PDA

View Full Version : Education pricing on Macs

Beemer
05-09-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm currently lecturing part-time at Massey but am a contractor rather than a full-time employee. Does this disqualify me from being eligible for education pricing? I want to buy a Mac and of course I want to pay as little as possible, but the guy in the Mac shop said I had to convince Adobe for the software side of things - but he didn't mention anything about cheaper hardware.

Wondering if it's worth paying $500 extra for 1TB rather than 500GB too.

icow
05-09-2011, 10:10 PM
http://store.apple.com/nz/browse/home/education_routing?mco=OTY2ODQzMg it says you only have to be a "staff member". Wonder if the cleaning staff can get a discount too :D. Any extra $500 for another 500gbs is a rip off. YOu can get a 1tb HDD for around $90 now.

somebody
05-09-2011, 10:11 PM
You should be ok. Check out this site: http://www.lapshop.co.nz/all/index.asp?pageID=2145846862

Beemer
05-09-2011, 10:30 PM
You should be ok. Check out this site: http://www.lapshop.co.nz/all/index.asp?pageID=2145846862

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the Lapshop, I've bought stuff from them before when in was a student. I don't have a staff ID card but I do have a pay slip in my name which appears to be acceptable. The only problem I foresee is that it's in my maiden name which is what I work under, but the photo ID I also have to provide is in my married name!

I think I may contact them tomorrow just to double check before I try ordering anything. Getting education pricing on the computer may be more tricky but it's worth giving it a go. They can only say no!

Beemer
06-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Now, where to buy from? I had purchased my previous Mac through what was then Magnum Mac when they were in Christchurch, but after going into the Yoobee (who on earth came up with that name?) store in Wellington yesterday, I wasn't inspired to hand over the dosh. While the guy was initially pleasant and helpful, asking if he could write down the specs and prices of what I was interested in didn't seem to thrill him - "it's all on the website" - yes, and if that's all I'd wanted, I wouldn't have made the effort to come into the store in person in the first place!

I did find a company in Palmerston North called Edtech who are authorised Apple education resellers but I hadn't heard of them until now. I want to get a computer without the keyboard (or with an extended one if possible) as I already have a wireless keyboard that I got for my iPad (and have used once!). I also want a printer and Office and Photoshop software (which I should be able to get through the Lapshop).

Any recommendations for other places? Good service? I could buy through Noel Leeming, Dick Smith or Harvey Norman... but wouldn't mind buying it from a place that provides real service if needed!

Barnabas
06-09-2011, 03:19 PM
I bought my macbook air simply from the apple online shop. Used my wifes student id number and email address, as she is studying part time, to get the education discount and then 5 days later it turned up.

Never had to use the service options but the purchasing was simple and straightforward and I also got a free ipod touch which was the bonus at the time.

Edtech are a big name in supporting schools I.T, been around for quite a while now.

Hope that helps

B.

Beemer
06-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks Barnabas. If the worst comes to the worst, I suppose I could always get one of my students to purchase it for me!

I've emailed Edtech and am awaiting a response.