PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with mobile broadband

undefined
06-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi guys,

I plan to get myself a mobile broadband connection to use with my Notebook. The connection must be available on both north and south island. Speed doesn't matter so much as I will only use it for email checking, social networking and blog posting (including image uploads).

As far as I know 2degrees cannot provide a nationwide connection which leaves me with Vodafone or telecom, right?

Which one of them do you recommend, which has the better connection, which is cheaper?

And finally, is there any alternative source to get the surf stick instead of buying it from telecom or vodafone directly?

I'm open to your experiences. :)

Thanks a lot.

gary67
06-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Where 2 degrees don't their own coverage they use Vodafones but Telecom have better rural coverage down here on the mainlannd

pctek
06-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Mobile broadband :eek:

Vodafone coverage is spotty down SOuth. Which leaves Telecom.
They're both horrendous for cost.
Watch it, your data cap will vanish in 5 minutes and then they charge giantic amounts - per MB.

undefined
06-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks for your answers. So if one of them, then just telecom with regard to connection availability?

I'm also shocked about the enormous prices. I just want to go with a monthly prepaid plan, no contracts.

But are their any other real mobile alternatives to the two? And I don't mean internet cafes. :D

wratterus
06-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Telecom walks all over Vodafone in the nelson/tasman area, unfortunately 'all over NZ' there is no one providor that's best. in some areas vodafone is going to be better, in some telecom. I would always go for telecom because I prefer their software, and in most cases I've found their reception to be superior to Vodafone (Note I'm talking about 3g reception here, not vodafone's old GPRS which is hopeless for any kind of data).

There isn't any other viable option in NZ...bit of a shame.

undefined
06-09-2011, 12:35 PM
What a pity. So be it telecom. Basically all the cost are once for the stick and then monthly for the desired plan on a prepaid basis, right?

Do I necessarily need the original telecom stick for at least $80 or can it be any other stick?

wratterus
06-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Possibly a different stick could work, but it would need to be one of TC's supported models to work with their software. You could grab one off TradeMe, or the warehouse sells the prepay sticks.

mikebartnz
06-09-2011, 08:52 PM
What a pity. So be it telecom. Basically all the cost are once for the stick and then monthly for the desired plan on a prepaid basis, right?

Do I necessarily need the original telecom stick for at least $80 or can it be any other stick?
I just use bluetooth and my cell phone to connect to the net.

undefined
07-09-2011, 10:44 AM
@mikebartnz

The cell phone then functions like the stick?

Is it the same speed than going through the stick?

mikebartnz
07-09-2011, 08:20 PM
@mikebartnz

The cell phone then functions like the stick?

Is it the same speed than going through the stick?
I think it is pretty much the same speed but not having used one I only have someone else's set-up to compare it with.

Nomad
07-09-2011, 10:22 PM
2 Degrees is v expensive if you are not in a main city like Chch or Queenstown as they roam under Vodafone so the package deals are not available.

But I heard Telecom XT's network is better than Vodafone's :confused: