PDA

View Full Version : Self correcting computers

Richard
07-09-2011, 05:14 PM
I am amazed at how often my computer manages to fix itself. Recently it has been taking about 5 or 6 minutes to shut down before rebooting. Today it is taking only about 30 seconds, so I can only assume that it has cleared itself of whatever bottleneck was causing the problem. It is certainly nothing I have done, so it must be the magic little system engineer inside. he has done a good job, and not for the first time either.

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Usually if it takes ages to shutdown, (likewise if it takes ages getting into windows), there's something in startup / running (before you reboot / shut down) thats making it hang. It has to quit properly / finish loading before it will continue

PPp
07-09-2011, 08:17 PM
This is know as "foolproof" ! Not a word I would associate with Windows. put it down to luck!! (if it is windows)(otherwise clever programming)(no bias involved here!)

wainuitech
07-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Sometimes theres updates installing (not just windows updates) and it appears to hang. Not every time do you get the message " please do not turn off your computer" bla bla.

Can also be the inbuilt windows system checker doing its thing, something triggers it and runs in the back ground.

Poppa John
07-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Of course there are 'self correcting computers', haven't you heard of Hal? PJ

gary67
08-09-2011, 09:10 AM
With the latest version of Skype that can't be shut down from the right click Win7 has to be told to force a shutdown. What a croc of sh*t by Skype