PDA

View Full Version : Piracy Law?

headshot
08-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Has anyone been affected by this? or maybe got a strike yet?

Speedy Gonzales
08-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Nup, because I've got better things to do

Roscoe
08-09-2011, 02:33 PM
How easy is to get caught? Are the authorities (or your ISP) monitoring you or are they monitoring known websites? If the latter is the case then it might be fairly easy to side step the monitoring by downloading from a not so popular site.

There is an alternative to downloading music that I have heard of that, in the end, amounts to the same thing as downloading but you are not downloading in the way that you might expect, but you can still have the music you want. Apparently it is not as fast as downloading but you are still able to capture the music you want without being caught. Sounds fascinating.

Chilling_Silence
08-09-2011, 03:13 PM
It's dead easy. The copyright holders and representatives on their behalf are monitoring the likes of TPB. Your ISP doesn't give a rats ass.

See my blog for a bit of a summary on it.

xyz823
08-09-2011, 03:30 PM
It's dead easy. The copyright holders and representatives on their behalf are monitoring the likes of TPB. Your ISP doesn't give a rats ass.

See my blog for a bit of a summary on it.

What about direct downloads such as from fileserve or rapidshare?

Edit: They don't lol, just read your blog. Good read.

psycik
08-09-2011, 03:41 PM
IMO there's no reason to be pirating music any more, there are more than enough legal ways of getting it.

The most plausible item to be pirating here is TV shows, as there is no legal way - without falsifying your address (physical or IP) and obtaining from overseas.

Just my 2c.

gary67
08-09-2011, 07:15 PM
IMO there's no reason to be pirating music any more, there are more than enough legal ways of getting it.

The most plausible item to be pirating here is TV shows, as there is no legal way - without falsifying your address (physical or IP) and obtaining from overseas.

Just my 2c.

Just wish all these legal places used .flac instead of crappy MP3 until then I will continue buying CD's

Safari
08-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Just wish all these legal places used .flac instead of crappy MP3 until then I will continue buying CD's

You must have perfect hearing and high end equipment Gary
Very few people can tell the difference between a properly encoded Mp3 and a FLAC

icow
08-09-2011, 07:41 PM
ironically FLAC also stands for Free Legal Advice Centers.

Digby
09-09-2011, 08:56 AM

Well said.

years ago I was happy with 128 bit rate.
Now I like 360, but flac is obviously the best.

I think itunes is only 192 ?

Chilling_Silence
09-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Yeah iTunes+ is AAC 192, significantly better quality than MP3's, but still not quite as nice as FLAC.

gary67
09-09-2011, 10:14 AM
I hate how Apple and others are forcing us to accept a lower quality of music and yet the focus is on illegal downloads instead of offering a quality alternative

dugimodo
09-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Any lossless codec would do, there are a few of them. Depends what you do with your music as well. If you just carry it around on an ipod and listen to it over earbuds then 192 is probably all you ever need. I have a failry good stereo but even then at 192 and above I dont really hear a difference.

I ripped all my CD's in lossless WMA so media centre can play them back, which was technically illegal until fairly recently. Glad they changed that stupid law.

gary67
09-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Any lossless codec would do, there are a few of them. Depends what you do with your music as well. If you just carry it around on an ipod and listen to it over earbuds then 192 is probably all you ever need. I have a failry good stereo but even then at 192 and above I dont really hear a difference.

I ripped all my CD's in lossless WMA so media centre can play them back, which was technically illegal until fairly recently. Glad they changed that stupid law.

Yes but in the future you won't be able to get the quality in the first place once CD's stop selling