PDA

View Full Version : wireless router setup with out set up cd

starrekin61
08-09-2011, 01:47 PM
hi. i'm trying to set up a linksys wireless g router, model wusb45g. no set up disks with it, am getting lost on the procedure here. can anyone help? thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
08-09-2011, 02:08 PM

08-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Generally I never use those Cd's (awefull things)

Plug into it using network cable
On your PC, : start run cmd, ipconfig

you get something like this
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Type YOUR gateway into internet explorer, enter, bingo bango done

You may need to reset it(button on the back) if you have issues, that will wipe all settings in it.

lakewoodlady
08-09-2011, 02:57 PM
I set up a Telecom Thomson wireless one last week for someone. Never used the cd, just plugged it in, all the lights came on ok and away it went, happy as larry.

LL

starrekin61
08-09-2011, 03:05 PM
where do i find the gateway and ip address for the computer that is hooked up by modem to the internet/

Chilling_Silence
08-09-2011, 03:12 PM
The wusb45g is not a router, it's a USB Adapter.

Download the driver from here:
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/LATAM/en/support/WUSB54G/download

wratterus
08-09-2011, 03:14 PM
In XP click start and run and type cmd into the run box, in vista or 7 just type cmd into the search box on the start menu. Press enter. type ipconfig and press enter. The default gateway address 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.254, 10.1.1.1 etc is what you type into internet explorer.

I never use disks either, horrible things.

Edit - and after actually reading the intial post, not the most recent question, I see my post is rather unhelpful...

Guess you might need to get in later to change the wireless password. :p

starrekin61
08-09-2011, 03:43 PM
thanks guys. i'm still havbing problems getting it to recognize my cable modem. Cable company says their modem will not accept my wireless router. help guy never heard of a usb modem. will try tomorrow later, as i am on my daughter's computer to get online and she needs it. thanks again and will try all suggestions. just don't know why this is so difficult.

Safari
08-09-2011, 04:08 PM
As Chill said this is a Wireless Adapter that you connect to the computer USB port to allow you to connect to a wireless network
The cable modem you have would need to be a wireless modem/router for the the Wireless adapter to be able to pickup the wireless signal.
Who is your ISP

08-09-2011, 04:55 PM
just don't know why this is so difficult.

I think 75% of the issue is wrong terminology being used to describe problems :thumbs:
makes it a bit hard to figure out whats going on.

you want to use a USB wifi stick to connect to your wifi in your house ?? correct ??
or do you have no wifi at all & want to setup a wifi access point ??

starrekin61
09-09-2011, 07:28 AM
don't know if i have a wifi access point in my house. i have a cable modem (ISP is cablevision - optimum online), and a link sys wireless g usb router for the second computer. cable company "expert" told me he never heard of such a thing as a usb modem, then told me it wasn't compatible with my cable modem. he said something about mine being an ESL connection - not DSL. the link sys usb picks up wireless networks around me, but none of them is mine, nor do they have enough juice to access them.. what do i do?

inphinity
09-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Uhm if you don't have a modem/router that can act as a wifi access point, then you're not going to see a wifi network that's yours... the wusb54g is NOT a wireless router. It's a USB adapter to allow your computer to join an existing wifi network - which it sounds like you don't have. This is like having speakers but not stereo/radio to connect them to and wondering why you're not hearing anything.

So
Does your cable modem have a built-in wireless access point?
If yes, it probably is not set up if you're not seeing it in the wifi networks list.
However, I suspect it doesn't, and you'll need to get a wifi access point/router.

starrekin61
09-09-2011, 08:05 AM
okay, sorry about this mess I've got guys. Figured out I need to first create a wireless access point before I can use my usb router. I have an Actiontec (GT704WG) wireless modem/router. it is a brand used exclusively by another ISP. Probably why the guy didn't want to help me last nite in the first place. Will try hooking this up to the main comp, then the usb to mine. wish me luck. if any one has any suggestions, i'll gladly take all. i'll let you know how it goies. thanks for all the help. by the way it was the question asked about clarification that set me on the right path, i think, so thanks a bundle.

Chilling_Silence
09-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Yeah see it's not a "USB Wireless Modem", it's a USB "client" adapter. It's what your PC uses to connect to a Wireless Modem (But you don't have one), so it sounds like you need to get one and then go from there ...

Chilling_Silence
09-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Are you using ADSL or Cable for your internet though? That's an ADSL modem, and its not designed to be plugged into the back of a Cable modem...

starrekin61
09-09-2011, 08:35 AM
thanks. i just found all that out. dang it. what is the cheapest unit I can buy? or, advice on networking them? there's only one ehternet port on the back of the modem. i'm pretty sure it's a cable modem. thanks.