentioned, on a friends PC the same sites work fine as expected.

So if a certain site works Ok on one PC it should work OK on another using the same browser - the fact that its playing up on Ktees Computer and not someone else's would indicate theres a problem someplace on Ktess system which is not allowing it to display correctly.

Its a work around only - these things dont get better, they get worse over time.

Safari
08-09-2011, 07:55 PM
All of thats is true, BUT as Ktee mentioned, on a friends PC the same sites work fine as expected.

So if a certain site works Ok on one PC it should work OK on another using the same browser - the fact that its playing up on Ktees Computer and not someone else's would indicate theres a problem someplace on Ktess system which is not allowing it to display correctly.

Its a work around only - these things dont get better, they get worse over time.

It is quite possible to get different results as one is using Vista and the other is using XP
There is a specific browser version of IE 8 for XP and another one specifically for Vista and they are not both the same thing.

wainuitech
08-09-2011, 08:46 PM
It is quite possible to get different results as one is using Vista and the other is using XP
There is a specific browser version of IE 8 for XP and another one specifically for Vista and they are not both the same thing. I know that -- but going by that explanation, every person who looks at the site in question that ktee is viewing, using IE & vista will have the same problem. Which I highly doubt is the case.

To Quote microsoft:
Method 2: Test a Web page from another user account, another browser, and another computer
Use another user account, another browser, or another computer to view the Web pages that triggered a script error to determine whether the problem persists. If the script error persists, there may be a problem with the way the Web page is written. You can probably ignore the error and disable script debugging as described in method 1.

If the script error does not occur when you view the Web page from another user account, browser, or computer, the problem may be caused by files or by settings on your computer. The pages work OK on another PC so that rules out the page(s) in question.

Another known cause is the temp internet files. Also Active Scripting, ActiveX, and Java could be causing problems, hardware acceleration can also cause it.

ktee
08-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Yes could be as Wainuitech says. I have had problems Active Scripting (I think) pg omn another site took ages and kept coming up with some sort of Script msg, just kept going on and on till it froze computer.
Two of the sites I refer to at begining of this msg
http://www.times-age.co.nz/news/early-childcare-centres-running-at-full-capacity/982405/ (One that showed wrong)
http://www.times-age.co.nz/news/childcare-centre-bid-upsets-neighbours/968247/ (One that was okay).

And the one with the script that kept running was zennioptical.com. So I use someone else compt or it crashes mine.

Safari
08-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Well I wonder how many people would be complaining that they had problems with a 5 year old page on the Wairarapa Times

wainuitech
08-09-2011, 09:52 PM
ktee --- Regarding the pages you have / are having problems with, have you tried them with another browser on your computer , either Opera or Firefox for example ?

I just open both of the linked pages as posted with opera, and they appeared to open fine, and the print preview looked as it should.

Edited:

Just a suggestion , something to try --- Disable any pop up blocker in IE, see what happens -- I just opened the pages in IE 9 and the pop-up as shown below appeared, didn't in opera. (both pages displayed fine - but did hang slightly until the pop up appeared)

ktee
08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Well I wonder how many people would be complaining that they had problems with a 5 year old page on the Wairarapa Times

When your researching topics or doing University study you often have to use old articles, and both were 5 yrs old, one worked one didn't and both the same site. I wan't complaining I just didnt understand why.

I was going to try another browser, but when it worked on I/E 8 on friends comp, I didn't bother.
But something I'll look at tomorrow, because as said recently I have quite a few pgs, other sites coming up saying error on pg.
But as not printing them didn't worry me .

ktee
08-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Well how strange I didn't either bother trying to disable popup blockers, cause as mentioned friends I/E 8 settings didn't have unblocked, but.. just tried it and yes its okay now too, As in displays good in print preview, whereas blocked doesn't

Is there any security probs for my computer if I selected "Disable Script " (not the blockers) to solve other script problems??