PDA

View Full Version : themaltake litepower 600W

07-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Hi there .
Has anyone had any actual experience with a Themaltake Litepower 600W . Or know of any issues
Its a cheap power supply(for 600W) so I have suspicions.

Ive a customers gaming PC Im looking at, I have the suspicion that PSU is not up to the job, but want to be sure as a good (Corsair etc) 600W PSU would be quite expensive .
Cheers

dugimodo
07-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Not personally no, but I do know the Toughpower range is aimed at gamers and Litepower at mainstream desktops.
http://www.thermaltake.com.au/psu-allseries.aspx shows the relative specs. Depending on the graphics cards the 12V rail may be on the light end of the scale. Should be ok for most single cards in a not too heavily loaded system. The TR2 series looks better.

I have built gaming machines in the past with a cheap AcBel 450W PSU by using a PSU calculator and carefully selecting parts (In the days of Athlon II and 9600GT).
Conventional wisdom though is dont skimp on the psu, it's the heart of your PC.

pctek
07-09-2011, 06:24 PM
I have built gaming machines in the past with a cheap AcBel

:(

OMG

I'd avoid TT, they lie too often about the watts.
Get a Corsair. Nasty PSUs aren't worth it.

dugimodo
08-09-2011, 11:07 AM
AcBel's PSU's are ok in my opinion, they make PSU's for cooler master I believe and their own PSUs are cheap in part because you can get them in oem version with no packaging.
Certainly I start out reccomending a corsair or similar but somple people just can't/won't spend the money on a PSU so you get the best you can on whatever budget you have.
I'd always allow extra headroom on a cheap PSU, eg cheap 600W < good brand 450-500W

Cheap name brand PSUs are all "optimistic" about the wattage, I just ignore it and look at the rated amps on each rail and research whats needed usining something like http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Then forget all that and buy a real PSU.

MrJ
09-09-2011, 09:21 PM
I just picked up an Antec Neo Eco 620C for a touch over $100 from paradigm. 620w, single rail at 48amps and 80+ cert.
Not modular although it has the nice black cable shrouds and it dosen't come with a power lead. I looked long and hard and it was the best one I found for the money over 600w